It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not build an inland sea?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Dig a canal system to tie into the dry river beds and have the ocean end of the canal ....just above sea level. Now just wait for the inevitable rise of the oceans ( due to melting ice caps )and you have simultaneously saved the planet and created your inland sea. I am just joking though...I dont think it could put a dent in the level of the worlds oceans.
edit on 28-2-2016 by HarryJoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy
I dont think it could put a dent in the level of the worlds oceans.

I don't know man.. Australia is a fairly large land mass and is commonly referred to as the driest continent on earth.

You don't have to drive around for long to get a grasp on the vast amount of dry river beds that exist within the Australian Continent.

If there was some possible way to utilize all that melting water so those rivers could permanently flow, then I think it would definitely at least put a "dent" into the worlds ocean levels.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Just make sure you visit the Canadian side. That way you get to experience the awe of the lakes with out having to learn that pesky Murcaneze.

/Rattles

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

I agree with you aboot that.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

It would be interesting to do the math..maybe some of the math wiz members of ATS could drop in and let us know. I really do like your idea of the inland sea though... I would probably want to move there.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I've often thought along the similar lines.

But instead of wasting energy desalinating at the coast, why not build two salt water pipelines from Port Augusta?

One to the northern end of the lake to pump in fresh salt water and one at the southern end to let water back out to flush the lake and stop salt from accumulating as evaporation happens. keeping lake Eyre both full and shallow will cause rain clouds to form and let nature give us fresh water naturally. Solar distillation plants could also be built near the lake too, taking water and returning brine to the lake.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
20 million is plenty of people for a country. Be glad you aren't being swamped by growth Nazi's like we are in the US with traffic and housing prices rising daily while happiness and sanity are disappearing from the land.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There is a lake of boiling hot water under the surface in the middle of Australia, its under pressure, so no need for pumping...

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Lake Victoria in Africa creates it's own micro-climate. The evaporating water creates thunderstorms each day, and the water returns to the ground in the form of rain, helping cool and hydrate the area.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

How to water the desert

www.instructables.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

He hath spoken thine holiest of canadianese!

Give that man a star.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

And Bob's your uncle!

-dex

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Step 1. Build a seawater siphon system from the two nearest oceanic water sources to inland Step 2.

Step 2. Contruct seawater holding lakes for solar distillation. Simple black plastic evaporation runoff systems to then feed the fresh distilled water to the below sea level depression. Might be able to use the preexisting tributaries. If done correctly, and the below sea level depression is surveyed correctly, could be a lowcost, energy free solution to your problem.

Step 3. Sell it to the Austrailian government and send me a royalty check.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

I don't think it is a realistic idea IMHO.

We could build massive spaceships instead and terraform deserts.

They would release many many tons of spores from space, while orchestra performers play inspirational scores, bringing tears to people's eyes.

I feel so inspired already! I believe it will work!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   

edit on 2-3-2016 by johnb because: bad math

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

Thank you for running those numbers....but...are you saying it would be 38.5 km3 or 38,500 km3

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

9,500km 2 at average 1.5 - 5m depending on year lets say 2m so should be

9,500 * 0.002 = 19 km3 lol

Unless my maths is still crap but think it's right this time - still a lot of water but nothing like what i was suggesting

edit on 2-3-2016 by johnb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

what do you mean havent found a way !

they have its called air pollution they keep polluting so that we eventually have to live in domes and pay for our clean air or we die

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Did I miss something? Domes? Who's living in a dome?
Total Recall?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Why does man have the urge to conquer nature... Is it not nice that some places are left to just be themselves..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join