It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Tihange nuclear power plant in Belgium has been evacuated

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
twitter.com...

Just come from this twitter account, not sure if linked or if it has been proved.

Will post updates

EDIT: Link from Reuters

Doel, made up of four reactors, and Tihange, with three are closed and all vehicles coming and going are subject to checks. "Employees who are not needed to run the two power plants are now leaving the sites," Politico EU reports, adding that "military arrived at the Tihange plant on Friday."

False alarm, was just preventative measures taken
edit on 22/3/2016 by conz1992 because: Clearing up

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Energy utility Electrabel is evacuating Belgium's two nuclear power plants in the wake of Tuesday's terrorist attacks in Brussels.

Doel, made up of four reactors, and Tihange, with three are closed and all vehicles coming and going are subject to checks. "Employees who are not needed to run the two power plants are now leaving the sites," Politico EU reports, adding that "military arrived at the Tihange plant on Friday."

"Surveillance is stepped up with added security measures at nuclear plants," the Belga says. "Vehicles are being checked with police and army on site."

As AFP reminds us, "in February, investigators probing the Paris attacks found video footage of a senior Belgian nuclear official at the property of a key suspect."

Source

Looks preventative to me. I find it odd that the military arrived at the plant on Friday. Did they receive intel of an attack?

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: conz1992

That doesn't make any sense. They can't evacuate a plant in operation, someone has to SCRAM it and stay with it till cold shutdown. That takes time.

And if theres a problem there, the last thing they do is drop everything and leave.

Edit
portion redacted) I see from poster above that the plants were already shutdown and evacuated (except for operating personnel) before this most current attack.
edit on 22-3-2016 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I don't think its bogus. Lots of outlets reporting this now. And its not only Tihange.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It does seem a bit weird, you'd think they would have done it or it would have been announced sooner. I did think a whole power plant can't be evacuated just like that...

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seek_Truth
a reply to: intrptr

I don't think its bogus. Lots of outlets reporting this now. And its not only Tihange.

Yah, I changed that sorry for jumping the gun…

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Have not been able to determine if this just extra caution or linked to an actual threat.

This is an older article (by a couple of hours), but I did find the part about the video footage a little frightening.

"In February, investigators probing the Paris attacks found video footage of a senior Belgian nuclear official at the property of a key suspect."

Belgium Beefs Up Security at Nuclear Plants
edit on 22-3-2016 by Slave2theTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
The report says, "Employees who are not needed to run the two power plants are now leaving the sites."

Reading is power!

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

That doesn't make any sense. They can't evacuate a plant in operation, someone has to SCRAM it and stay with it till cold shutdown. That takes time.

And if theres a problem there, the last thing they do is drop everything and leave.

Edit
portion redacted) I see from poster above that the plants were already shutdown and evacuated (except for operating personnel) before this most current attack.
The quote above you says they're only evacuating nonessential personnel.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Nothing on Reuters World News for the US as of 30 seconds ago.

Overblow story it would seem, about a more or less lockdown over possible outside attacks.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Reading is power!

You're right.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I posted a link to the Reuters website but it hasn't said anymore than they've evacuated. It does seem to be just a precautionary thing though

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

fifty bucks says it's a safety precaution because of the recent attacks.

hopefully nothing serious - we will have to wait to hear from officials

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Are they "evacuating" it or just running it on bare bones with no shift changes, personnel coming or going, until the security threat stabilizes? Because that would make complete sense and be very prudent.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: HoldMyBeer

Given that one of the articles states that the military arrived on Friday, and another article states that video footage of a Belgian nuclear official was found at one of the raids on terror suspects, I would guess they were already prepping for what was deemed to be a credible threat to their nuclear plants. Given the events this morning, it makes perfect sense to accelerate the measures.

This especially makes sense when you consider how these groups have been known to coordinate multiple attacks in short span of time.
edit on 22-3-2016 by Slave2theTruth because: Bad Grammar

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Slave2theTruth

Indeed, while the world is watching one stage they can go and attack another. Wouldn't put it past them, they've already showed they can pull off co-ordinated attacks

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Let's just hope there are not already operatives inside.
Or that it's not some sort of hack.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Twitter

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 22-3-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

It also crossed my mind that the first three explosions could have been planned to draw all of the first responders and security forces in one direction, while they try and carry out a bigger attack somewhere else. Its crazy because it sounds like a plotline from the show 24, but in today's world, it is far too believable for my liking.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Fr a little while (yet to be determined) they will shut everything down, until the bombs stop exploding.

The Pres already announced 1600 police and "gendarmes" to be stationed around the country. Ratchet up the police state. The intent behind such attacks on civilian targets is to instill fear on the part of the population and an over reaction of heavy handed police actions. After the fact, abusive maybe, and getting the people to hate their own government more than the terrorist threat in the long run.

<<   2  3 >>

join