It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover Opportunity camera catches UFO?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Could be right. Because if those black discs would be UFOs, then there are many white UFOs on the pic, too!!

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meteor_of_War

Originally posted by kode

I have to agree with The Matrix, it could possibly be saucer shaped, it could be 3 saucer shaped objects flying in formation. It most definatley looks matalic.

I dont think so kode, i think the "three" parts of the object that you see are just from the blown up pixels of the image since it was angled in the pic.

While I'm bo no means an expert, given my experiences analyzing my own photos, I tend to agree with this. The image available for download is a 1,024x1,024 pixel image at a resolution of 72ppi. When you trim the selection around the individual pixels encompassing this anomoly, you are left with only a 7x6 pixel block.

Enlarging this image to this degree, while providing greater image depth and resolution, is nonetheless constrained by the original image data displayed as the composition of individual pixels.

However, it seems very apparent that the object is in fact top-lit and shaded underneath, which IMHO is indicative of it's actual presence, i.e., there is in fact something there, not a "video artifact," but rather an actual object, lit by ambient lighting conditions and lcoated at some distance from the camera.

Now, assuming the object is in fact there (I believe this to be a safe assumption), and taking into account the explanation for the appearance of the object when enlarged to this degree, I revert to my humble opinion that it appears (to me to be) cigar-shaped, traveling in a direction generally toward the camera... But please do not interpret this as any kind of definitive statement on my part, as in truth, I do not know.

This is just speculation, though speculation based on a thorough analysis of the available data, i.e., something beyond a "wild-a$$ guess."

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
How do you mean angled?

It could be a cigar shaped object but on the other hand in the blow up it appears to have 3 sections. This could be the pixels then again it might not. The image isn’t really clear enough to tell. It appears to be in the sky and even to an untrained eye, appears not to be something on the lens.

I do get a feeling of goading from this pic though, almost like [if it were a ufo] they’re teasing.

Fascinating. I book marked the blog on INSIGHT 199.236.10.110:8090... so i can watch its progress.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
That's a pretty awesome picture. And i find it also interesting that NASA would admit that a mystery something or "someone" cleans their Rover panels at night. isn't that odd?

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I think it is a speck of dust that was either on the lense for a period of time of was blowing in front of the camera at that moment.. I don't think anything concrete can be deuced from several pixels of information, saying you can tell 'it's metallic' or a 'saucer' from about 4 pixels of information is ridicolous, sorry...

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Look!! Theirs another anomaly here, maybe it's the 'shadow' (actually I spotted it when I first looked at the picture a couple of days ago) no-one seems to rave on about this... Same sort of thing but obviously a tiny little speck in front of the camera, move it above the horizon and we suddenly have saucers, cigars and the Lost City of Atlantis floating before our eyes!

[edit on 15-1-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

How do you mean angled?

It could be a cigar shaped object but on the other hand in the blow up it appears to have 3 sections. This could be the pixels then again it might not. The image isn’t really clear enough to tell. It appears to be in the sky and even to an untrained eye, appears not to be something on the lens.

Look Im really, really sorry - but if you have a picture and you know it's (for instance) 800x600 pixels - it's 800x600 pixels.
If you zoom into it so your looking at a 8x8 pixel square your looking at an image that is 8x8 pixels. Depending on the size and distance of the object, one pixel could be an eye, a face, a head, a building or a damn spaceship but you will never be able to tell no matter how much you 'zoom in' or 'enhance' it. You could have the worlds biggest supercomputer running $$$$$$$$$$'s worth of software with the worlds cleverest minds pondering the problem but the picture will still be 8x8 pixels and it will tell you jack!

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
Look!! Theirs another anomaly here (actually I spotted it when I first looked at the picture a couple of days ago) no-one seems to rave on about this... Same sort of thing but obviously a tiny little speck in front of the camera, move it above the horizon and we suddenly have saucers, cigars and the Lost City of Atlantis floating before our eyes!

Flying things usually takes precendence over what some people would call... a stone...

If its a piece of dust its very easy to check: The rover must have taken other pictures with that camera.

Sidenote: Whats the brighter stuff anyway?

[edit on 15-1-2005 by merka]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I think it is a speck of dust that was either on the lense for a period of time of was blowing in front of the camera at that moment.. I don't think anything concrete can be deuced from several pixels of information, saying you can tell 'it's metallic' or a 'saucer' from about 4 pixels of information is ridicolous, sorry...

it really does look like dust. i thought there was dust on my computer screen at first.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   

How do you mean angled?

Look Im really, really sorry - but if you have a picture and you know it's (for instance) 800x600 pixels - it's 800x600 pixels.
If you zoom into it so your looking at a 8x8 pixel square your looking at an image that is 8x8 pixels. Depending on the size and distance of the object, one pixel could be an eye, a face, a head, a building or a damn spaceship but you will never be able to tell no matter how much you 'zoom in' or 'enhance' it. You could have the worlds biggest supercomputer running $$$$$$$$$$'s worth of software with the worlds cleverest minds pondering the problem but the picture will still be 8x8 pixels and it will tell you jack!

Honestly i do understand that, that’s why i said the pic is to unclear to really tell and in my first post i did say "maybe" "possibly". The interesting thing about it is, that there is something up there in the Martian sky. But yes it "could" be a speck of dust. We will have to wait and see

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Honestly i do understand that, that’s why i said the pic is to unclear to really tell and in my first post i did say "maybe" "possibly". The interesting thing about it is, that there is something up there in the Martian sky. But yes it "could" be a speck of dust. We will have to wait and see

I'm sorry.. I get a little carried away and het up sometimes... I havn't even bothered to read the whole thread to be honest, it's just when I come in and look at a picture with a couple of funny pixels and I jump down the thread and people are mentioning UFOs and such it seems funny but almost annoying.!!

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I'm sorry.. I get a little carried away and het up sometimes... I havn't even bothered to read the whole thread to be honest, it's just when I come in and look at a picture with a couple of funny pixels and I jump down the thread and people are mentioning UFOs and such it seems funny but almost annoying.!!

That’s ok.

But if its not a speck of dust, a cigar shaped ufo or 3 flying saucers in formation and surely it couldn’t be a weather balloon, then my bets are on that NASA will never give any kind of explanation.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Your right, but to be honest NASA are (in theory) looking at the same picture we all are, in which case they will be clueless to!

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Your right, but to be honest NASA are (in theory) looking at the same picture we all are, in which case they will be clueless to!

And that comes back to that ol argument "does NASA already know"

[edit on 15-1-2005 by kode]

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I'm thinking DIRT..not a UFO..

The original PIC was from the Left eye of the Navcam.
The Right Eye of the cam takes pics at the same time.
Here is the Right eyed view.

navcam right

Both taken at 13:48:23 Mars local solar time.

There is a similar thing going on with the Spirit NavCam..Except the spec, is persisting on the Uppper Left portion of the Left eye of the NavCAm.
Check any of the current Navcam images, and compare the left to the right..
It's best, in the shots with a Horizon..There is a spec, sitting near the upper left edge, of the left Nav cam..

Space

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
spacedaubt i cannot get the pictures to come up. Can you post one of the pics from the spirit navcam so we can compare the specks?

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I'll try a direct link first

spirit pancam left sol 367
spirit pancam right sol 367

Those are recent..

If your link still does not work, I can sideload them into photobucket or something..

Let me know if you have trouble

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
sorry button confusion

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Cheers spacedoubt.

This is the speck of dust from Spirit navcam left, magnified the same as the other.

Spirit navcam left full image

I don’t know. The opportunity navcam speck looks like it has depth to it.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Any speck of dust on any camera creates larger distortion, and has edges. Therefore, this is not a speck of dust. Too clear on a high res pic. Could be either an UFO, or dust in the air. But not on the lens.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join