It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortion doctors would lose medical licenses under new Oklahoma bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Abortion doctors would lose medical licenses under new Oklahoma bill

Oklahoma is just a signature away from revoking the licenses of most doctors who perform abortions. Under a bill passed by the legislature this week, doctors who perform abortions — defined in the measure as “unprofessional conduct” — would be barred from obtaining or renewing their medical licenses. The bill, now on the governor’s desk, would not apply to abortions performed to save a mother’s life, although the bill lacks similar exceptions for abortions performed in cases of rape or incest. “This is our proper function, to protect life,” the bill’s sponsor, Sen. Nathan Dahm (R), said last month. The bill passed the Senate early last month and the House on Thursday. Both houses are controlled by the GOP, but a few Democrats in each chamber voted for the bill. Gov. Mary Fallin (R) has not yet said whether she will sign the bill, Reuters reports. “Oklahoma politicians have made it their mission year after year to restrict women’s access vital health care services, yet this total ban on abortion is a new low,” Amanda Allen, senior state legislative counsel at the Center for Reproductive Rights, which advocates for abortion rights, said in a statement. “The Center for Reproductive Rights is closely watching this bill and we strongly urge Governor Fallin to reject this cruel and unconstitutional ban,” she added.

Funny I thought under Roe v. Wade abortion was legal? What is wrong with these people? They say that getting rid of doctors will have no impact on the medical community. As usual the Republicans who keep crying keep the government out of our lives want to control women's bodies.

Here is another problem Oklahoma has.

“Do we make laws because they’re moral and right, or do we make them based on what an unelected judicial occupant might question or want to overturn? The last time I looked, that’s why I thought we had a separation of power,” he said.

Yes we have separation of power stupid and we also have something called a constitution maybe you should read it sometime.
edit on 9180000002930America/ChicagoSat, 23 Apr 2016 16:02:29 -05002010 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Link is broken, here is the one I went to.
www.reuters.com...

"If we take care of morality,” bill supporter David Brumbaugh, a Republican, said during deliberations, "God will take care of the economy."

How about you leave god out of your political decisions??
Scary that we have people thinking the more 'moral' we are that some divine being will then bless us with a better economy...
Sacrifice people's rights to appease your god...
edit on rdSat, 23 Apr 2016 15:52:32 -0500America/Chicago420163280 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The state gives medical licenses, the state can take them away.

I hope this sinks in for the gun control crowd.

But on the subject of abortion, even though I find it repulsive, you cannot legislate morality. More damned laws for the idiot politicians.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80
Fixed it thanks for the other link.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
There is a new movement to undermine federal law with silly things like this. It is kind of a dangerous one, because it even extends to legalizing discrimination in some states.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

God, this is ridiculous. What's next? Legislation against women who accidentally miscarry... Something that happens in up to 50% of unrecognized pregnancies, and 15-25% of recognized pregnancies.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
on related news, did you know that God will be paying for all the legal costs associated with taking these laws up to the supreme court to be shot down??

An Oklahoma lawmaker pushing a bill that would more-or-less ban abortion in the state dismissed concerns that the legislation would drag the cash-strapped state into a costly legal battle by suggesting God would take care of the state's financial issues.

"Everybody talks about this $1.3 billion deficit,” state Rep. David Brumbaugh (R) said during Thursday evening's deliberations of the bill, before invoking a saying he said a friend told him.

"If we take care of the morality, God will take care of the economy,” he said.
talkingpointsmemo.com...

sorry, but still waiting for God to pay his fair share for the costs of the crusades we were conned into taking part in!

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Ugh... I love the people I have met in Oklahoma... but we have some right royal Twaffles at the state capital.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Technically speaking a doctor is to 'do no harm'. Clearly abortion causes harm.

That being said, I don't think we need MORE laws. We have enough restrictions already. I think people on the Right need to defend the right to chose just like I think the Left should defend gun rights. When we are divided we all lose rights to the Federal Government and their agendas.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Abortions are always performed on behalf of the woman, to protect her from the harm of an unwanted or otherwise life threatening pregnancy. Technically speaking, that is.

edit on 23-4-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

This is stupid. All anti-abortion methods are stupid. I don't understand why religious nutters try to impose these things. They need to read their own damn book that says Judge not lest ye be judged. —Matthew 7:1.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Metallicus

Abortions are always performed on behalf of the woman, to protect her from the harm of an unwanted or otherwise life threatening pregnancy. Technically speaking, that is.

Not every abortion is "medically necessary", thus the State can decide to revoke medical licenses based on medical necessity alone.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BIGPoJo

Not every abortion is "medically necessary", thus the State can decide to revoke medical licenses based on medical necessity alone.

I guess the cosmetic surgery camp will be folding their tents and moving on then.
edit on 4/23/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

The absolute incredible stupidity and reckless endaangerment to actual humans walking around in this is staggering. I would say I am speechless, but Republicans do this kind of thing DAILY. They think BY THE MINUTE what is the NEXT family values looking thing we can WRITE as a proposed law to get more votes? It is ABSOLUTELY sickening.

If this passes and when the death rate for 'back alley abortions' goes up in Oklahoma maybe they can ask forgiveness from whatever God they pray to.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I guess the cosmetic surgery camp will be folding their tents and moving on then.

Nope. Neither will the abortion clinics. The State can use the argument of medical necessity to ban certain procedures however.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

The State can use the argument of medical necessity to ban certain procedures however.

Whup. Goalpost is over there now.

Can you offer examples of other "elective" procedures which have been made illegal based on "moral" grounds?
edit on 4/23/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

The State can use the argument of medical necessity to ban certain procedures however.

Whup. Goalpost is over there now.

Can you offer examples of other "elective" procedures which have been made illegal based on "moral" grounds?

Here the Federal government tried to make the argument about medical neccessity.
www.prochoiceamerica.org...

In Minnesota there is a ban against sex reassignment surgery.
www.courthousenews.com...

Each state varies and makes their own laws, but you knew that already...

EDIT - I am not saying that the State should do anything, just saying that they can.
edit on 23-4-2016 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
more than likely, they are just trying to create more hot topic cases heading for the supreme court so they can use them to try to convince people how important that a republican gets in the white house and fills that empty seat.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Here the Federal government tried to make the argument about medical neccessity.
How did that work out?

False. In Minnesota, the state will not pay for reassignment surgery.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

How did that work out?

False. In Minnesota, the state will not pay for reassignment surgery.

Partial birth abortions are illegal now if I am not mistaken. It should be illegal. I mean if the kid is hanging out of your vagina, let him live.

Indeed, the State will not pay. It was an outright ban for most people because they could not afford it without insurance paying for it.

The State will continue to play games however, because it can.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join