It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your 140 IQ Is NOT Impressive

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Mine's a buck 48 and I'm not trying to impress you with it.
I was booted from ninth grade and drive truck for a living.
Most of my coworkers think of me as the guy who can't
remember anything...directions, addresses, etc.

My wife says I'm the smartest dumbass she knows.

The ability to solve puzzles does not equate to
financial success in life. It takes ambition, drive
and hard work...the ability to solve a cube
doesn't help much...it won't even get you laid.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whatsthisthen
a reply to: Metallicus

It is said we use only 10% of our brain,
If the average IQ is 100,
10 x 100 = 1,000,
Apply rounding to a 140 IQ,
140 = Zero

Equality is a wonderful thing.

Now that depends. What if you're using the top ten percent of your brain? Then using the other 90 "dumb" per cent of your brain might drag your overall 'smartness' down? The way I see it there are two ways of looking at it -

overall smartass
edit on 24-4-2016 by GrandCourtJester because: added link

edit on 24-4-2016 by GrandCourtJester because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

Excuse me? What's that you thought now?

You can start with the book I mentioned by George S Kelly in my post. If you even read my entire post. Wikipedia Alfred Binet if you want to know more about the first IQ test ever designed. And when I get back from the beach and I'm not typing this on my phone I'll litter this thread with so many references that the EPA will probably have to fine me X amount of $ just to make it legal.

Notice I never claimed my IQ was X. I never said I was smarter than anybody. And I never assumed someone didn't have the data to back up their claims without asking and or checking to see for myself.

The nerve of some people.

edit: Is your avatar supposed to be Indrid Cold?

edit again:

Just for starters, CLICK THIS LINK. Here I'll summarize it for you lovebeck:

An IQ test is a psychological measure of a person’s “intelligence quotient” (IQ).

Intelligence Quotient, or IQ, is a theoretical construct used by psychologists within standardized tests as a means of describing one’s intelligence level. In the most commonly-administered IQ test — the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) — an average score is 100; about 95% of IQ scores fall between 70 and 130. It is important to note that IQ is not real — is simply a philosophical construct psychologists have created to describe a subset of human functioning they believe to be subjectively important in modern society. (Because of this, unless an IQ test has been specifically adopted for a different culture or country — and the most popular one has — IQ tests are very culturally specific and may be invalid when used in other cultures.)

You should be aware from my previous posts in the Aliens/UFO forum that I am known for scanning in pages of textbooks and uploading them here as references.

Do I really need to continue? Don't be such a tool dude.
edit on 4/24/2016 by ColdWisdom because: for the tools

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
A most intelligent thread, this

I agree that the number in itself doesn't mean squat, all i had to do at school to get good grades was to have a good memory. Anyone who can remember stuff will do well in life.
Higher education means having to solve problems, think hypothetically, that's when the real learning starts.
But IQ may also be better expressed as ones ability to adapt to ever changing situations.
Hence the dumb-ass tricks they hold at big company interviews when they suddenly hand you a rubber chicken or ask you how would you put a giraffe in a fridge.*They just want to see how you react to a new situation, that's all.

Psychiatry was developed as a tool for controlling peeps, remember that.

I found MENSA to be quite an arrogant bunch, reminded me of Bill Gate's Eugenics & those Transhumanist nutters, what worries me is the number of young (and dare i say it, smart?) peeps getting sucked into it.

The 11+ test i took was timed with a stopwatch, i played along with their game, and it got me into a good school with very good teachers, and i had planned to go further than A-levels, get a degree & work at Harwell. Fate decided it had other plans, & my life went through many phases, wild adventures, and i'm still not done, LOL

The internet is the one thing that has become a game changer for us ordinary peeps, it enables us to get together mind-to-mind and to be able to thrash out problems collectively. And despite the personal arguments, trolling, "'isms" (a word i use to describe racism, fascism, communism etc) we are managing albeit slowly, to raise the group conciousness.
In other words it seems we are all getting 'smarter' through our interaction, and that's good. Those that would say that the idea of a 'hive-mind' a la Borg mass mentality would be very bad for us, argue that we would lose our identity, heck that seems to be the number 1 problem with teenagers on the social media right now,but i don't see that here. What i see here is an amazingly varied group of people who can still manage to communicate & agree that certain things are right or wrong, much to the horror of their governments.
Now that is smart!
Of course you can learn a whole lot from the net, but you need a very good BS filter, i use Antisoma, it's free!
edit on 24-4-2016 by
*Tip: ask them if they want the chicken fried or grilled, and of course to put the giraffe in the fridge you have to remove the shelves first.

playswithmachines because: Typo's

edit on 24-4-2016 by playswithmachines because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Someone with an IQ of 140 is a veritable dummy, it is not impressive at all.

I had my IQ tested professionally by MENSA and it was 168.

I only went and had it tested because MENSA had done some advertisement in a national newspaper and one of my colleagues, an obnoxious little twerp called Adrian had had his done.

He scored 145 or something but was going around bragging that "MENSA estimated that Einstein only had an IQ of 140 - so I'm smarter than Einstein".

First he was a complete moron and annoyed the hell out of everyone at work, and secondly I could only assume that MENSA had made a mistake in estimating Einstein at 140 - he must have been 180 at least - so I took the test also, although I took the sat and moderated professional test, whereas Adrian the idiot had taken the "at home, cheat as much as you want test".

Adrian didn't like it when I showed him my test results, he claimed I must have cheated.

What a 140-dummy.
edit on -05:0020160America/ChicagoSun, 24 Apr 2016 12:17:07 -0500_thAmerica/Chicago0417 by Power_Semi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The older you get the more you realize your IQ wasn't as high as you thought it was.
At my age I'm somewhere between a turnip and a catfish.

The smartest thing a man can do is get a smarter woman to fall in love with him.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus is the posters iq uk equivalent or u.s equivalent? This is relevant!

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
What I want to know is, why does a topic like this get so many flags when something vital gets only a few. That is funny.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackProject
What I want to know is, why does a topic like this get so many flags when something vital gets only a few. That is funny.

Yeah, true. Must be the social aspect's outrage of it. Plus considering that I thought it was the norm that everyone on the internet has an IQ of 140. (Of course, they don't, but would like to think that.)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I don't find trilingual people, doctors, lawyers, people in mensa or actors smart. People like that are savants. Being able to solve Word jumbles and anagrams doesn't help you in real life. Being able to solve puzzles does. But we pay them alot of money for their savant memorization skills. Yeah, the guy treating your cancer is probably a more mature version of the guy who moves to Hollywood to become a star (not very bright). With transcranial magnetic stimulation they can turn off the frontal left cortex temporarily making someone a savant temporarily. Brain damage causes savantism.
edit on 25-4-2016 by SpecialSauce because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2016 by SpecialSauce because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: SlapMonkey

No but because I've exceeded the 4 hour limit to go back and edit my post I'll give you a star instead. Fair?

Ha...sure, but I can't eat a star. Well, I guess that's not true--yellow stars can be magically delicious in fake marshmallow form.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Your post etiquette makes you come off as extremely pretentious.

Especially since your original post was full of caps-lock shouting, opinions construed as facts and "hidden secrets" that you found on Wikipedia.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: SudoNim

Your post etiquette makes you come off as extremely pretentious.

That's a very astute observation. Except for the part about Wikipedia.

Especially since your original post was full of caps-lock shouting, opinions construed as facts and "hidden secrets" that you found on Wikipedia.

Nothing I said about IQ & IQ Tests was an opinion.

Contrary to what you may believe, the sum of my post was not "hidden secrets" that I found on Wikipedia. My choice to refer to the info I provided as "hidden" was to highlight my point that these are facts that are almost entirely ignored in academia by the people who administer IQ Tests.

The subject of Intelligence Quotient and the role IQ tests play in the education industry is something that I've been interested in since I was very young.

If your intention was to infer that I just regurgitated some notes that I read on Wikipedia you are incorrect. And everything I said about IQ being subjective and or culturally relative is indeed fact... But I appreciate your sentiment.

Welcome to ATS.
edit on 4/25/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I have noticed from time to time that people on ATS like to share their IQ with us as if we are going to be impressed. There are some that even have it in their signature line. I realize this isn't always shared for vanities sake, however, a 140 IQ is really NOT impressive.

I have an IQ in the mid-140s and I have encountered 100s of people smarter than me during my lifetime. In fact a 140 IQ isn't at all rare because approximately 1 in 260 people in the world have an IQ of 140 or better. That means there are literally MILLIONS of people with 140+ IQs.

Look, a 140 IQ is fine, but seriously, I consider it just enough to cause arrogance and be smart enough to be dangerous. It isn't that special without all of the things that go with it like a good memory, good study habits and the self-discipline to learn.

Anyway, IQs are also a terrible measure of success and common sense.

Okay, I just had to rant because it drives me nuts that people think a 140 IQ is all that great or rare.

As always, thank you for your time ATS.

This is pretty absurd logic. if a 140 IQ is 1 in 260 (I'm pretty sure it's more common than that) that makes these people more intelligent than 99.6% of people. If we were talking incomes, these 140 IQers would be making over $600k year. Yeah they're still only 1 in 260, but that's pretty impressive imo.

Now that doesn't make what they say any more true than what anyone else says. But your premise that these people aren't elite is patently false.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I would kill to see a thread like this. Like if we could somehow verify the actual score without actually dropping real names. I know it's not possible but if there was some magic way to do this, I bet you threads like these would disappear or be exceptionally short.

It goes right back to what I posted (which is not original...many people have posted this before I have)
Every time a humblebrag thread regarding IQ is started, the most fascinating statistical anomaly occurs and the curve looks radically different. Th new average changes from 100 to 150. It's bloody incredible isn't it?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Power_Semi

IQ tests are designed so you can't cheat.
Mostly questions like what comes next. How can you cheat? Well other than ask someone else I guess.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Only someone not anywhere near wood think 140 is unimpressive.
My youngest was graded about 140. My other two were 125 a d 120. Both of those in the superior range.
There's a difference from their first breath. Intelligent infants engage in more Intense eye contact, they observe their environment more intently.
When my youngest was about three my cousin moved about 30 miles away from me. Highway and then back roads with a lot of turns but I had her instructions so we got there fine.The next time we went to visit we didn't take the instructions because well a man was driving and he didn't need directions LOL.
So everything is good on the highway portion but when we get to the back road part he gets lost.
The little guy in the car seat in the back who is three and who has only been to this place once before says turn here daddy. He points because at that age we had not started teaching left and right. So I said go left Keith just to amuse the kid. We do then we're back to a familiar point The kid points to the right ...here daddy. . He got us to her house.
After that we kept noticing his keen attention.
I started teaching him and when he started kindergarten he was doing simple math, geometry, and reading.
Later when he was tested at 140 we knew we'd been witnessing it since he was an infant.

He's also really nice and has nice if weird friends.

Just an fyi the wood in the first sentence was an auto correct. Should have been would of course. Lol.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

people have gotten a hold of the tests prior to use in order to study and prepare for it in order to inflate their scores

I can't fathom why people lie about/inflate their scores. What is really gained by it?

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

I can't fathom why people lie about/inflate their scores. What is really gained by it?

Absolutely nothing. Bragging rights.

posted on Apr, 25 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I have never had an IQ test, and I don't want to. I don't know if I am more afraid it will be terribly low, or if it might be slightly high.... in anycase, I don't think it matters much. But I do think it can be an irresistable distraction.

I've met so many with very high IQ's that seem to have let themselves go because they thought a high IQ will just carry you through life without effort. I've observed that just isn't true.

If I found out my IQ is especially low, than I might not try anymore... I might give up easier when learning things, telling myself it is impossible for me, because of my low IQ...

It's a trap, the whole IQ thing. Screw that.

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join