It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your 140 IQ Is NOT Impressive

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Power_Semi
I could only assume that MENSA had made a mistake in estimating Einstein at 140 - he must have been 180 at least - so I took the test also, although I took the sat and moderated professional test, whereas Adrian the idiot had taken the "at home, cheat as much as you want test".

I know, you're merely jesting. Of course you are.

But there are readers here that might get the wrong idea. So, for these:

• Mensa does not recognise the results of "at home, cheat as much as you want" tests. Yes, you can do a pre-test at home, but it is fairly useless to try to cheat - the only thing that will happen is that if your test is evaluated and if you are found to possibly qualify - which happens a lot - you are invited to come over to their test center and do the formal PAYED FOR test. To qualify for Mensa you need to have passed one or more of the recognised tests and end up in the 98th or better percentile. Oh, and BTW: they don't provide you any number when you do the pre-test, they merely make you come to the test center (unless you made a very bad pre-test, one hopes (but is not sure off)).

• Einstein's intelligence was never measured (in as far as we know, at least). So, your guess is as good as mine. It is known he was not a particularly bright kid, even had problems learning to speak properly. Perhaps he even was a particularly gifted "idiot savant" - comparable to Mozart: very good at one thing, but merely average or worse in others. I don't know, I haven't met the man. And also, what's the use of knowing it, it does not change this man's importance, methinks.

• And, again: a score of 168 on some test does not mean anything - I've driven 168 km/h and that does not make me more intelligent. The number only bears meaning in the context of the test(s) you did.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

The number only bears meaning in the context of the test(s) you did.

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

Alot of people think Einstein plagiarized Henri Poincare's theory of relativity.

www.cracked.com...
edit on 25-4-2016 by SpecialSauce because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I tested an IQ of 130 during my early teens. Right now, im much older so It is probably much higher. But it is really nothing to brag about. Like someone else said, it just a measure of solving puzzles. I can be stupid when it comes to certain things, and previously I had a bout of depression which I think affected my memory a little. Right now, i've been doing so memory training and it definitely helps improve my brain till its above average in memory retention now. But there are guys that really have very good brains like I have a friend who can know like what he was roughly doing on a certain date years ago, while I sometimes struggle to remember recent events.

Usually those who brag I have an IQ of 140 or something isn't really the smart ones. Most of the smart ones would just lie low rather then show off. Like how an expert in martial arts would think it is unnecessarily to flaunt that he can fight because he knows of his own power.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: SudoNim

Nothing I said about IQ & IQ Tests was an opinion.

NO ONE WORKING IN THE FIELD OF PSYCHOLOGY/NEUROSCIENCE BELIEVES THAT INTELLIGENT IS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE MEASURED OBJECTIVELY

So that is a fact is it? You can speak for every single person working in the field of psychology or neuroscience?

Or was that your opinion, dressed up in its Sunday bests and passed off as a fact.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Show me just one published source where someone in the field of Psychology and or Neuroscience proclaims Intelligence Quotient to be something inherently objective.

It's a simple request.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

I know

and I just don't get it at all

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Show me just one published source where someone in the field of Psychology and or Neuroscience proclaims Intelligence Quotient to be something inherently objective.

It's a simple request.

No, I wasn't making any claims without substance, you were.
Since you've already posted that you know for a fact that none of them do, I assume you already have the proof.

If not you should retract that statement and edit it to reflect that it was just your opinion.

"Every Neuroscientist in the world believes that rabbits are actually reading our minds while we sleep and will slowly take over the world. Fact. If you don't believe me show me one article written by a neuroscientist that refute this claim."

See how foolish your argument is? Simple.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I've already given proof, and I do know it to be fact. Go back a page or two and see for yourself.

The reason I can say that with such confidence is because the definition of intelligence quotient carry's with it the word subjective. It's what every institution teaches.

If you think I'm wrong then prove me wrong. I've already cited a source for you. Open your eyes, pseudonym.

posted on Apr, 26 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Well 140 IQ actually pretty smart not supergenius. Most people only hsve an IQ of 90 which is slightly above retarded. Yeah.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

I've already given proof, and I do know it to be fact. Go back a page or two and see for yourself.

The reason I can say that with such confidence is because the definition of intelligence quotient carry's with it the word subjective. It's what every institution teaches.

If you think I'm wrong then prove me wrong. I've already cited a source for you. Open your eyes, pseudonym.

Ah, ignoring the request for proof. A clear sign that you've lost. The "fact" that you still argue that its a fact means I have little time for you, you need to learn the difference between fact and opinion before returning to this discussion.

You claim to know the beliefs of thousands of professionals you've never met, interacted with or even know about. Ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasyeti
Well 140 IQ actually pretty smart not supergenius. Most people only hsve an IQ of 90 which is slightly above retarded. Yeah.

The average IQ is - 100. By definition. Well, for a given test, that is: you can score 120 on one test and 100 at the next, so the IQ "100" itself is meaningless. You'd need to know the test, gender and age of the person tested (though most tests compensate for age and gender). Because the population constantly changes and hence the average IQ may change, that average needs to be re-adjusted every now and then, and for mosts tests this is done. So, say you had an IQ of 100 roughly 20 years ago it may well be that if they recalculated your test results now you now suddenly have an IQ of 110.

But in most test 140 is actually quite good, actually, 140 boils down to something like 1 in 10.000 (WAIS III test).

And - again, within the context of a given test - 90 is not "slightly above retarded". It's slightly below average. In general, anything between 95 and 105 is seen as "average".

Being able to learn is just one thing. Creativity, imagination, stamina and adequate intelligence make you a genius.

posted on Apr, 27 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Can you read? I already gave you proof.

It's not an opinion when it's universally taught in universities and institutions all over the world.

How many times do I have to tell you? Are you asking me to get written statements from everyone in the world that works in Psychology?

Because you could just go back two or three pages in this thread and see where I've already demonstrated that IQ is inherently subjective.

I'll give you credit for pointing out the pretension and the choice on my part to type in all caps. It's not attractive, you're right.

But you're not contributing anything to this thread by attacking me and so far YOU have yet to provide anything that contradicts my statement. All you have to go on is my choice to generalize the industry, which I've already told you is perfectly acceptable because IQ being subjective is universally agreed upon.

The fact that I believe it's acceptable is my opinion, sure. But it still remains a fact that Intelligence Quotient is inherently subjective. Attacking my argument won't change that.

So one more time... Show me any published source where a scientist claims IQ is objective. Or do you not know the difference between subjective an objective?

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

So you don't know the difference between opinion and fact?

Find me a published source where a scientist claims IQ is NOT linked to laser optic beam vision, if you can't do so then you have to admit its a fact that IQ is linked to laser optic beam vision.

That / is how your logic works.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I wrote a lengthy reply to this and then tried to change wifi connection, and refreshed the page...lost everything!
My IQ is 120 ......Seem's Legit

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

originally posted by: Power_Semi
I could only assume that MENSA had made a mistake in estimating Einstein at 140 - he must have been 180 at least - so I took the test also, although I took the sat and moderated professional test, whereas Adrian the idiot had taken the "at home, cheat as much as you want test".

I know, you're merely jesting. Of course you are.

But there are readers here that might get the wrong idea. So, for these:

• Mensa does not recognise the results of "at home, cheat as much as you want" tests. Yes, you can do a pre-test at home, but it is fairly useless to try to cheat - the only thing that will happen is that if your test is evaluated and if you are found to possibly qualify - which happens a lot - you are invited to come over to their test center and do the formal PAYED FOR test. To qualify for Mensa you need to have passed one or more of the recognised tests and end up in the 98th or better percentile. Oh, and BTW: they don't provide you any number when you do the pre-test, they merely make you come to the test center (unless you made a very bad pre-test, one hopes (but is not sure off)).

• Einstein's intelligence was never measured (in as far as we know, at least). So, your guess is as good as mine. It is known he was not a particularly bright kid, even had problems learning to speak properly. Perhaps he even was a particularly gifted "idiot savant" - comparable to Mozart: very good at one thing, but merely average or worse in others. I don't know, I haven't met the man. And also, what's the use of knowing it, it does not change this man's importance, methinks.

• And, again: a score of 168 on some test does not mean anything - I've driven 168 km/h and that does not make me more intelligent. The number only bears meaning in the context of the test(s) you did.

Hi,
just to clarify - the person I mentioned (Adrian the Idiot) did the "at home, cheat if you want to" test but never did take the actual sat test - he wanted to "big himself up" with his "impressive" IQ score of 144 or whatever.

You simply applied, got the test to take at home, sent it off, and they would send you a score with an invitation to pay and take the proper test, which if you passed you could be a member of MENSA.

It was clearly an attempt by Mensa to get people to take the "at home" test, then go and sit the real test (payed for test) so they could become members.

As part of that advertising program they did indeed state that Einsteins IQ was estimated at around 140 - which I presume was to stroke the ego's of the people taking the tests, so they could go around boasting about being smarter than AE, and if they took the sat test they'd have the certificate to prove it - well, not a certificate, but the paperwork to "prove" it.

I took the sat paid for and supervised / moderated exam, and did indeed score what I scored.

I joined and found it to be a club full of self important bores who wanted to bang on about how clever they were.

They did have 1 interesting aspect which was that you could join "special interest" groups, I joined the UFO special interest group, and it was run (it produced a kind of newsletter) by a paranoid maniac and his acolytes who made the most astonishing and ludicrous claims, including the usual "we're special, aliens come and talk to us", through to some totally mad claims about the kids from the UK who were found dead from self inflicted gunshot wounds near area 51, but there must have been a conspiracy "because one of them was carrying a cheque made out (by one of the others) for a million dollars - where did they get a million dollars from??!!!???!!!" etc.

When I pointed out that any fool can write a cheque for a million dollars - it doesn't mean anything, it certainly doesn't mean you have a million dollars, and pointed out a few other bits of his "evidence" that were simply not right, he responded by attacking me for "attcking and criticising his "good work" and I must be some kind of government agent who had been planted there to "discredit" him".

His mad ramblings would have had the nutters here at ATS blushing, and needless to say I rapidly cancelled my membership, never to return.

I prefer to argue with the mentalists here instead, it's easier and doesn't cost anything either.
edit on -05:0020164America/ChicagoThu, 28 Apr 2016 13:25:41 -0500_thAmerica/Chicago0425 by Power_Semi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Anyone touting their IQ is clearly stupid.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: largo

My lady friend took an IQ test in English and scored 169.

While that does not appear stratospheric, her native languages are Russian/Ukrainian/Polish/Estonian. She listens to and reads English but most of the time she does running translations in and out when she deals with English.

She is smart enough to kill you in a dozen different ways without ever getting caught...run....run now.

posted on May, 3 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

A high IQ does not mean one is gifted. Gifted people don't care about their IQ.

From www.evawaseerst.be...

Highly gifted and sensitive people have higher IQ, have more empathy, a strong urge for justice, greater perseverance, they are more spiritual, don’t prefer personal power nor material things etc. Now you don’t see them at the top because they turn their backs to hypocrisy and intrigue, the two most effective weapons that life on earth uses.

posted on May, 10 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Adding a little humor to the rant..... Enjoy!!

World's Smartest Woman

An airplane was about to crash, and there were 5 passengers left, but only 4 parachutes. The first passenger, Bill Clinton said, "I am president of the United States, and I have a great responsibility, being the leader of nearly 300 million people, and a superpower, etc., " so he takes the first parachute, and jumps out of the plane.

The second passenger said, "I'm Antoine Walker, one of the best NBA Basketball players, and the Boston Celtics need me, so I can't afford to die," so he takes the second parachute, and leaves the plane.

The third passenger, Hillary Clinton, said, "I am the wife of the President of the United States, a soon to be New York Senator, and I am the smartest woman in the world," so she takes the third parachute and exits the plane.

The fourth passenger, Pope John Paul the second, says to the fifth passenger, a 10 year old boy scout, "I am old and frail and I don't have many years left, so as a Christian gesture and good deed, I will sacrifice my life and let you take the last parachute." The boy scout said, "It's Ok, there's a parachute left for you. The world's smartest woman took my backpack."

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join