It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret and Not So Secret UK Bases and Installations

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Quite a lot of the info presented on the first page is out of date judging from the Lincolnshire entry: (mistakes I noticed in a glance)

Army - Kirton-in-Lindsey. 22nd Air Def. Reg [this is now 1st something command RAF, the site has been scaled down considerably]

RAF bimbrook has been closed since the late 80's!

I know this as I have seen both sites recently

On a side note I get some awsome air displays at my house as its used as a navigation point by the RAF, recently I had a nimrod fly over at about 30m from the ground in a v formation with red arrows swith smoke coming out. Quite cool

[edit on 5-7-2007 by kipman725]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
RAF Binbrook has indeed been closed since the late 80's.

However, as far as I am able to ascertain, the bomb storage site and deep underground ammunition bunkers are probably still in use today, in some way.

The RAF does like to store its ordnance all over the place and never fills one basket.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Correction
Staffordshire: Leek. (known as 'Anzio Camp')
My mother lives very close to this place and when I was a postman I delivered mail here on a daily basis.
Security was low and there was a casual feeling to his base.
Due to the location of this base it was primarily used for training young recruits in a region of wind lashed moorland and rocky terrain.
I believe it is now decommisioned and homes have been built on the land.

Anzio Camp scroll down to view.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nescafe8572

Originally posted by thesaint
I have mentioned before on ATS about a secret underground bunker in a place called Ouston which is not too far from Newcastle. It was a old RAF base turned into a infantary camp. I was based there some years ago with the Army however the Airfield was out of bounds.

Is this the place

www.subbrit.org.uk...

No its not the place. This place definitely exsists as i spent a few months based there. It is a huge airfield with a enormous hangar. This guard is literally a "Little Guard Hut" out on its own in the airfield. There is a permiter fence round it with 2 gates to get into the compound itself. Next to the Hut is a elevated metal floor. The trucks would simply drive onto the floor and be lowered down. We could witness this almost every Sunday morning but some times whilst on sentry duty all night the odd vehicle here and there would come into camp and drive straight to this place and go underground. We were told to stay away from the airfield but could see it from our parade ground. Well we could see enough to work out what was going on. The airfield is now disused and overgrown

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Just found this reference Ouston whilst searching:

RAF Ouston NZ080700 Opened in March 1941 as a fighter station and Sector HQ in 13 Group, Fighter Command, to replace Usworth. There was a WW2 decoy site at Berwick Hill - NZ181767; this is still a military area. Ouston assumed a training role in June 1943 and this continued after the war. Served as a civil airport for 5 months in 1967 while Newcastle Airport underwent alterations. The site was taken over by the Army shortly afterwards and was renamed 'Albemarle Barracks'. The site has an unusually high degree of security, no doubt because it is a staging post for convoys carrying nuclear warheads between Aldermaston and the Scottish submarine bases.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
Just found this reference Ouston whilst searching:

Use google earth gives great view of the base, its known as forma RAF Ouston now Albarmarle Barracks.

nothing secret there

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
having said nothing there

If you look at the Airstrip then pan to the small strip crossing it you`ll notice a large square perimeter with a single bunker with three to four large aerial masts.Outside the bunker is parked a white transit type vehicle surrounded by three green vehicles one at the rear one at front offside slightly forward and one forward but away from vehicle.There parked in a definate defensive formation.

Looks odd for the area.And the perometer looks very secure for a logistic base. two double fence area with wider perimeter outside.

[edit on 6-7-2007 by nescafe8572]

[edit on 6-7-2007 by nescafe8572]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Hi Nescafe,

You are correct about the aerial shot, it is a secure compand at Albemarle barracks. The compound is used as a secure overnight stopping point for nuclear weapons convoys on their way from Burghfield/Aldermaston to the scottish submarine sites. Nothing more or less sinister than that!

Oh and as for whomever it was going on about the UK MOD HQ's being secret, look for Ben or olde salisbury etc... well that is absolute rubbish. Anything I say from now on is not in violation of any secrecy laws that I may be bound by.
The UK MOD is at Whitehall london, extremely easy to spot on Google and yeah it's close to Big Ben if that was supposed to be a cryptic clue? The actual operations of the UK forces are directed from MOD Northwood (HMS Warrior as was), a place I have visited several times, both above and below ground. It is guarded by Marines and I don't think I've ever personally met an officer there lower than Lt Col!
Whitehall is secure and is linked to many other goverment sites in the city of Westminster...no surprises there. Heck, if you watch BBC news you'll see it just about every day!
Where you also refering to Salisbury Plain? Well that is basically a training site, you can drive practically through the middle of it but may have to stop to let the odd challenger cross the road !
Other large MOD admin sites also include the colossal MOD Abbey Wood near Bristol, this is mainly where the integrated project teams are ran from. Also is RAF Wyton, where amongst other things the tornado IPT sits. High Wycombe is where RAF Strike command is based. The location of all of these sites is well known and not classified! Goings on at Corsham are slightly more sensitive!

Cheers

Robbie

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Oh and as for whomever it was going on about the UK MOD HQ's being secret, look for Ben or olde salisbury etc... well that is absolute rubbish. Anything I say from now on is not in violation of any secrecy laws that I may be bound by.

Stratsys-sws, it was me who alluded to MOD being secret etc. For God's sake, get a life mate. I was trying to be funny, like this........

Regarding RAF Northwood/HMS Warrior/MOD Northwood, it is indeedy above and below ground. Top ranking officers such as DLB are protected by the SAS/SBS and others by the elite RMP's Close Protection Unit. So no mystery there!

To be really honest Stratsys-sws, if you knew where MOD was in Whitehall, why all the fuss asking where it was located?

Salisbury is just a training site, is it? News to me mate! SPTA is divided in three: WEST, CENTRAL and EAST and has always been a veritable hive of activity.

Starting in the west, we have the Warminster Training Centre including the world famous Battlebury Bowl where the Sch of Inf conducts it's annual firepower demos.

To the east is the majority of the training area encompassing the following units and establishments:

Copehill Down Urban Warfare Training Centre with Fox covert DZ and the Royal School of Artillery;

At Netheravon, we have the Reconnaissance Wing and Support Weapons Wing of the old Sch of Inf and also the Parachute & Support Unit at Netheravon Airfield;

Ranges are located at Warminster (inc SF Generals), Bulford and Perham Down;

Battle Camps are located at Upavon, Netheravon, New Zealand Farm, Westdown and Knook with low level Company urban facilities at Imber Village, Imber Court and Beeches Barn.

As for Chally 2s crossing the road via Charlie Charlie, in 25 years, I have yet to see any tank using a tank crossing - anywhere!

For Olde Salisbury - read 'B' (RWY) Squadron, Royal Wessex Yeomanry, Old Sarum - read the former RAF Old Sarum. Right next door, used to be Headquarters Land Command, now moved to where world famous carpets were manufactured - Wilton.

[edit on 16-7-2007 by fritz]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Hi Fritz,

Thank you for posting the information you were so reluctant to post earlier!
I was simply saying that the location of the MOD offices is not classified, as you suggested! I also managed to say it without personal insult and suggesting that you should "get a life". It seemed like you were trying to 'big yourself up' because you knew where the MOD HQ is? whhoooppy doooo! I stated a fact, suggesting the MOD HQ is secret is absolute rubbish!
The fact is, none of us on here that may be privvy to classified information is going to talk about it on a board...simple!

As for challengers crossing the road, you're right...very rare..I was joking, "you know as in
" but I'll refrain from telling you to "get a life" and just ask you to practice what you preach!

Cheers

Robbie

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by stratsys-sws "get a life"

Cheers for that Mate. For the record I now have another life, having been given a second chance by the great Moderator in the Sky.

This time two weeks ago, I was in the CPAU ward above A&E in Gloucester Royal Hospital, having suffered a very minor heart attack. No probs but I am on Ramipril and Simvastatin tablets for the forseeable future.

Hey Robby, if we can't have a laugh and a joke at our own expense, what's left?

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Hey Fritz,

(OT post coming up!)

Good luck with the recovery, sorry to hear about the heart attack....just out of interest how old are you? I'm 29 and was lying in bed the other night and my left arm was aching and hurting all over, really weird....I thought I was just about to have one.....but I didn't!

Get well soon,

Robbie

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Hey Robbie, I wish I was your age again! I like to think of myself as the ubiquitous 'Old Un' or 'Old Man' in the Sven Hassel books about the 27th (Penal) Panzer division.

For the record, I am 55 on October 5th BUT before any of you send flowers, I ain't dead yet!

Seriously though, my heart started hurting at 06:45 hours and went on until 11:45 hrs when the A&E Staff sprayed this magic potion underneath my tongue.

As for your arm Robbie, stop lying on it

I had no pain, tingling and neither did I have pins and needles in either arm, so I am afraid that, as far as I was concerned, my arms were not much good as an indicator.

However if you are that worried Robbie, get to a doctor and have an ECG. At least if you do that, you should have peace of mind.

[edit on 30-7-2007 by fritz]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Why would secret bases be know to any of you?! As civilians you are not given information regarding any establishment or facility that falls under military law or protection.

For example, Ordernance survey maps are blank on maps to prevent knowledge of "base" and "camp" details. To prevent terrorist activity etc. You might as well say that Dartmoor is a gigantic Nuclear establishment as there are signs telling you to remain on the footpath.

Civee wannabees!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
My dad works here:

"Royal Corp Signals HQ - Blandford"

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS[/url]

Uummmm, err, no they're not mate.

Purchase any decent 1/50,000 scale Landranger map of the UK which just happens to cover a military site, you'll be amazed at the detail on so called 'civvie' maps.

Indeed, all Military maps are based on the civvie 'Landranger' series of maps and, if my info is correct, the current set is, Edition - 7 GSGS,
Series 5924.

These maps give plenty of details of military sites and training areas, and often show so called and not so secret, 'secret' bases or estates.

As to your rant, and I quote: 'You might as well say that Dartmoor is a gigantic Nuclear establishment as there are signs telling you to remain on the footpath' - get real!

Even crap-hat civvies know that Dartmoor is a Mil Training Area with shed loads of unexploded ordnance scattered about! Why? Because Landranger maps tell you so.

Of course Anonymous, you do know that Dartmoor is also home to ancient 'bottomless' bogs and is allegedly 'home' to the giant, mythical
'Beast of Dartmoor'? Could this be why ramblers are urged to 'Stay on the Footpath'!

As to your slight: Civee wannabees! I will respond by respectfully pointing out that you may call others 'civee wannabees' if you need to resort to that type of reposte.

In my case, I have over 40 years of military service and, although I may not always be 'current', I do know what I am writing about.

I strongly object to being spoken down to in that manner.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This post looks stunning inaccurate.

For example, it claims that ex-RAF Hendon is the Met Police's HQ. No, the site is the Met's training centre. HQ is New Scotland Yard, 10 Broadway, SW1.

I don't think Cranfield in Beds has military connections these days....

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Information

RAF UPWOOD
I believe it is a defunct military airbase. Has it's own housing (still in use). It is quite remote and located in the middle of several fields next to a very small village. The easiest way to get there is to take a bus from Peterborough and then to walk a few miles.

NOTTINGHAM - MIDLANDS OTC + TA + MEDIC CORP + CADETS
Located on High Rd, Beeston.

Possible base/Classified
I believe there is possibly a 'secret' transport link to a military base that is underground. It is a tunnel in Derbyshire that was previously used by Foxes (for transporting steel). I believe it may have been turned into an underground base/bunker or be part of a transport system.

The exact name of the place escapes me but it is so interesting to be around there and to know how it was used, it just makes the possibilties seemingly unreal.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by amanbuthimself]

[edit on 14-7-2008 by amanbuthimself]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
One of the bases in nottingham i live like a minute away from it.

I live on the same road as it but its a very small base.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by amanbuthimself

Update

Nottingham - EAST MIDLAND OTC + 202 FIELD HOSPITAL + CADETS (ARMY + AIR) + TA

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join