It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to add a Burka and Koran to our arsenal of survival gear?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tyrion79
a reply to: lakesidepark
So if not implying Muslims or all Muslims here, what exactly is your point, that you so eagerly want to come across with?

Once, again, you seem eager to imply that I was trying to make some kind of point way beyond what I actually spoke! I made my point, and you understood it perfectly.

Now, to go beyond that is for you to try to make a point and infer that it was my statement. I responded to someone that tried to muddy the waters and drag nuns into this topic, seeming to infer that there are armies of terrorists running around making people spout Catholic theology and that we should consider keeping a habit with our burka to defend ourselves.

Or, that we should fear the nuns as much as we fear the Muslims...or that anyone that points out that the current crop of terrorists are exclusively oriented toward Islam is trying to make a wide-net condemnation of every Muslim on Earth...

All of which are simple-minded attacks intended to silence other expressions of opinion and discussion of fact.

So...what was YOUR point may I ask for inferring such accusations?

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

edit on 21-11-2015 by Exitt because: ..

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakesidepark
I responded to someone that tried to muddy the waters and drag nuns into this topic.

You're the only one doing that, with a lot of words saying not much at all. As anyone can see if they follow the conversation.

edit on 21-11-2015 by Paradeox because: Editing.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Hejab as Weapon

youtu.be...

This topic made me cry, it made me want to scream, as this father said here he now has the freedom to voice his opinon, and how Hejab as a weapon to control,

Just like our political correctness.

Look how quickly their society changed.
edit on 21-11-2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Nanna: I was beaten with chains on Christmas Eve
speisa.com...

women dye their hair black in hopes of avoiding rape.

Women in middle eastern countries are stoned, beheaded, and raped, and buried alive for minor transgressions.

Change has got to come.

pray

But there was a time that I thought
Lord this couldn't last for very long
But somehow I thought I was still able to try to carry on
It's been a long, long time coming
But I know, but I know a change is gotta come
Oh yes it will

So tired of standing by myself
You know that I know that a change is gotta come

youtu.be...

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
If a muslim demands you recite the koran scratch his eyes out. Go down fighting.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
Thanks for the links, I now understand where the name Daesh came from.
Although I think it's sad and typical that increasingly Western politicians insist on using "Daesh" now instead of ISIS because it sounds similar to an Arabic word, that's supposed to mock them. (part of psychological warfare, although very childish to me)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

My reply to you was in response to:

originally posted by: Paradeox
a reply to: Unity_99

Would you like to deport nuns too? They dress kinda extreme.

Nuns are not signing up for Daesh, they are not blowing themselves up, lopping heads off, raping young girls, throwing gays over bridges, selling sex slaves, and etc. etc. to infinity.

So why would you even make that comparison?

It sounded to me like you were pointing a finger to Muslims in general compared to (Christian) Nuns.
If this wasn't your intention or I read it wrongly, I apoligise.
I've seen too much bigotry and broad brush painting lately, that I may mistake some for doing that even if they're not.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Tyrion79

Agreed, but it's always about presentation/marketing/social conditioning though, no matter what the political issue is.
Personally I think there is also an element of trying to remove the 'Islam' link from the groups name in English language speaking countries.

For the last few months now, MSM and especially the BBC, have been saying "so called" Islamic State or "so called" ISIS every time they've reported about them. This has been followed usually with a statement somewhere in the story that the terrorist group do noot represent Islam etc.

It appears to me that by using 'Daesh' it reduces the public perception that these killers all come from an Islamic background and helps the public to consider them as just regular terrorists.
Consider the Taliban, AlQueda, and Boko Haram, they have been killing people for years, and we know they are all terrorists who kill in the name of their interpretation of Islam, but their names do not describe themselves as Muslims and presumably reduces the backlash against regular Muslims by bigots in Western nations.

By using the term "Daesh" even though it means the same as ISIS in Arabic, it will help disassociate regular Muslims from the concept of Islamic terrorists.
Probably a good thing, but clearly social conditioning nonetheless.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

My reply to you was in response to:

Nuns are not signing up for Daesh, they are not blowing themselves up, lopping heads off, raping young girls, throwing gays over bridges, selling sex slaves, and etc. etc. to infinity.

So why would you even make that comparison?

It sounded to me like you were pointing a finger to Muslims in general compared to (Christian) Nuns.
If this wasn't your intention or I read it wrongly, I apoligise.
I've seen too much bigotry and broad brush painting lately, that I may mistake some for doing that even if they're not.

You did read it wrongly, and I do accept your apology.

You must be careful when being vigilant, as that sometimes turns into 'vigilante'. We have too much of that on both sides already.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
In light of removing the Islamic connotation from ISIS, I agree, because certain agenda's will seek to profit from this regardless of the terrorist organisation they really are.
The agenda's I'm referring to obviously being right winged ones, that seek every opportunity to polarise population and religion in order to gain advantage of underlying social problems.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I stand corrected and thank you for pointing this out to me.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Very true, and since the rise of ISIS there has been an increase in hate and suspicion of regular Muslims, certainly here in the UK.
"Daesh" takes the Islam connotation from the name so it could help people disassociate Muslims from the terrorist group.

That said, and on-topic in respect of the OP, the fact remains that the biggest terrorist threat against Western nations right now is from people who identify with the Faith of Islam.
Every member of Daesh is from an Islamic background, and all the British people who have gone out to Syria to fight for them have been Muslims, not Christians, Sikhs, or Zoroastrians.

It would appear then that the OP singling out burka's and Quran's as tools for the survival dressing up box is a rational and reasoned decision. There are no Sikh, Hindu, Christian, Jewish, Taoist, or Shinto terrorists currently presenting any threat to Western nations, just people identifying with the Islamic faith.

As a survival idea I think it is neither needed (due to the minimal risk of being killed by terrorists), or practical, due to the idea of carrying around such items when say going for a drink with friends.
But, as a concept, yes, the only major risk of terrorism certainly in my country (UK) is from folk who self identify and come from an Islamic background.
A move to the term "Daesh" will not change that reality.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I think a good defense in this is to always be informed and have a basic understanding of different religions and background.
I agree, that currently the emphasis is on Islamic inspired incidents, however that only started after 9/11, when the U.S. started their War On Terrorism and invading Islamic countries.
I'm not at all scared of Muslims or Islamic terrorism right now here in the Netherlands.
I'm more concerned about riots after a high risk soccer game for instance than I'll ever be for a terrorists attack.
Also, in my observation, authorities abuse this state of fear to justify increasingly oppressive legislation and increased budgets to security and the military.
Emotions aside, always keep a sober look on reality and never give into fear, especially seeing how it's being pushed as a means to change our way of live or our perceiving of our feeling of safety.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Again, agreed.
Fear of attack by Islamic identifying terrorists is the last thing in my mind, it is one of the reasons I think the OP idea of keeping a burka disguise handy in a Western nation is absolutely ridiculous.
I never let emotions dictate my actions or opinions though, just reasoned and rational observation.

With that thought in mind, if I was asked "Do you want a thousand Sikhs moving into your street or a thousand Muslims?" I'd choose the Sikhs every time. No emotional reasoning or fear involved, just acknowledgement that Sikhs have historically integrated well into UK society compared to Muslims, and there is no terrorist threat to the UK currently from Sikhs, whereas there is a credible terrorist threat from people who self identify as Muslims.

I know the more emotional types here will bleat about that observation, but those are the facts and sometimes the truth hurts.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I wouldn't know anything about Sikhs, because they're apparently more present in the U.K. than in Holland. (They are a rarity in my region)
I can tell you about my experience though, when I lived in a district in Rotterdam for six years, statistically being a minority as a white native resident.
It was the best time I've had compared to when I lived in a neighbourhood with mostly native Dutch people.
Either the food, customs or hospitality made me feel more at home there, than I've ever felt among my "own" people.
One time, when asking around at a local pub, I was sitting at the bar conversing with people of 11 different nations and I had the best time of my life.
Point is, I feel very comfortable with people of different religions or background around me.
They don't bite and I wish more people could experience what I have in order to remove prejudice.
Nobody wants war and everybody hates terrorists.
Always keep an open mind and you might be amazed on what you'll find.
To end this with a Muslim greeting: As-salamu alaykum (or Peace Be Upon You)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

Stepping around the seven pages of religious discussion, my direct answer to the OP is that I do carry a shemagh in my "bug home" bag (EDC) that lives in my vehicle. The shemagh has a number of uses, it's just like a large cotton bandanna.

I don't see a need to carry a hijab or similar in my daily travels. The focus on this bag is to carry only what I would need to get home, on foot, in an event that roads are impassible due to weather or civil unrest or other extreme event. If the unrest is caused by extremists of any ideology (be that religious, political or otherwise) I would practice avoidance rather than masquerading.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

No reason to deport nuns in the US since there's @ 1,000 and any terrorist nuns would be easier to identify since not not one has been a known suicide bomber. On the other hand there are @ 1,000,000 Muslim women in the US, and one of the terrorists in France was a woman, so yes they are capable of carrying out terrorism. So, basically, your argument is idiotic.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Again, I agree with much of your post, except this:

To end this with a Muslim greeting: As-salamu alaykum (or Peace Be Upon You)
I will never, ever, use an Arabic phrase to someone living in the UK, ever. We speak English in England, not Arabic, integrate or accept that I will never use your foreign language.

I am from Wales and live in England. When in Wales I speak lots of the Welsh language, together with a mixture of English and what we call 'Wenglish'. When I am in England I speak solely English, maybe sometimes the odd Welsh phrase may come out with my close friends, but that's about it.
It would be entirely arrogant of me to expect, or wish for people in England to start adopting phrases from the Welsh language because I happened to move here. I consider any wish for host nations to adopt any Arabic to accomodate an immigrant Muslim population as equally arrogant.

I will never learn or speak Arabic to an immigrant, it is up to immigrants to learn the host language and adapt accordingly, not the other way around.
Again, no particular nationalistic emotion or otherwise, just reasoned and rational observation of which party should be required to adapt in an immigration situation. Certainly not the host nation.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'm sure it's been said already, but if you need extra toilet paper than go ahead.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join