It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy in good condition after octopus was found lodged in throat.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

WICHITA, Kansas – Wichita police say a 2-year-old boy is now in good condition after an octopus was found lodged in his throat.The incident happened around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday in the 4900 block of East Waterman. Police say a 21-year-old mother returned home from work and found her 36-year-old boyfriend trying to do CPR on the 2-year-old boy. The boy wasn’t breathing. EMS responded and transferred the boy in critical condition.

At the hospital, doctors found a small octopus has been lodged in the boy’s throat.

The article goes on to state:

The octopus appeared to be for sushi according to police. The boy also had facial injuries. The Wichita Police Department’s Exploited and Missing Child Unit interviewed the mother’s boyfriend. He was identified by police arrest records as Matthew Gallagher. Police say he was not able to explain why the boy had ended up that way. He is facing child abuse charges.

If this isn't the most absurd child abuse case I've ever read about personally...I don't know how I would forget it.

What is wrong with this man! What was his train of thought? That he could say the boy swallowed the octopus himself? Absolutely insane.
edit on 7-4-2016 by Atsbhct because: Me no English good.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Must we always be so concerned about the child?

What sort of state is the octopus in?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Wichita...
Weird as Florida but so far inland.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

I'm so sorry to tell you this, but the octopus didn't make it.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
There isn't a lot of information there.

Why couldn't the boy have swallowed it himself? Two year old's put EVERYTHING in their mouths.

Unfortunately, our hospital uses my sons X-ray for school tours. You can read the quarter perfectly! (it was stuck in his throat.)

If the boy saw him eating it, he could have grabbed some.
I really hope this isn't a case of child abuse. But more info is definitely needed.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Poor boy, after watching 'Alien' thought the Octopus was a facehugger...

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

WICHITA, Kansas – Wichita police say a 2-year-old boy is now in good condition after an octopus was found lodged in his throat.The incident happened around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday in the 4900 block of East Waterman. Police say a 21-year-old mother returned home from work and found her 36-year-old boyfriend trying to do CPR on the 2-year-old boy. The boy wasn’t breathing. EMS responded and transferred the boy in critical condition.

At the hospital, doctors found a small octopus has been lodged in the boy’s throat.

The article goes on to state:

The octopus appeared to be for sushi according to police. The boy also had facial injuries. The Wichita Police Department’s Exploited and Missing Child Unit interviewed the mother’s boyfriend. He was identified by police arrest records as Matthew Gallagher. Police say he was not able to explain why the boy had ended up that way. He is facing child abuse charges.

If this isn't the most absurd child abuse case I've ever read about personally...I don't know how I would forget it.

What is wrong with this man! What was his train of thought? That he could say the boy swallowed the octopus himself? Absolutely insane.

That kid will never eat sushi again. Or just stick to the spicy tuna roll.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Definitely more information is always better.

One thing I find weird is...who performs CPR on a 2 year old who is choking? I know not everyone is trained in first aid...but it seems so backwards to me. And how did a 2 year old get an octopus to put in his mouth?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: chiefsmom

Definitely more information is always better.

One thing I find weird is...who performs CPR on a 2 year old who is choking? I know not everyone is trained in first aid...but it seems so backwards to me. And how did a 2 year old get an octopus to put in his mouth?

CPR? I recommend the Heineken Maneuver. Drink large amounts of beer until the obstruction is washed down.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Good questions.

I just thought, that "facial injuries" COULD be, the idiot squeezing too hard when holding the boys mouth to blow in.

If he was making his own sushi, the octopus may have been on the counter, where the child snagged it.

I really hope this is the case, but really glad the boy is going to be ok.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

That's actually what one is supposed to do if you are unable to see the object and clear it and the person has stopped breathing..
If the person stops breathing, you should do rescue breathing and if the chest does not rise then CPR compressions would be in order because the airway is likely completely blocked..
The compressions may help to dislodge the item from the airway.
It is important to keep that oxygenated blood circulating to the major organs.

It is odd to me, from the article, that it is being called 'abuse' and not 'neglect' for failure to supervise properly?
Perhaps it is considered the same thing?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I think it's the same thing. Kids choke on things all the time, so there must be something that leads to suspicion of abuse.

When I look at the mans picture I can't help but think...something isn't right, but obviously I'm biased by having read the news report so that means nothing.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
(insert wholly uninformed statement of outrage at the semianonymous person listed as the "father")

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Yep! Important news!

Well, of it, I say better than the other way around for boy and octopus.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Disgusting keep live intelligent creatures to eat sometimes alive often raw, if we did this to a human what would be thought of us.

That's proportionally bigger than the brains of most of the largest dinosaurs. Another measure of intelligence: you can count neurons. The common octopus has about 130 million of them in its brain. A human has 100 billion.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
Disgusting keep live intelligent creatures to eat sometimes alive often raw, if we did this to a human what would be thought of us.

That's proportionally bigger than the brains of most of the largest dinosaurs. Another measure of intelligence: you can count neurons. The common octopus has about 130 million of them in its brain. A human has 100 billion.

what? eat humans?

did you really just ask that?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Omg some of you. I saw literal thousands of live crawfish being conveyed onto a table underneath a seafood joint yesterday. Afterwards? I went upstairs and ate me some damn crawfish.

Oh, the horror!

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Why is this even on ATS??

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

It is likely that the abuse angle comes in owing to the facial injuries which have yet to be explained, as opposed to the presence of an octopus in the lads airway.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBandit795

Because it's weird news. You're a moderator, remove it if you want to.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join