It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marshals Are Arresting People For Not Paying Student Loans

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: NautPsycho

I had 100k in student loans from when I was 17 over culinary arts school of all things.

Why would you ever feel this was a smart move?
Did you ever research the pay scale for cooks?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

The cost has increased, partly because of the addition of stupid safety features that aren't needed (anti-lock brakes, airbags, etc.) and the addition of unnecessary electronics (you shouldn't need a computer to start your car).

My guess you have little experience with cars from the 60's.
Unreliable death traps.
No one ever walked away from an accident with zero injuries.
You couldn't drive 20K miles without changing points or plugs.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Good! Get my tax dollar back.
But wasn't the guy who was arrested, something like 29 years behind????

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord
I absolutely enjoying every petite bit of it and I have you bookmarked to test out new substance you post.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
And what's even better, good ole boy Bernie Sanders wants to give EVERY kid free college, essentially flooding the market and devaluing the degree that some of us worked our ass offfor. I was a full time student (12-18 credit hours every quarter), I worked my day job 7-5pm every day and then I did night school from 5:45 to 10pm at night 4 nights a week.. It really pisses me off that I could possibly need to pay off my loan after all that hard work, while some other kids may get it for nothing...

1. it's a bad argument to deny improvement to another generation just because you didn't have it. Did your great-grandparents get all pissy about how easy everyone had things now with cars? It sucks for those of us who had to pay (I was 100% responsible for my own college education with no help) but I still want to see the situation change for future generations.

2. I live in a country currently that has free university - in fact, the government will pay you a cost-of-living stipend while you are there so that you don't have to work. The overall rate of college education is only slightly higher than in the US. It turns out, people are pretty lazy and the number of people who take advantage of opportunity is a pretty simple bell curve. It just means that those who DO go and aren't from wealthy families - don't graduate with crushing debt.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
A loan is a loan. If you can't pay it or think you can't just don't go for it in the first place. Or else work extra to earn the money if you owe money, it can be the govt, it can be a company, it could be the bank, you just have to pay it, even if you are wallowing in misery.I know people that pay terrific amounts and work a full time job, a part time job and another part time job to cover up all the costs they did in the first place to just own a place where to live plus the cost of living in itself plus bills to pay and if you loaned....you have to pay. No excuses.

But...I still believe in free education for locals. Where I am we don't pay for education. Unless of course you decide to go for private education then yes, you'll still have to pay sordid amounts that are likely to leave you money-less for a while.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Vold3mortia

I pretty much posted the same thing a little earlier and no one replied to my comment haha. I feel the same way, if you loaned someone money you would want it back also.

Star for you!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I worked, sacrificed, and saved as much money as I could for college to minimize my loans. I wasn't out buying clothes or music I didn't need, I didn't go out to eat twice a week at college, and I didn't buy booze every weekend. I became a minimalist.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

You know what really grinds my gears? Articles like this. Firstly, I wouldn't expect if from the owner of this site but hey, he has to keep that membercount up somehow.

the US Marshal Service is arresting people for not paying their student loans.

Read the #ing article, follow-up on sources, and don't try to scam people by misleading people by using buzzwords in the title, and cherry-picking and over exaggerate facts.

showing up with guns drawn in an overwhelming show of federal government intimidation run amok.

Wtf? Are you making # up? Marshalls carry guns, it's not a secret. Do you know who else carrys guns? Cops, so the next time you need a cop to help unlock your car door, you can make a post on how cops showed up with GUNS, TAZERS, PEPPERSPRAY, HANDCUFFS, BATONS, SHOTGUNS IN THE TRUNK, and a WINDOWPUNCH to unlock your door.

And now, if you can't pay, serious people with guns will be at your door.

Read below pls.

"The situation escalated when Aker verbally said to the deputies that he had a gun. After Aker made the statement that he was armed, in order to protect everyone involved, the deputies requested additional law enforcement assistance. Additional deputy marshals and local law enforcement officers responded to the scene. After approximately two hours, the law enforcement officers convinced Aker to peacefully exit his home, and he was arrested."

"Back in November 2006, Aker was sued by the federal government for nonpayment of more than $2,600 in unpaid federal student loan debt, according to documents from the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas (embedded below). The court record shows that Aker, listed as Winford P. Aker in the complaint, did not appear in court to answer the lawsuit and, as is common when student loan borrowers fail to appear, the presiding judge ruled against him and ordered Aker to pay the full balance on April 17, 2007."

"According to a statement from the U.S. Marshals Service, Aker repeatedly refused to show up in court after being contacted several times. The agency said Aker told them by phone he would not appear in court to answer the summons. Disobeying a court order is a criminal offense. Within a few months, the judge issued a warrant for his arrest, which the U.S. Marshals carried out. So, yes, Aker was arrested, but not just because he owed a little student loan debt. He was arrested for disobeying a court order."

The Marshals statement goes on to describe the arrest, saying Aker "resisted arrest and retreated back into his home" when agents arrived:

"The situation escalated when Aker verbally said to the deputies that he had a gun. After Aker made the statement that he was armed, in order to protect everyone involved, the deputies requested additional law enforcement assistance. Additional deputy marshals and local law enforcement officers responded to the scene. After approximately two hours, the law enforcement officers convinced Aker to peacefully exit his home, and he was arrested."

Have a good day. Hopefully, people can read past the headlines and follow sources.

finance.yahoo.com...
edit on 2-3-2016 by Laxpla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:10 AM
link   
paying to become a parrot in order to robotically carry out a task or job... now thats a concept. if it doesnt work fix it, if it does? who is benefitting? who who? now we are owls. both have wings and the freedom to fly unless injured or caged.

a comdian whos name escapes me... once said, im a bird I have the gift of flight, thanks for the cage a$$hole. or something to that effect.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

That's definitely a different take on Sen. Sanders' education plan. Most people seem to like it. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you, it's just interesting to see another perspective.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Evidence of martial law? «cleek» it lasts longer... than the 1000 words that could follow these >...
i have a right to remain silent so i decided to dwell in silence that not one bias can find 980...

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'm certain that the cost of the US Marshalls, transportation of the prisoner, court fees, etc, were far in excess of the $1500 owed.

posted on Apr, 12 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Bernie Sanders is a criminal chode.

a reply to: Swills

edit on 12-4-2016 by jakball because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord My student loan is preventing me from buying a house because its driving my debt to income ratio up to 70% even with a decent credit score and income. Ive been paying on a 20k loan for 4 years at 240 a month and am now only gotten it down to 18k.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join