It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The over medication of children and teenagers (my story)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
We all know that mom that thinks her kid has a problem when the kid is, to the naked eye, just being a normal kid. That was my childhood. I went through a lot of abuse growing up, some physical, mostly mental and definitely medicinal at times. My mom was afraid I was going to become schizophrenic like her sister. My aunt had become a full fledge religious schizophrenic at the age of 14. Guess what age my mom started having her own meltdowns about my mental health? That’s right, one year prior to that age. I’ll spare you the details of those events leading up to my hospitalization and just give you the cliff notes. I had been physically abused and I was emotionally and mentally done. I needed to get out in a hurry so I scrawled a hasty note on a piece of lined paper and left it for my parents to find. I packed everything I could fit into a back pack and I ran away. 2 days later they found me and what happened next will solidify my opinions on the way we medicate children forever.

When I was found, I was brought to a psychiatrist. The man read over the note I left (which my mother had cleverly blotted out with permanent marker the part where I threatened to tell the police where they stashed all of their drugs if they tried to find me) and promptly declared that I must have bipolar type 2 disorder, despite me telling him that I was only angry because I was being told I was a worthless piece of trash on a daily basis and that I was being pummeled to the point I felt embarrassed to go to school lest someone see the bruises on my face. I had been through this roundabout for years with the school system calling me in and asking questions about my marks and then seemingly accepting whatever half-assed excuse my parents came up with for losing their cool. I had lost hope at this point and knew that no one was ever going to take my side. And thus, I was placed in outpatient therapy for anger management. Sigh.
One of the workers asked me why I was there and if I was afraid to go home. No # lady, of course I was scared. Anyone would be. The worker was the 1st one to take my claims seriously. She refused to put me in foster care and immediately lead me to another building, explaining that she wanted to protect me and that in order to get me in family custody, she couldn’t put me in foster care but would be securing me in an inpatient ward until CPS had done a thorough investigation. Sounded great! FINALLY some relief. No one had taken steps like this… not police, not family services, not even my own family had been willing to step in. What I thought was my relief quickly turned into the longest nightmare of my life.

5 minutes into my stay I had to meet another doctor. Apparently it was “required”. The doctor spoke very little English, only let me get about 5 sentences out before declaring me a severe depressive and potentially psychotic and demanded I be put on medication for the remainder of my stay. This could not be happening. I tried to reason with him, stating I just needed CPS to do their job with my family and I wouldn’t be staying long. That’s when I was threatened with “Either you take it willingly or by force… your call.” I began to cry but soon after the medication kicked in, I was an emotionless zombie so that part was okay, I guess. The place was filled with kids with problems, some real, some fabricated. You can always tell the legit ones from the ones just being there because they thought it was cool. I was groped by boys who were in there for sexual deviation, almost strangled by a guy who would never tell us what he actually said, but I could guess and I was attacked by a girl who was having to be constantly restrained due to her schizophrenia. Whatever. Nothing I hadn’t been dealing with for years, honestly. (That’s really dark, I apologize…but the truth is dark sometimes I guess.) When I finally got out, my home life had gotten exponentially worse. Now I was the pariah of my family and I was a devil child (as so lovingly put by my grandmother).

For years after, I struggled and was never taken off of medication. Ever see Good Will Hunting where he goes through a multitude of psychoanalyses and just starts having fun with it? That was me. The only problem is I was prescribed medications that were different about every other month. Let that sink in. Not only was I made to TAKE these meds but I also wasn’t given the proper time to adjust to these things. I attempted suicide 3 times (thank god I sucked at getting that done), I stayed in a total of 6 hospitals with 8 others as outpatient facilities. I can’t even tell you the number of therapists and programs I had been placed in. A list of my “diagnosis” includes, but is not limited to; Bi-polar, Bi-polar type 2, Depression, Anxiety, Schizophrenia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Sociopathy and so on. Different doctor, different diagnosis, every time.

This is real, folks. Medication abuse against children is very very real. And it can lead to a very messed up adolescence and even adult hood. I am not sure what kept me here. I am not sure what kept me alive all that time. All I can tell you is that not many make it out of my situation. Not many get to see the light at the other side. I was blessed with a fighter’s spirit and an incredible ability to bounce back from these situations. If you see someone over medicating their child, please speak up.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing your personal experiences with us. What a nightmare that must have been for you and so unfair! These days, it does seem as though many children are put on meds simply for being a normal kid and that is so wrong and can really screw a kid up. My heart goes out to you for the past you had to endure.

I'm glad that you are a fighter and saw your way through. It must have taken much strength and courage.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Very interesting, thanks for sharing your story.

How is your adult life going now and how long have you been off medication?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thank you. It makes me sick to see children in that situation. While in some hospitals I met real children with real problems.... a 5 year old who attempted suicide, a 7 year old anorexic, 12 year old child molester.... it was grueling. I have seen the scum of the earth and the victims of impurity and it breaks my heart that they were infected so young. This experience is the only thing sometimes that keeps me from becoming completely Nihilistic, as odd as that sounds. I prevailed so there must be some good in the world.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: charolais

I recently willingly put myself back on medication... not because I wanted to but because I knew I needed to. I fought for a very long time but the years of chemical abuse changed my brain chemistry and made it hard to function as an adult. For a while I was self medicating with alcohol and I have been fired from several jobs for my outbursts. I enjoy being a functional member of society and I do not blame the medication for it is an inanimate object. I blame the doctors and case workers that dismissed my claims and assumed to know what was best.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

Oh there is indeed some good in the world. You were just exposed to too much crap in your past. How are things now for you?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

They are on the up and up. I have a great job, my own place, a savings account, I have a wonderful support system, my parents have since apologized for their actions and taken blame for their contribution. Each year I become more positive and I look forward to having a long, happy life where i can sew some good in the world for others to reap.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad

This is real, folks. Medication abuse against children is very very real. And it can lead to a very messed up adolescence and even adult hood. I am not sure what kept me here. I am not sure what kept me alive all that time. All I can tell you is that not many make it out of my situation. Not many get to see the light at the other side. I was blessed with a fighter’s spirit and an incredible ability to bounce back from these situations. If you see someone over medicating their child, please speak up.

I'm just gonna say I was very, very, very lucky.

My fist daughter, way back in 1968, was diagnosed as ADD. I was a naive 22 year old.

Her doctor told me: "You are her mom. Be her mom. Know her. Don't let anyone else force you to do anything.

AND - - never, ever medicate her in her own home. I don't care in you have to turn your home into a padded cell so she can be safe. No Meds at Home. If she needs them for school, we'll discuss it.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I have seen this first hand.

A student who was trying to ask a complex math question and teachers who could not understand the question!

She was about to be booked into a psych ward when I intervened.

Teachers should understand they have no idea what ADD, ADHD and ODD are. They are not qualified to determine these things, but they love their guessing games.

It started with the Teachers, then the school's Social Worker got involved and it snow balled from there.

P

edit on 22/4/2016 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I am extremely grateful for you Doctor. I wish I could hug you both. I will say that I do have ADHD and I am struggling not to medicate myself with it as I cannot stand the zombie like state, however, you are wonderful! Keep being an awesome mom and always be a part of your kids mom!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I am very sorry that this happened to you. Unfortunately, I don't think that your experience is uncommon. I am curious when this occurred. I had a vaguely similar experience in the 90's when I was a teenager.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

That makes me sad. That only ensures that that kid will probably squander their brilliance because of people misunderstanding their cries. I hope good things happen for her and you.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

I know it isn't uncommon but the 90s kids rarely speak out about it. I, for one, refuse to keep quiet. I have only been able to come to terms with it in the last few years but since then i make a point to seek out those who need a shoulder.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I am extremely grateful for you Doctor. I wish I could hug you both. I will say that I do have ADHD and I am struggling not to medicate myself with it as I cannot stand the zombie like state, however, you are wonderful! Keep being an awesome mom and always be a part of your kids mom!!!!!!

Watch your diet.

I prefer a modified Atkins. No sugar, no alcohol, no preservatives, etc. Eat every 4 to 6 hours.

I'm just not giving up my coffee

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I am actually on atkins right now (well a modified version of it)

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I am actually on atkins right now (well a modified version of it)

Great!

I've found it works the best to keep the body chemistries regulated.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

For sure.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   

The man read over the note I left (which my mother had cleverly blotted out with permanent marker the part where I threatened to tell the police where they stashed all of their drugs if they tried to find me) and promptly declared that I must have bipolar type 2 disorder, despite me telling him that I was only angry because I was being told I was a worthless piece of trash on a daily basis and that I was being pummeled to the point I felt embarrassed to go to school lest someone see the bruises on my face.

What kind of drugs did your parents have stashed?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I can relate a bit to your story...thanks. You know...you cant change your screen ATS name once you pick it? I dont think you are "some dumb broad" at all.

You may think differently about referring to yourself as such in a year or 3 or 5 from now here!!!

Nice thread...

MS

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Not jst marijuana, I'll put it that way.... I kind of wish they would do more of that and less of the other stuff

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join