It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I went to see star wars today...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: wtbengineer
a reply to: intrptr

My first experience opening night with the first star wars movie was exquisite. I look back now and think its a stupid movie.

I saw the original in the theater with my best friend back in '77 or whenever it was. I always did think it was a dumb movie, hated it that night and wouldn't watch this new one if I could sit home and watch for free. But my friend was just the opposite, thought it was exquisite like you. Funny isn't it?

In 77 I was barely 20 piss and vinegar, ignorant years old. Still locked into the idea of new release movies in the newly upgraded century style mega screen, surround sound, shared experience, theatre.

I liked sic fi and endless universal war and star gazing so I was fully suckered into the experience, and aware it was just a movie, too.

Glad you were so aware then as now.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I'm not saying I was necessarily aware more or less than anyone else, just that I thought it was dumb. I was 18 that summer and turned 19 in the fall. I didn't realize we were that close in age.

I think I was always more into the horror genre. I remember being blown away by Halloween in the theater not too much later. Now that looks a little dumb to me too btw...
edit on 12/31/2015 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: wtbengineer

Best movies were made in the 80's, imo. Still independent directed and risk managed reception by the last freely creative Hollywood. Now its all formula driven and propaganda ridden. Sequelville…

Halloween? The beginning of slasher genre. Prefer Blade Runner and The Keep, for instance.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Agree with you about modern films. I think the original Halloween was different from the slasher movies that followed. While it did have more than it's share of slicing and dicing, there was a feeling of breaking new ground in the story, though the plot was very simplistic, and good acting from JLC. And Michael Myers being gone at the end when the camera shows that shot out the window, well that stuck with me. I know, sounds pretty stupid...

I guess Star Wars was groundbreaking too, even more so really. I just didn't get into it.

Oh and those were good ones that you mention

edit on 12/31/2015 by wtbengineer because: to add

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: wtbengineer

While it did have more than it's share of slicing and dicing, there was a feeling of breaking new ground in the story, though the plot was very simplistic, and good acting from JLC

Yah simple slashing, and good theme music, although it was sorta played off Tubular Bells from The Exorcist.

As far as ground breaking it featured the longest uninterrupted shot in opening scene. The killer stalks and murders the victim, walks outside and is unmasked as but a boy.

Thats what captured audiences. And the ending, too.

I also liked the First Freddy Nightmare, too. Good plot line and effects. Lots of good movies from that decade, Fright Night, Near Dark, Life Force, Critters, Alien(s), Terminator, my list would fill this page…

Star wars, at the time, was cool, too.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I also liked the First Freddy Nightmare, too. Good plot line and effects. Lots of good movies from that decade, Fright Night, Near Dark, Life Force, Critters, Alien(s), Terminator, my list would fill this page…

Yeah, especially Terminator 2. Every time that one comes on I get sucked into it... I don't know why but I like that one better than the first.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: wtbengineer

Yeah, especially Terminator 2. Every time that one comes on I get sucked into it... I don't know why but I like that one better than the first.

Yah, T2 as well as Aliens and empire strikes back. Sequels are rarely better.

But back then…

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join