It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Ready To Use Military Force If US Violates Its Territorial Waters

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

So are the people going to swim 100 miles out to sea? Or is it their navy/military that will fight our navy? In which case your display of numbers is meaningless.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
China just blinked....

Beijing tries to soothe South China Sea jitters

Beijing (AFP) - Beijing sought to soothe tensions over its South China Sea claims Saturday, saying it will avoid the use of force in the region as the US ponders sending war ships close to territory claimed by the Asian giant.

Speaking at the Xiangshan regional defence forum in Beijing, Fan Changlong, vice-chair of China's Central Military Commission, pledged that the country would "never recklessly resort to the use of force, even on issues bearing on sovereignty."

"We have done our utmost to avoid unexpected conflicts," he added.

Click link for remainder of article..
edit on 17-10-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
China just blinked....

Beijing (AFP) - Beijing sought to soothe tensions over its South China Sea claims Saturday, saying it will avoid the use of force in the region as the US ponders sending war ships close to territory claimed by the Asian giant.

Speaking at the Xiangshan regional defence forum in Beijing, Fan Changlong, vice-chair of China's Central Military Commission, pledged that the country would "never recklessly resort to the use of force, even on issues bearing on sovereignty."

Damn Americans...
edit on 17-10-2015 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

China just blinked....

Exactly. No way they fire at the US, we would destroy them.

US tried diplomacy, they refused. No alternative left.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Your article shows a bias towards the US role as self-appointed world police. Your article says the US concern is the Chinese militarization of the islands. Pot meet Kettle, Here is what the NY Times had to say ok on September 23, 2015.

Although there are significant fisheries and possible large oil and gas reserves in the South China Sea, China’s efforts serve more to fortify its territorial claims than to help it extract natural resources, said Mira Rapp-Hooper, formerly the director of the Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington research group....

Vietnam, Malaysia, the Philippines and Taiwan have all expanded islands in the Spratlys as well, but at nowhere near the same scale as China....

For China, the Fiery Cross Reef is the most strategically significant new island, with an airstrip that is long enough to allow China to land any plane, from fighter jets to large transport aircraft. But China’s airstrip is not the first in the region — every other country that occupies the Spratlys already operates one as well....

China can claim that it is merely expanding its earlier facilities, similar to what other countries have done elsewhere in the region.....
www.nytimes.com...

Next time 2 people try to explain to you that this is a military maneuver by the Chinese and not so much about resources you should listen. Or at least not post a link that agrees with your opposition in the debate.

I am going to agree with this NY Times article, and reiterate the US needs to back down with the Aircraft Carriers until we have exhausted non military options. The US is not the world police.

edit on 17-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

China just blinked....

Damn Americans...

Yes, how dare we support our allies ....

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

As for the issue with China, island building and the South China Sea Chian had no leg to stand on considering UNCLOS.

Artificial islands are not sovereign territory and cannot be claimed as such. An Exclusive Economic zone (EEZ) also does not create sovereign territory. China is attempting to claim all the resources in the area by building artificial islands and then trying to argue the area is sovereign Chinese territory. Since they have no standing under UNCLOS their only option is to militarize the area in hopes they arent challenged.

To counter Chinese claims of sovereignty under UNCLOS freedom of navigation exercises is the way to go - Sea and Air by using military assets.
edit on 17-10-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

China just blinked....

Damn Americans...

Yes, how dare we support our allies ....

I shoulda finished with /sarc

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   

China just blinked....

Exactly. No way they fire at the US, we would destroy them.

US tried diplomacy, they refused. No alternative left.

Yep, no other alternative. Looks like we need to start WW3 over a damm airstrip and China asking the US to keep Aircraft Carriers a little further from their borders.

No other possible answer but to flex muscle and drop bombs. End Sarcasm

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   

It has nothing to do with a buffer zone against US carriers. Your link does not say that. It does say ...

The United States has reported spotting Chinese mobile artillery vehicles in the region, and the islands could allow China to exercise more control over fishing in the region.

It's about them stealing TERRITORY and RESOURCES .. exactly what your source says, and is exactly what I claimed. Next time don't post a source that shows I am right.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

What people aren't understanding, and I'll try to make a simple comparison. Imagine the US saying the ENTIRE ocean between mainland USA and Hawaii was US territorial waters. THAT is what China is doing.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   

It has nothing to do with a buffer zone against US carriers. Your link does not say that. It does say ...

The United States has reported spotting Chinese mobile artillery vehicles in the region, and the islands could allow China to exercise more control over fishing in the region.

It's about them stealing TERRITORY and RESOURCES .. exactly what your source says, and is exactly what I claimed. Next time don't post a source that shows I am right.

The Chinese could steal fish is much different then saying the Chinese are stealing fish. The NY Times is simply listing concerns which is being non biased, something you are having a hard time doing.

The Chinese want the island for military purposes. If they start stealing fish we have a bigger issue. It is a buffer zone since they aren't stealing fish.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
No, it's worse. Imagine if we created an Island right next to China and said everything between the US and 12 miles off the Chinese coast is all US territory. China doesn't even have an island, they made one.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

The Chinese could steal fish is much different then saying the Chinese are stealing fish.

The Chinese want the island for military purposes. If they start stealing fish we have a bigger issue. It is a buffer zone since they aren't stealing fish.

They already are stealing fish. They want the island to assert their claims and take over the entire sea and all it's territory and resources, including fish. It has nothing to do with US carriers, it's them projecting over their neighbors.

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

'twas but a simple comparison people could grasp that I tried

edit on 17-10-2015 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

It's a good one, and so ridiculous if the US tried it .. I just wanted to point out what China is doing is even worse. There was no "Hawaii" .. they created one!

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

It has nothing to do with a buffer zone against US carriers. Your link does not say that.

No the Chinese are saying it, I didn't know I needed a link for that. I thought the warning from China would be common knowledge for anyone debating this subject.

But here is the link since you claim to not know that China warned the US about the proximity of Aircraft Carriers.
mobile.news.com.au...

posted on Oct, 17 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   

There is nothing in your source saying they need these additional territories to act as a buffer zone against US aggression. Nothing. So no, no one but you and the other guy are saying it. Not the Chinese.
edit on 17-10-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

link   

So long as the ships are in international waters / planes in international airspace China can sit down and be quiet.

link   

I understand your point. I have not justified China's actions. I have said I understand their actions. There is a huge difference between understanding someone and justifying them.

What I am saying is that if the Chinese are asking Aircraft Carriers to back down. I think at this time it is best to have the Aircraft Carriers back down.

We have not exhausted all diplomatic options. Don't sanctions cone before war? Or do we really want WW3?

No one wins WW3.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join