It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The over medication of children and teenagers (my story)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

My sn is someone ironic. I don't believe I am dumb but I cannot stop other people in thinking that about me. For that I feel it is best to set the precedence that I am dumb because a) if i act dumb, that just means they will be okay with the fact that I chose this as my sn or b) I will surprise them. Either way I feel it is a win and no one is disappointed.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
What you've been through sounds awful. I'm so sorry you went through all of that!

But I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better these days.
You're so... lucky! Seriously. ily.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad

Not jst marijuana, I'll put it that way.... I kind of wish they would do more of that and less of the other stuff

What does "other" mean? Sorry to be so nosey, but I am trying to understand why your parents would feel so threatened to throw you under the bus so completely.

I've been around families that do horrible things to kids, so I am not doubting you. I'm just looking for perspective.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Child psychiatry is tricky business, and often the medications do more harm than good. Having worked in that field, it is often the parents and the teachers who demand that the children are forced to take meds, rather than try to find the root cause of the behavior. Some children do need meds, but often the cart is put before the horse.....throwing meds at the kids before determining whether the behavior is related to abuse, or wonky brain chemistry.

Many of the children put on SSRI's (Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors), or antidepressants, have a bad reaction to them the first month, and often become suicidal as a side effect. Then they get thrown back in the hospital for suicidal ideations.

Often getting at the root of the pain and confusion which causes the behavior, having somebody they can trust and talk to that listens, and lots of fresh air and outdoor activities in a wholesome environment does so much more than drugging them into oblivion so they are easier for adults to handle.

You are lucky you survived your ordeal. Know that it was not your fault, and you should be proud to be strong, resilient, and positive.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

'Know what dear? You are who you feel, think and know you are. Its all good. Its ok!
Best

MS

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Everything you wrote has the ring of truth about it. I worked in the mental health industry for a few years ,and found out that twenty years ago during a five minute interview the patients were prescribed anti psychotic meds, and they were still on them. Many institutions are looking for reasons to justify their own existence its a jungle out there.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

Thank you! ILY too!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity
And sometimes it isnt the fault of others, but rather the fault of over zealous solutions via medication

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Thank you! I try to be positive. Today is not such a good day but some are better than others.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

Thank you. I know how lucky i am.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Mostly cocain, some synthetic heroin, acid, loads of alcohol....

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
This sort of thing pisses me off. I was medicated as a child too. My parents took me to this psychiatrist when I was little because I was hyperactive. He put me on several different kinds of medications, and at one point even tried to convince my parents to let him send me to some sort of treatment facility... Just because I was a hyperactive child. I'm afraid to imagine what kind of place that could have been or what my life would have been like if my parents had listened to him.
One of the medications that this psychiatrist put me on caused me to have these horrible "hot flashes". A similar feeling persists to this day, somewhere around 20 years later. It feels like I'm being cooked alive from the inside out, and sometimes I start itching all over while it's happening. Sometimes all it takes is one tiny thing to annoy me in some way, like if I'm browsing the internet and the internet goes down, when *bam*. It can get so bad that I feel like my body will start shutting down if I don't immediately find a way to cool myself off. When I lived back home, I would actually become so overheated that I could go outside in the dead of winter in shorts and a tshirt and literally feel warm. I don't know why this is, but I strongly suspect that this doctor caused some kind of brain damage or something to me by using me as a medicinal guinea pig.
Anyone else by chance know what I'm talking about by these "hot flashes" where you get really hot from the inside out all the sudden and feel an overwhelming need to make yourself cold?

I'll be moving in about 2 years after I've obtained my degree, and I'm actually considering Alaska as one of my options just so I can be as far away from the heat as possible.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I too have hot flashes and I also have white flashes in the dark whe my eyes are closed that are supposedly caused by stress.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
There should be laws that punish doctors who overmedicate kids. I see this quite often. Kids on five or six pills that can't think at all. Their parents believing the doctors that put them on the pills.

some of the ones I know have kids that are real fussy, eating pizzas and highly prepared foods all the time, then sucking down meds to try to fix the problems. The problem is the kids are addicted to these foods.

You go the other way, mothers who push too much healthy foods on their kids and you see the kids taking meds too. They do not understand that plant defense chemicals can cause a lot of problems in people. Especially the cruciferous veggies and some stuff like celery, chicory, and foods the body does not recognize. Usually these kids get asthma symptoms.

Doctors should be like they were forty years ago, telling the parents not to feed the kids junk food when they saw symptoms and also telling people not to eat too many green veggies when they noticed symptoms..

The newly evolving western diet is just as bad as it was a couple years ago, they are starting to swing too far the other way.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I agree. I never had a good diet growing up either. My parents never cook or anything so a majority of the time we either had frozen meals, boxed meals or fast food. Luckily I have learned to cook for myself.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Youre absolutely correct.

The pharmaceutical industry sees children as an entirely new source of revenue.

70% of adults are on meds, time to medicate the kids.

Death bed confession: ADD/ADHD is a hoax.

Whats the term, a "chemical lobotomy"?

And the schools love it because its one less "bad" kid to have to "deal" with.

How did America survive before the mass drugging of our rowdy and somewhat obnoxious kids?

Psychiatry in general is a barbaric field of "medicine" which has used and uses torture as "treatment" utilizing electric shocks, insulin comas and metal spikes inserted into the brain or whats known as a lobotomy.

edit on 23-4-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

I say ADHD because the medication actually calms me vs amping me up

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad
a reply to: redhorse

I know it isn't uncommon but the 90s kids rarely speak out about it. I, for one, refuse to keep quiet. I have only been able to come to terms with it in the last few years but since then i make a point to seek out those who need a shoulder.

I can understand why people don't talk about it. You run a risk of being put right back into a facility. I had an aunt that I trusted. However she and I came into direct opposition as she was trying to take my sisters young daughter from her. I backed my sister, lawyered up, talked to the social workers and got the whole thing tossed. My aunt was angry and called me to tell me a thing or two. In the course of that conversation she brought up my time in the psych ward and I told her what had actually happened to me there. She said that I was a pathological liar, things like that don't happen and further, that I am very sick and need help, with an implication that she would be calling at least CPS about me as well. Nothing ever came of it but... It's scary. If someone has an agenda they will use it against you.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FissionSurplus
Child psychiatry is tricky business, and often the medications do more harm than good. Having worked in that field, it is often the parents and the teachers who demand that the children are forced to take meds, rather than try to find the root cause of the behavior. Some children do need meds, but often the cart is put before the horse.....throwing meds at the kids before determining whether the behavior is related to abuse, or wonky brain chemistry.

Many of the children put on SSRI's (Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors), or antidepressants, have a bad reaction to them the first month, and often become suicidal as a side effect. Then they get thrown back in the hospital for suicidal ideations.

Often getting at the root of the pain and confusion which causes the behavior, having somebody they can trust and talk to that listens, and lots of fresh air and outdoor activities in a wholesome environment does so much more than drugging them into oblivion so they are easier for adults to handle.

You are lucky you survived your ordeal. Know that it was not your fault, and you should be proud to be strong, resilient, and positive.

SSRI's are anti depressants. Your field is nothing. You are a danger to others if you have worked in that field, with your lack of knowledge and understanding.

^ This is the problem with the entire psychology profession. People with no real understanding handing out information like they are qualified doctors.

be proud to have survived? Till the next time, then throw them to the garbage bin, right?

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: RobDaSlob

He is actually pretty accurate. SSRIs are antidepressants but also help your body aboard the chemicals it creates as well, rather than flushing them out. I was put on Celexa In 2004 while in a testing phase. In 2010 a lawsuit was filed against the maker for mishandling their product labels. Fun fact, you aren't supposed to put children on Celexa. Minimum age is 24.... I was 14. There is some truth to what he was saying.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join