It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marshals Are Arresting People For Not Paying Student Loans

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

What about the trillions of dollars that the US as a country owes?

Oh, i get it, treat the individual like theyre a felon for being in debt in a rigged system, but let the country get away with murder.

#ing idiots.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Malynn
a reply to: jhn7537

We're quite aware he doesn't have a magic wand you know. One of the main pillars of his message is he can't do it alone. One of his slogans is "NOT ME! US!" Its taken 100 years for everything to go to hell and its going to take time to turn things around. But to do that we have to START somewhere! Just because it's hard and the cards are stacked doesn't mean it's time to just take it.

He's building a movement. And it's working. Show me another candidate filling arenas. I don't see people popping up all over the country calling themselves "Trump Republicans" and running against incumbents. But there are self-styled Sanders Democrats challenging Nancy Pelosi and Debbie Whatshername-Schultz right now. And more that I can't remember. Most of Congress is up for reelection this cycle and the constant refrain of the Berners is "TIME TO CLEAN THE HOUSE"

And there is a lot he can do even with sizeable road blocks. The media can't ignore him when he's president. And all the while the movement grows.

If you really care to clean house, there's only ONE thing needed... TERM LIMITS in the House and Senate... No reason why anyone should be a career politician. You get in, you serve your two terms, you're out... If you want radical change, that's how you'll do it, and not by Bernie's plan...

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

And why exactly can't we have both? I am profoundly in favor of term limits for all. But term limits alone are not going to fix a rigged economy or solve the student loan crisis.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

And why exactly can't we have both? I am profoundly in favor of term limits for all. But term limits alone are not going to fix a rigged economy or solve the student loan crisis.

Term limits will help get out of congress all the 'under the table' deals that control fiscal policy within our Govt. The reason why it's so hard to administer change, is because these relationships are all deep and very developed, and carefully maneuvered along the way, so when you break these ties, essentially bringing in "new" blood; i'd hope we'd then see change.. I don't like the kind Bernie is promoting, and I don't think it's financially feasible. I've been to his site, I've read his material, I've looked over how he plans on securing these funds, but until congress has term limits in place, nothing will ever get passed or change... Which is why I don't even put stock in Bernie, because I know Wall Street and all the major corporations will never allow it to happen...

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I also grew up poorer than a church mouse, with 4 sisters and 5 brothers.

I couldn't afford a fancy named school and had to go to college on a BEOG, and an academic scholarship, at a local community college. It was a no name college but it was accredited, inexpensive, and they didn't play games.

If you took a full schedule in your major and you flunked one class, all your classes were placed on hold until you passed the class you failed. If you passed the failed class you were allowed to resume a full class load, but if you flunked another class, your classes were adjusted to accommodate what you could manage. If you failed the class a second time, the school released you and would only allow you to take single classes. They prided themselves on making room for the students that were serious about learning.

With this cheap, pauper's education, I got accepted with all my course credits, at several well named Universities, including an Ivy League University.

The name of the school you attended, doesn't say anything about your intelligence, your character, or your abilities.
I have worked with people that haven't had one hour of formal education, that are more knowledgeable, and more skilled, than the person that has a Master's degree from a prestigious University.

You can't judge the applicant by looking at their cover. You have to look inside to see the real person and what they have to offer. Don't fall for the the Emperor's cloak, or the gilding, most of the time it is just fools gold.

edit on 17-2-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word fix.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

We'll have to agree to disagree. I really have nothing to add to what I've said other than I believe you to be wrong.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Unfortunately, in today's job market, you need to be tough on the market. You don't have time to look at all resumes that want to fill that role, so you need to put search parameters in place, like i do. ie, education level, experience, etc... I get that you came from a tough background like I did too. Nothing is/was easy about making my way out, but it is possible.. I did 2 years at a junior college (most affordable option at time), I raised my grades to a 4.0. Once my 2 year was complete (at a very cheap price) I then reached out to my private university for the remaining 2 years of my education. From there I went for merit based scholarships, which I was able to secure. I had over half off my tuition covered, due to my GPA, being apart of 2 honors societies (Phi Kappa Phi & Golden Key Honour Society) and because of that hard work, I was able to finish my last 2 years at a private catholic school (that's well known) for under $20k... I will do that a million times over, because I've already seen HEAVY ROI off that investment of time and the degree I received... So, I guess you make what you want of your life. Some play the poor me card, while others refuse to be another statistic...
edit on 17-2-2016 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
This makes me happy there is no debtor's jail in Canada.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

We'll have to agree to disagree. I really have nothing to add to what I've said other than I believe you to be wrong.

Which is fine... No one ever said we needed to see eye to eye here. We have fundamental beliefs that differ here, we seem to be falling on opposite ends of the spectrum, other than the one thing we do agree on, which is term limits for all...

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hell, they don't even have to arrest then. Just do what they are doing to me, they take my tax return as annual payment for my school loan.I'm ok with it, cause it's the only debt I have left, and I don't depend on my tax return for my regular monthly bills, and I get quite a decent tax return and my school loan should be paid off in about 5 years or so, sooner with raises, then it's all me.upset they strongarmed me, but grateful my debt it's almost paid off.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
Because its relatively impossible to live off an art degree, which makes the degree useless... Higher education to me, was always about making myself the most attractive candidate for the employers I wanted to work for. It wasn't to find myself, it wasn't to chase a hobby or dream, it was to make money. I chose a business degree from a reputable school, and I took my time at my school very seriously, aka, wasn't partying all the time. I cared about gaining employment and building a life for myself. I suppose we all choose college for different reasons. My reason was to gain employment, and to begin earning a healthy living where I could support my family and myself comfortably.

No, it's not. It depends on the business you use your art degree in, but the same is true of other fields as well. If you're trying to make a living in sculpture or painting it can be very difficult to make a living off of an art degree but, if you're using your business degree to maximize your management ability at Arbys it can be difficult as well.

If you take that art degree and do CGI, or 3d modeling, there is great earnings potential. In video games for example, art is the slowest resource to generate and also the most expensive. Video game artists typically make about $130k compared to the programmers $110k, and they're harder to outsource because other countries don't have the overproduced talent necessary. Then subsets of those fields can make even more, a typical 2d texture artist who has some talent and a couple years experience is easily worth $200k per year (note that the texture artist is probably the single most valuable person on the entire development team, they determine the entire look and feel of your game which will in turn be the single highest factor in sales).

Note that while these may all be digital art fields, to be good at digital art one needs to be good at traditional art as well. This is actually how you can tell whether your school is going to teach you useful information or BS in the field. If they have a strong focus on traditional art with a few classes on using digital tools you're going to be in a much better position than if the school teaches you just the digital tools. This is because with one you can tell the software what to do, but in the other you have the artistic talent to know why you should tell the software to do a particular thing.
edit on 17-2-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
blah bl
edit on 1722016 by southernplayalistic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Hope they don't come for me next, as I owe about 8k in student loans and that amount is only for 1 semester of online college from 2 schools.
Both were scams whose curriculum were 15 years obsolete in their textbooks information. You wouldn't know until after beginning classes and discovering the academic travesty. Univ. of Phoenix was the biggest scam of all and still is. I can't even believe they are still in business and able to be milking the government for payment based on their garbage they use as scholastic material.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   
This whole story is obviously fake, btw. A private company told some lies in the press to encourage people to make more payments.

It costs way more to have the US Marshalls arrest somebody (~$30,000) than most of these loans are worth in total. Whereas, buying a fake scare story in the press was probably considered worth a shot because it was cheap.

originally posted by: Aazadan
[summary: art degrees aren't a bad idea at all anymore]

Yep. The whole cliche about them being worthless is so disappointing to still hear, because they took off in a huge way coinciding roughly with the broadband internet era. All they had to do was learn digital skills as well. Those people have been making a nice living doing really satisfying work.

Of course, like everyone with a nice job in a nice field, they kind of don't want to crow about it out of fear that everyone will pile into the field...and they also know that visual art is an extremely trainable skill set. Talent or something undefinable may separate the average graphic artist from the visionary, but so many people don't realize that if they only had the training and put the time in, they too could make realistic drawings or other things they never thought they'd be capable of.

I mean seriously, high quality(in terms of skill of execution) visual art being practically everywhere now is one of the hallmarks of our era. These days, movies, TV, videogames, etc all often have unremarkable, unsatisfying, rushed, shoddy, etc stories...but wow do they tend to look gorgeous. The old masters are surely looking in on the world now from beyond the grave with at least SOME degree of envy. Botticelli never even saw Japanese art, let alone got to play a beautiful FREAKIN VIDEO GAME like Okami. You can play Assassin's Creed II and climb around Renaissance Florence and Venice in 1080p.

Psychology was another cliche "worthless" degree that has been desirable in a wide variety of fields for decades now, yet the stereotype persists. Pair it with any business degree for an employable combo.

Around ~2000, everyone said CompSci was dead! It was because of the 'dot com bust' where the first wave of internet/tech stocks crashed. People also said 'forget it, you'll never be able to compete with all the poor kids from India and China' which has kindof turned out to be long run true sortof...yet meanwhile there has been a huge amount of time since then for people to make a lot of money and have a career etc. And of course, some of the people saying it was dead were people who just wanted less competition in their area of choice.

People just don't really know what is going to be valuable in 10 years, is all it amounts to. You have to pick something and hope for the best and if you picked the wrong thing, you have to try to find a way to get something else. Most people just give up and live with whatever mistake they made the first time around, becuase life just tends to make it harder and harder to be able to re-configure into something new.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: DonVoigt
Hell, they don't even have to arrest then. Just do what they are doing to me, they take my tax return as annual payment for my school loan.I'm ok with it, cause it's the only debt I have left, and I don't depend on my tax return for my regular monthly bills, and I get quite a decent tax return and my school loan should be paid off in about 5 years or so, sooner with raises, then it's all me.upset they strongarmed me, but grateful my debt it's almost paid off.

That would have probably happened its his failure to appear for the seopoena that got him in trouble. An arrest warrant was issued by the judge for failure to appear. I had the same thing happen to me over a parking ticket. I was visiting a friend in California and forgot about it as life continued. I found out a couple of years later I had an arrest warrant in the state of California. I had to pay court costs and fines totaling about 2000 for a 50 dollar ticket. There was the ticket and I was charged with court costs for 2 court dates and fines. I only found out because I was in the military and was getting a security clearance and it showed up.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

I got signed up for the program. It did take a few times of submitting the paperwork.

Still have a few years to go. You have to make 120 payments total. But it is based on income so the payments are lower then what it would be straight up.

You also have to have the loan with the Dept of education to make it work. I had to have them transfer my loans.

Now if I get the foregiveness, I'll have to see when I get that far. But I'm gonna try.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

originally posted by: dismanrc

originally posted by: Puppylove

I'm screwed by student loans and bad mistakes, I don't want others to suffer the same fate as I did. Sorry your so selfish you'd rather more generations screwed over like us. Is like a black man being against slavery being abolished cause it would mean his descendants didn't have to be slaves like he was.

Just to give you a heads up.

If you work for the government, a non profit or ANY public service (IE police, fire, EMT etc.) there is a loan forgiveness program. You pay a reduce payment for ten years and afetr that the rest is forgiven.

studentaid.ed.gov...

Teachers also have something like this.

Yes, that's right. I remember when Obama talked about that.

The precedent is already set to absolve credit for federal employees. The next step is nationalized higher education and eventually retroactive reparations to former graduates.

Not just federal employees. ANY on that works for public service. Fed, State Local also teachers and most non-profits.

You DO have to keep paying, but anything you have NOT paid off after 10 years can be forgiven.

It started before Obama was in office, but he may have expanded it. I know teaches and non-profits have had it for a long time.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I'm GLAD I got my loans discharged.
I owed like $15k and they were all discharged when the VA determined I was 100% disabled

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I thought debtor's prisons were illegal in the US? I guess we are returning to the olden days after all...

PS: You CAN discharge student loan debt in bankruptcy. It's just really hard and tedious.

How to Discharge Student Loans via Bankruptcy

And not a sure thing. You could go through all of the work and the judge will usually deny it.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Semicollegiate

Yea. It's by no means easy or even guaranteed as you pointed out, but it IS possible. Just denying a bit of ignorance there. Thanks for the clarification though.

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join