It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Tihange nuclear power plant in Belgium has been evacuated

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I suspect you are right. I spent a short stretch in the 90's living and studying in Brussels. I loved that City.

The thought of this all playing out there saddens me deeply today.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Slave2theTruth

It's a good theory, the terrorist are narrow minded though, they want instant victims, they want to kill ordinary people to spread fear and become martyrs.

We haven't seen one single attack on infrastructure that could cause major damage ever...

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Just some info. Tihange plant is greatly outdated nuclear plant, which lacks things like filters in high pressure valves. Also, there has been many problems before, like last December the fire started in electricity supply system. In February 2015, it was spotted that there were thousands of cracks in the reactor. The plant is huge security risk.

I would panic if the terrorist got there. The plant is not much better than Chernobyl was. I don't think they could cause meltdown, but I guess it would be possible to let radioactive clouds out.
edit on 22-3-2016 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

I think you are right, but I also think the Belgian authorities are also right to heighten their security at such sites. They cannot afford to be wrong.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

That would be strange indeed..

But it surely makes this attack more dangerous as I expect that this news is not valid.

Whatever is going down at that powerplant It makes me nervous to hear about it , fingers crossed that it's just nothing but fear making news..

edit on 0b36America/ChicagoTue, 22 Mar 2016 09:09:36 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 22 Mar 2016 09:09:36 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

This is my gut feeling. Divide and conquer.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

Another great, but sad point. If indeed there was an incident occurring at a nuclear facility, I doubt that anything close to the truth would be included in any media coverage until long after it was over.

That said, this being a quick reaction to secure the site in the aftermath of the other attacks, still seems logical and plausible as well.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

What I've read within the Belgium media is that nuclear sites are running at low occupancy just to avoid any serious attack..

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

"Employees who are not needed to run the two power plants are now leaving the sites,"

They are not evacuating everyone.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Yea because if they destroy buildings they would make damage to rich folks. And they don't want that they love corporations and hate little working peasants.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

We haven't seen one single attack on infrastructure that could cause major damage ever…

Theres your sign…

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

fingers crossed that it's just nothing but fear making news..

As in "Breaking News" , but the military has been at the site since Friday…

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

It's what they did in Paris. Bomb at the stadium where government officials were ... then they attack the concert. Gave them time to carry out so much of the massacre.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

They expected something after the arrest of Abdeslam more as precaution. What I've heard is that the nuclear power plant had small cracks not sure but something like sabotage was named.

Also Russia seemed to have warned Belgium of three returning jihadists from Syria, but it's not a official statement.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Also Russia seemed to have warned Belgium of three returning jihadists from Syria, but it's not a official statement.

I caught that 'rumor' too, they seemed to have some advance warning, maybe why they surrounded power assets like nuclear plants last friday.

But then, when you let a rabid dog off the leash, you don't really know who they going to bite.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Why not simply give these terrorists their fondest wish?
Make them all instant martyrs when caught.......?
Who needs gauntanamo type jails?
Give em what they want....

edit on 22-3-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

We haven't seen one single attack on infrastructure that could cause major damage ever…

Theres your sign…

I hope not, it's a completely different level of terrorism.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

They want to knock out the head of the response team before they create the need for a response. This is going to get complicated and expensive keeping the response team safe.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I thought the increased security was because they had caught Jihadi's scoping out the home of one of the Nuclear Plant bosses? So they think that indicates that a kidnap plot may be in the planning stages, in order to gain access to the plant.

The seemed unsure though if that was either to attack the plant itself or (more likely) to "liberate" some nuclear maerial to use in dirty bombs elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 22 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

The other way around

As AFP reminds us, "in February, investigators probing the Paris attacks found video footage of a senior Belgian nuclear official at the property of a key suspect." That footage was discovered “as part of seizures made following the Paris attacks”, Belgian prosecutors said last month, while declining to divulge the individual’s identity “for obvious security reasons”.

Source

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join