It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret and Not So Secret UK Bases and Installations

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost01

Lastly, your comment on the spelling. Both of us are actually correct! The British spell it with a "C", as you have done. However, over here in the USA we spell defense with an "S":

no they bloody well are not - we are talking ENGLISH in respect of the ministry of defence , a BRITISH insitution

therefore it is not correct to use american bastardations of our fine language

they are [ american and MODERN english ] are diffenent languages - with a common origin

would you interchange spannish and portugese so cavalierly ?

your own " defence " validates my observation

Defense = American spelling

Defence = British Spelling [[ EDIT ] actually it is the ENGLISH spelling ] ]

SO , almost right

no offence

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

would you interchange spannish and so cavalierly ?

Spanish isn`t a language.The Spanish speak Castellano there isn`t any translation in the English language for Castellano.

Yes when you see adverts to learn Spanish they are incorrect,but it`s a way for people who don`t recognise Castellano as being the language of Spanish people.

Its the same as saying would you like to learn British.

I guess not everybody is an expert

[edit on 24-6-2007 by nescafe8572]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Mod Edit: Please see your u2u's for more information

[edit on 6/24/07 by FredT]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Mod Edit: Please stay ON topic.

[edit on 6/24/07 by FredT]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I am not too sure what happened last Sunday afternoon, although a Mod sent me a cut & paste of what was allegedly posted by me in this thread.

I cannot, in all honesty, remember posting anything in this thread.

I can only apologise for my behaviour and can assure all concerned that there will be no repitition.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
To get back to the issue in hand....

A friend of mine on a yacht went out for a sail down the crouch and out into the Estuary last Friday. The wind had strengthened in the afternoon and veered to the West, as he was trying to come back upriver. He put his engine on rather than have to tack constantly into a headwind and a foul tide. It was at this point that the water-lock in his exhaust sprang a leak.

He dropped anchor off Shoeburyness, still in the mouth of the Crouch and began to fix it. Within minutes he was hailed on the VHF by the local patrol boat asking him what the hell he was doing anchoring in a live-firing area. "Having engine trouble, if that OK with you" was my mate's reply. He was asked how long itt would take, as "they" wanted to commence firing and he was in the way! To cut a longer story short, he was contacted a total of five times before they finally called him up and told him they were cancelling firing for the day.

What I want to know is what the hell would they have been firing out into a waterway busy with both leisure and commercial traffic? There is a restricted anchoring area around there, but we rarely get any activity from Foulness or Shoeburyness that impinges on the river, not like the lulworth range on the south coast.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
They dont fire out into the water. They fire at targets on land but some of the stuff they fire can carry for miles and they have to leave a safety zone.

Didnt you hear about the woman who was shot a mile or so away from Bisley and they traced the bullet back to a rifel being fired that day.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Actually Chorlton, she was killed by a policeman firing a 9mm pistol on the range 1 1/2 miles away. The chap in question, was firing high and his coach had not picked up on this.

Tragically, it took that poor lady's death to illustrate to recruits, that rounds do not suddenly stop dead when they have reached the end of their effective range, but do carry on for some considerable distance.

As to your query about military ranges on the coast and troops apparently firing into the sea Karilla, this was common practice about the time when firearms were first introduced, and especially so, during the Napoleonic Wars.

Indeed, the Cinque Ports in Kent and Sussex had musket ranges built alongside as the surviving range at the Napoleonic Fort of Tregantle and Scraesden Battery and Fort system near Plymouth indicates; Altcar and Dover have their own ranges, as do Lydd and Hythe.

I have enjoyed many a quiet Sunday morning at Pilning Ranges in the Severn Estuary in the sentry hut. We had binos and a field telephone to warn the firing point if any ships encroached in to the danger area.

[edit on 26-6-2007 by fritz]

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I am obliged to the honourable gentleman for correcting me

And to our American Friends THIS is how you hide a secret bunker

[edit on 26/6/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
An excellent example of camouflage. Well done Chorlton.

Nothing like hiding in plain sight, now is there?

At least the Highways Agency has the decency not to post 'Top Secret' bases on it's roadsigns.

[edit on 1-7-2007 by fritz]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton

It a heritage site ie a museum.The brown outer edge indicates British Heritage site.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Oh come on nescafe8572!

Did you really think I'd not know that that was a Heritage Site?

And because of your appalling breach of security, hundreds, if not thousands of internet spies have now ammended their notes and taken that site off targetting lists!

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by nescafe8572

Originally posted by Chorlton

It a heritage site ie a museum.The brown outer edge indicates British Heritage site.

By the looks of it, its the Kelvedon one? My girlfriend was talking to me about that place 2 days ago. She went there once. Sounds like an interesting place.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
Oh come on nescafe8572!

Did you really think I'd not know that that was a Heritage Site?

After your appalling escapade on Sunday i thought you might have needed a guiding hand.

Plus the excuse you didn`t honestly know what you did, poor man you use that when you`ve slept with your girls best friend not taking the urine on ATS

PS it was meant to show the gulible US members who do post that kinda of mark to there A51 that we are more intelligent.

PPS.How much did you drink on a Sunday afternoon

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I have mentioned before on ATS about a secret underground bunker in a place called Ouston which is not too far from Newcastle. It was a old RAF base turned into a infantary camp. I was based there some years ago with the Army however the Airfield was out of bounds. Upon the airfield is a guard hut surrounded by 15 foot high fences and razor wire it is literally a little secluded compound with just one guard hut. However next to the hut is a metal plated floor which is actually a elevator. Many times i have witnessed trucks driving onto this plate then being lowered underground never to return. This used to happen on the dot at 1000hrs every Sunday Morning

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
I have mentioned before on ATS about a secret underground bunker in a place called Ouston which is not too far from Newcastle. It was a old RAF base turned into a infantary camp. I was based there some years ago with the Army however the Airfield was out of bounds. Upon the airfield is a guard hut surrounded by 15 foot high fences and razor wire it is literally a little secluded compound with just one guard hut. However next to the hut is a metal plated floor which is actually a elevator. Many times i have witnessed trucks driving onto this plate then being lowered underground never to return. This used to happen on the dot at 1000hrs every Sunday Morning

What do you suppose was going on with the trucks being lowered underground?

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by capt23

What do you suppose was going on with the trucks being lowered underground?

I think they were taking the beer to Fritz

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
I have mentioned before on ATS about a secret underground bunker in a place called Ouston which is not too far from Newcastle. It was a old RAF base turned into a infantary camp. I was based there some years ago with the Army however the Airfield was out of bounds.

Is this the place

www.subbrit.org.uk...

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   

PPS.How much did you drink on a Sunday afternoon

No excuses mate! I always put me 'ands up if and when I'm to blame.

For the record, it was 3/4s of a bottle of Peach flavoured Absolute Vodka. I don't really know why I did it, I usually drink the Vanilla Vodka.

Bloody Swedes!

By the by nescafe8572, I don't drink beer. UUUuuuggghhhh! The very thought of it. I am back on cider and it has been 30 odd years since the amber necture [not that pissy Aussie stuff] has passed me lips. I am now very partial to the odd drop of Mangers - even with ice!

[edit on 5-7-2007 by fritz]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
No excuses mate! I always put me 'ands up if and when I'm to blame.

Bloody Swedes!

It wasn`t that bad, and quite funny.

I don`t know why the mods editted well actually i do know why but thats another story.

New World Order on ATS, next well have to wear all the same clothing before posting on here soon.As humans we are incapable of using our own sense of control.We need to be told how to act

Anyway back to the line and topic

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join