It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curse Of Oak Island

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
a reply to: Charizard

I totally agree on all your points. There is something there and maybe it's all gone by now but SOMETHING was there.

Really, that island is pretty small why hasn't "metal detector expert" Drayton not combed that island over the years?

Yet I still watch, waiting for that moment. Bloody hell, this thing has had me hooked since I first heard about it 15 years or so ago.

I guarantee that not only has Drayton searched the entire island but probably scores of other metal detecting experts too...

It is my personal opinion that whatever was stashed on Oak Island was probably treasury, goods, or other valuables by the townsfolk of Louisburg prior to the Siege of Louisburg or perhaps later during the Seven Years War. This would also explain the military type structures that were found upon excavation at Smiths Cove. But whatever was stashed on Oak Island was LONG AGO removed, probably prior to the discovery of the Money Pit by McInnis and his friends.

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

Yeah to all that but it's still FUN! I'm anxious (ok, maybe a little overboard there) every week to see what little trinket or rock they find. Even if there's nothing there I'd like to see some answers come from this hullabaloo. Gods knows we've all spent so much time watching this crazy ride and as long as I'm still alive I'm a gonna watch to see what they find.

Even if it's just rocks.

You've gotten me with the history lesson there. I don't know squat about the 7 years war. Gonna have to edumakate meself.

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Agreed... I love history and enjoy that part of the show a lot. I also enjoy the mystery part of the show, even if it didn't have treasure involved. Just finding out WHAT IT WAS and WHAT HAPPENED THERE is enough to keep me watching. But I get really annoyed with the rampant speculation disguised as fact....and a lot of the people they use and claim as "experts" are usually people practicing pseudo-science and/or just providing their opinions with no supporting evidence.

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Like this guy?

I actually like Cort a lot and think he’s smart but just a guy who researched a lot that has theories.

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

Says a guy wearing a "Da Vinci Code" hat....lol. I don't mind theories, honestly. It allows people with open minds to speculate and help identify potential places to search for corroborating evidence to support or discredit a theory. That's how science works.... But often people supply the theories and try to pass them off as factual without any corroborating evidence or with only circumstantial evidence.

On a side note, I want to know about the CURSE. Notice that the show never does any deep dive into the alleged curse? Where did it come from? Where did it enter the Oak Island culture? What is the evidence to support its history in the culture? These questions are never answered....or at least nothing I've ever seen. Personally, I think the curse was created by the searchers themselves and not as an outside "warning" tied to any alleged treasure (except maybe to warn other treasure hunters away).

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Just another thing to mess with our heads, the "CURSE". Sounds like that was made up long after the pit was found. It's all a mess of theories and they will probably end up finding the mummified remains of D.B. Cooper, Amelia Earhart and Jack The Ripper, which of course makes total sense.

I did look up the Seven Years War, what a confusing mess that was. Not sure of the connection, could you go into more detail?

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   

My theory about Oak Island -

1745 - William Pepperell captures Louisburg

And over the years, New Englanders had built up the reputation of Louisbourg far beyond reality, exaggerating its wealth and the strength of its fort.

The fall of Louisbourg seemed almost miraculous, and Pepperrell was celebrated throughout New England. However, as word began to spread that the French planned retaliation, the New Englanders grew fearful that the British would not protect them.

The soldiers who had conquered Louisbourg were somewhat disillusioned with their victory. They had been ordered not to loot the town. For the most part, they didn’t harass the townspeople as they loaded their belongings onto ships bound for France.

When the soldiers did move into the city, they found it far from the seat of elegance they imagined. And making matters worse, the long siege required to take the town had left virtually every house battered with cannon shot and explosions.

The men made the best of the situation. For a while they prospered by leaving the French flag flying over the fort to lure French ships into the port. That way, they could seize them easily as war trophies and sell their valuable cargoes.

Source

This is where Duc D'Anville comes into the picture. The Duc D'Anville was the royal title for Jean-Baptiste Louis Frédéric de La Rochefoucauld de Roye. He has been mentioned in the show. The Duc was given an enormous fleet to take back Louisburg and destroy New England, Boston in particular.

However, the fleet did not arrive together as one force.

The first of Duc d’Anville’s ships to arrive were the L’Aurore and Castor. They had left France one month before d’Anville had received his orders. The commander Du Vignan was a real seaman while d’Anville was not. Both ships arrived intact with all aboard healthy and in fighting spirit. While waiting for d’Anville’s ship to arrive they went on ‘raiding trips’ to pass the time. They sailed out from the Harbour, swooped down on unsuspecting ships, captured them and took them into the Bedford Basin as their prizes.

At least nine ships including a large British Man-O-War became their prizes. The French crew partied on the captured loot that included valuable cargo and scarcities such as wine and cattle. Du Vignan wanted to remain friends with the Mi’Kmaq so he gifted them with wine and cattle from his booty. He also brought aboard the French priest Le Loutre to control them. All summer long, the English crews, who manned the captured ships were being confined in the holds as prisoners. Du Vignan had given up hope that d’Anville’s ships were coming. Supplies were becoming scarce.

In the book,” FOOTPRINTS AROUND AND ABOUT BEDFORD BASIN” by George Mullane, published in 1913 it gives this story:

In the diary of an officer of one of the ships, the officer states the horrible fact that the starving crew of his ship tried to induce the Captain to order the butcher to slaughter the English prisoners on board for food. The Captain put them off for the time being, with the promise that if relief did not come after the morrow, he would allow one of the English prisoners to be slaughtered by the butcher. Happily for the wretched prisoners succour did heave a sight in the shape of a neutral vessel, which supplied them with provisions and the desperate act of cannibalism was averted.

With winter on the way, supplies running low and many men, including the English prisoners to feed he decided to set sail for France on August 12. He had no intentions of depriving his own crew of supplies in order to leave food for the English men so he paid a man named de Repentigay (or it could also be spelled Repentigny) a Lieutenant with the French Army and turned the English over to him. There were 168 English prisoners who followed de Repentigay and 150 MicMac (Mi’kmaq) to begin their 500 mile to Quebec. “NOT ONE ENGLISH PRISONER WAS EVER HEARD FROM AGAIN!”

What ever happened to them?

Source

Perhaps THESE are the bones that were found in the Money Pit? Just a theory....

For anyone curious....the Money pit is identified on this map with the red pin. The Bedford Basin is just off to the northeast...the bay that is between Bedford and Dartmouth tags on the map.

Anyway, Duc D'Anville died a week after arriving in Nova Scotia. Thus, Louisburg was not returned to the French until a treaty was signed in 1748.

However, it was taken again by the British during the French & Indian War (also called the Seven Year War) in 1758.

Source

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Ah, ok, once you mentioned Duc d’Anville I got it. Also a mention of Manowar, the loudest metal band there is. They would be the real life Spinal Tap if there weren't that band whose name I just cannot place. It's right on the tip of my tongue lol. Canadian guys, cool but really stupid.

Thanks, Gypsy.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher

Ah, ok, once you mentioned Duc d’Anville I got it. Also a mention of Manowar, the loudest metal band there is. They would be the real life Spinal Tap if there weren't that band whose name I just cannot place. It's right on the tip of my tongue lol. Canadian guys, cool but really stupid.
Thanks, Gypsy.

Anvil.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Yeah, couldn't get that name out of me at the time though.

That new woodwork found is certainly interesting. What they really need to do is build something that would completely seal off the island from about 500 feet out all the way around, drain everything and see what the hell is out there.

Surely not feasible unless you have the money of a Bezos or whomever but damn, the square area found off the coast, this which may or may not lead out of the island and all the other sites that really need to be bone dry to get to properly. Check that whole coastline but alas, I'm dreaming.

Chinese coin that's really old, that's a funny bit. Wonder who deposited that little trinket.

posted on Dec, 31 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The geo imaging lady is pretty ridiculous... I wish they hadn't gone down that road. The map that it's based on is likely a forgery as well.

I do think it's interesting to see some of the things they've found; treasure or not, people were on the island and doing things prior to the "Money Pit" being found, no doubt about it.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMe74

Well, that charcoal in the "serpent mound" is dated from 1320-1440 but does that mean it was humans who burned something there? Those are some really interesting dates if so. Just how long ago was there activity there is really getting wild with what that discovery could mean.

And, of course, more structures. Can't wait to see what they've uncovered there in the mud.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 11:40 PM
link   
What. They found more 300-year-old coins on old no mystery island...a real boondoggle treasure hunt.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hello everybody I am still watching the show, yes I am addicted to love, I mean the show, ha,ha. can not wait to see the ancient structures in the mud, too.
The entire Island history has been rewritten and I am sure is more to be found. I also hope is gold there too, but now the history alone is as good as gold.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Hey Marg, nice to see ya. You are right, the history is worth more than the treasure. It would be nice to find some treasure but re-writing history is way cooler. What's under the mud, well, looks like we will have to see. Seems to be quite intriguing.

Whole bloody island is a wild greased pig chase. Now we've got this mound that somehow no one seemed to notice.

It's a cluster of epic proportions. But I love it.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Yes, but remember is going to be gold, it was shown on the last episode, like a big nugget, seems like, hopefully is more,

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Yes, but remember is going to be gold, it was shown on the last episode, like a big nugget, seems like, hopefully is more,

I worry about that. History Channel has a, well, history, of editing show snippets in previews to make it look like something amazing happens but then when that something actually comes up in the show, it turns out to be far less exciting and totally different from how the preview portrayed it. I wouldn't be surprised if that giant "gold nugget" is really a beat up old pocket watch, or maybe an actual gold piece that was from a shipwreck and someone is just showing it to Gary, rather than it being something they actually find on Oak Island. But hey, I hope I'm wrong.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Charizard

originally posted by: marg6043

I worry about that. History Channel has a, well, history, of editing show snippets in previews to make it look like something amazing happens but then when that something actually comes up in the show, it turns out to be far less exciting and totally different from how the preview portrayed it. I wouldn't be surprised if that giant "gold nugget" is really a beat up old pocket watch, or maybe an actual gold piece that was from a shipwreck and someone is just showing it to Gary, rather than it being something they actually find on Oak Island. But hey, I hope I'm wrong.

Exactly....

A few seasons back, they showed preview clips of Rick entering a tunnel underground. Those clips were only ever shown in commercials. Nothing was ever shown in the actual show and the footage around them is still a mystery.
edit on 17-1-2021 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Charizard

The History channel is for pure entertainment and profit.

They have a 'history' of editing both ways: to make things look more spectacular than reality, but also they can do it the other way to debunk things that may be uncomfortable to 'uncover'. Just look at how they sent in a guy to debunk their Rockwall, Texas episode....

Still, that doesn't stop me from watching 'The Curse of Oak Island' whenever I am flipping through channels, and find an episode hahahahaha

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
A few seasons back, they showed preview clips of Rick entering a tunnel underground. Those clips were only ever shown in commercials. Nothing was ever shown in the actual show and the footage around them is still a mystery.

My hope would be that they looked at the footage again and determined it was just a whole lot of nothing. The time they sent an actual person down into the chamber in the "C" (?) shaft failed to confirm anything the video might have shown. Very little is ever confirmed (that one Piece of Eight they found), and then it has nothing to do with the actual treasure at all. If there even is a treasure, which has always been questionable. I can't help thinking that a several of the original treasure hunters made up some little tidbits of juicy stuff just to con some investors out of some actual money.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join