It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I used to believe in Jesus Christ but now I don't.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Last night someone asked me why I didn't believe anymore... and I simply said, "I grew up and finally admitted that I didn't know anymore." I didn't go any deeper than that.

But in the past my faith served it's purpose, yes it did. It allowed me to endure incredible abuses, it allowed me to love my abusers, it gave me a hope and a peace that in the end... all would be right again... so I just had to sit tight and suffer a little or a lot longer before I died because in the afterlife things would make sense again and be good... but now looking back on it all, isn't that so very jacked up?

It looks more like a sports team than anything else now. Or a political party, which can also be likened to sports teams. Where everyone has their side... and whoever's not on their side is the enemy be damned to hell! But honestly, how do you endure the torture of knowing that someone you love is going to burn in hell for eternity...? And what are the psychological consequences of that mind state long-term, I wonder?

When I was little I had my own otherworldly vision of God and I believed very strongly for a very long time and I had it all figured out and no one could tell me any different... until I turned thirty and came face to face with death itself, literally(I know I look younger). And it was then that I faced some very hard things, things that changed my life, and now that I know the vision was just a production of my own mind(hallucinations are sometimes psychosomatic responses to trauma)... I see everything with new eyes. "God" is no longer external, for one, but more or less internal... and if you find me projecting my own experiences onto yours then I apologize truly but I can't help it because now whenever people talk about God, I perceive that they are really just talking about themselves (as if in the third person)... and without even knowing that they're doing it. Wow!

Sometimes it's beautiful, I'll admit. But mostly it's not because of the division it creates. But I do understand that there are real enemies in the world that any of us at any point in time might be cornered into a situation where we are forced to fight to get out of, however... it seems to me that a lot of people make unnecessary enemies out of one another whenever it comes down to sports, politics, and religion.

And there you have it, a nobodies perspective daring to know something new for once!

I, too, sense the mystery of life in general and I'm not opposed to the idea of a god or a higher power at all. But I'm just now deciding, and declaring, that I'll never choose any one religion over another and be part of that ridiculous charade ever again.

(I think this is the right place/forum to post in?)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I believe in Jesus but I believe he was just what they call a Messiah. Filled with good will. I believe there is something governing this reality but I do not know what it is. The real reality, not the one that deceivers have formed. I understand the deception and know how deception compounds forming something that is not even close to the truth.

So is this entity governing the real reality called god or one of the names I have heard him called? Who knows, maybe this link of all living things doesn't even have a name or maybe it has billions of different names throughout the universe. It doesn't matter to me, I just know there is something there and want to learn more about it. I am not going to find out much in a church, they teach their version of it.

So am I going to hell? Not this winter, Hell is about two hundred miles south of here and it is pretty snowy there this time of the year.
edit on 31-12-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

Curious, what faith (church) were you brought up in? I fired my 'faith' & church about 12yrs ago.....

Thankfully, made it back on board a few years back and things are good (in my soul) for me now ...

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I guess I sort of see where you are coming from. I'm not religious, but I'm spiritual and I do believe in Jesus.

Religion is man made and money driven, for the most part. Jesus wasn't about that, he hung with the misfits and taught about love and how that's the only thing that matters (in a nutshell).

Why, I don't know if I can explain why I believe, I just do. I guess I've just seen too much to make me a believer, rather than not.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

My mom is a non-denominational christian, and took my siblings and I to a nearby Calvery Church (the ones founded by Chuck Smith) when we were little.

My dad was agnostic.

What about you, and what lead you back on board?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

My mom is a non-denominational christian, and took my siblings and I to a nearby Calvery Church (the ones founded by Chuck Smith) when we were little.
WOW . Chuck Smith is a brother in the faith imo . I have listened to his podcasts and found him to be #1 .I am curious if you went from believing to unbelieving as a result of other opinions or was it because of scripture ?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Jesus said
If you have come to me
It is because the father had sent you
And he will raise you up in the last days

This means you will suffer misfortune
By the evil doers who you will forgive
Again and again
Until the father removes them all from the
Earth
Leaving all those who obeyed him to
Inherit the earth along with all the
Fruits of the labour of the evil doers

I too left Jesus may years ago
I became a Marxist stooge
Thought religion poisoned the mind
A communist view

But now i am back
With a faith in Christ so strong
Nothing and no one can move me

be a rock
And not roll

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Don't you be afraid, for I am with you; don't be dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you; yes, I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness.

And behold, I am with you every day, even unto the end of time. Everyone therefore who hears these my words, and does them, will be likened to the wise man who built his house on solid rock.

Yeshua said, “I AM THE LIVING GOD, The Way and The Truth and The Life; no man comes to my Father but by me alone.”

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
yeah you'll get a lot of people posting how you are lost and you'll find your way back to god, or that you made the wrong choice, quote a bunch of sage jesus sayings blah blah.

Welcome to freedom, now spirit has a chance to actually blossom instead of perish

What a powerful description you penned

t allowed me to endure incredible abuses, it allowed me to love my abusers, it gave me a hope and a peace that in the end... all would be right again... so I just had to sit tight and suffer a little or a lot longer before I died because in the afterlife things would make sense again and be good

I wish you light, laughter love and joy. However it comes to you, under the rules of old mens scripture from thousands of years ago or newer hip preachers or just your own head and heart.

Hugs Zazz
edit on 31-12-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
dp
edit on 31-12-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Yeshua said, “I AM THE LIVING GOD

Uhm... no

No he didn't... Not once

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Good for you!!

Liberating isn't it?!?!?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
All Jesus ever was or wanted to be was a signpost showing us the way. The way is love. I'm not a Christian, neither was Jesus.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Yours is not the first story I've heard (or experienced) where faith is used as a crutch to rationalize injustice or abuse towards themselves. I've seen it in many church families and abusive marriages.

A person cannot be blamed for doing this. There is a guilt associated with putting your own dignity above another's self-proclaimed righteousness and that guilt is used as a very effective weapon that keeps a person in a perpetual state of Stockholm syndrome.

As you said, it can also be beautiful. It can either nurture a love for others or fuel justification for hatred.

I am happy for you in your new outlook and hope you do not grow jaded towards those who may believe that which you have evolved past. It is tempting but will make you bitter if you give into it too much.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by geezlouise
But in the past my faith served it's purpose, yes it did. It allowed me to endure incredible abuses, it allowed me to love my abusers, it gave me a hope and a peace that in the end... all would be right again... so I just had to sit tight and suffer a little or a lot longer before I died because in the afterlife things would make sense again and be good... but now looking back on it all, isn't that so very jacked up?

Jesus said the Kingdom of Heaven/God is within us, and outside of us…so Yeah, it is kind of messed up, on a grand scale…but at least you’ve sensed that something isn’t quite right, which is a great start…

The problem is that Paul and churchianity took the concept of faith too far, and used it to make people blindly believe in various doctrines, Religion and in many others things, which Jesus never told anyone to put their faith in etc…

Faith was never meant to be used as a crutch to believe in X, Y and Z…which is what Christianity turned it into…

Matthew 13: 31-32
31 He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32 Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.”

Jesus described the Kingdom of Heaven as being like a mustard seed and he also applied the same analogy (mustard seed) to the word “faith”… Jesus was only applying the word “faith” in regards to initially seeking the Kingdom of God and in believing in him, i.e. the truth that Jesus speaks…(the red letters)

There is a parallel being drawn between “faith” and a seed, because seeds (faith) never remain seeds (faith), but grow to be the largest trees in the (Knowledge) garden. What this amounts to, is that people are not meant to remain in their faith…but are gradually meant to go from faith, into a “Knowledge” of the Kingdom of God…

Seeds grow through water and “The Spirit of God” just so happens to have water attributes (John 7:38), and brings with it Knowledge and Wisdom when it is received…

Matthew 13: 11
11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them.

There is nothing wrong in having faith in the beginning though; as long as one is also seeking the truth, and then gradually coming into the knowledge of the kingdom of God. This is the correct way in which Jesus meant the word “faith” to be applied…IMO

S+F

- JC

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Live your life with love and compassion and follow whatever goodness you can, from wherever you may find it. God, a higher power, the creator, or whatever people wish to call it, won't care if you follow a certain religion. Just be the best person that you possibly can be. We are humans and humans are not perfect. We will make mistakes and we will hopefully learn from them. Life is a journey to experience and explore. When our physical bodies die, we go on to something else, something better I believe. Let your light shine and inspire others.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Good for you!!

Liberating isn't it?!?!?

Amen brother.

Liberating is an understatement from my perspective.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I, too, sense the mystery of life in general and I'm not opposed to the idea of a god or a higher power at all.

God is you. There is nobody else here but you. Jesus (ONE) is perfectly fine with you not believing in HIM. HE loves you regardless - and unconditionally. HE wanted me to tell you.
edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
'Enduring the torture of knowing someone is going to hell', This is not very Biblical, Hell is not where humans are residing, it is a place where the rebellious spirits are. When we die we are told our thoughts and memories cease to exist and return to the source. God. We sleep. Only at judgement are we restored.

If you have any interest in the paranormal you will understand that in order to contact spirits you first have to invite them. Just like using a ouija board, you have to invite them. Look at the original vampire stories, they cannot enter your house until the owner invites them in. Also black eyed kids, they say they ask for permission to enter, but never force their way in.

Its the same with the good guys, its about free will, YOU have to ask for them in order for them to enter your lives. That is why a belief in Jesus is so important. Without it, our free will will restrict him from helping us. Its is up to us to ask for it, it is our decision, not his. Thats free will. Accept it or not, it is totally up to you. It is your life and you choose what you believe and what you ask for. That is what it is all about. Its not about saying 'we are better than you'. Its about making our own choice. The issue is that if you believe in something that is not true, you will not find it because it isnt there. That is why the Bible is always speaking about accepting the truth as it is very important. Its about believing the truth rather than something that doesnt exist. Your spirit will look for what you believe, if it aint there, you will be tormented cos you will not find it.

For now though, live life and dont let anyone get in your way. Some people are crazy, dont let them change you. You are better than them and stronger too. We all have our battles in life. Some of us a lot more than others. Dint let them change who you are. What ever you believe, be as honest as you can to yourself. That is the most important thing you could do in life. Let no one change who you are and what you believe. All we can do is live life and come to our own conclusions without ridiculing others for theirs.

Happy new year!!

edit on 31-12-2015 by brancolinoxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Thank you all!

Yes I do feel liberated... yes it's basically an understatement.

I feel like I'm human and it's ok to be human and I'm only getting to live this life once... and so many people try to trample that out of us and cage us with fear but I'll continue to fight to be human, to be ok with it, and to love! It's what always made sense to me. And I think we don't have to wait for ultimate justice, and I think we don't have to continue to bend over and take abuse and that whenever there's the opportunity to get out that we should take it and get out of a bad situation. And I know that having a body is like living in a prison in a way because there's so many rules attached to it but I feel like our bodies and minds were meant to prosper in a great, basically perfect, paradise... so maybe we're here to try to build it and bring paradise and that sounds crazy but if only we would stop denying our own bodies and humanity and stop denying reality in general... then I think it's a real possibility.

I know I might appear to be over-simplifying things and no one's asking to hear what I'm trying to say so I'll just leave it at this:

Thank you guys for the attention.

And I'm interested in your stories, too, btw!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join