It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Syrian air war thread....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
First we have a Russian general that shows up at an embassy demanding the cessation of U.S. airstrikes in Syria which lead to a heated exchange...cough, cough, and also the blocking of Russian flights through Greece?? (What's up with that one?)

The political battle looks to be setting up a military one in Syria.

Allowing that Russia has sold 4 S-300 batteries to Assad and the arrival of Soviet platforms-and any SAMs they brought with them-the tactical situation is ripe for an 'accident'.

One would think with Russian attacks against "Syrian rebels" and U.S. attacks against "Isis" that the first thing the U.S. (and Russia) would do is begin/increase surveillance flights to 'co-ordinate activity and avoid each others 'packages' from engaging each other. Yet, those flights are ripe for SAM painting, if not an 'accidental' engagement.

Should the U.S. increase it's F-22 numbers? Perhaps a few F-35s? How about some growlers to counter any SAM threats.

That seems to make sense, militarily yet politically, should the U.S. keep the Raptors out of Syrian air-space altogether?

Granted, the Russians haven't sent top-line platforms....yet. My suspicions, not to mention Putin's track record, suggest this is but a first step.

One would hope the U.S. has kept track of all the new SAM sites in Syria and have them GPS'ed and are prepared to counter them. but one never knows....

As I am but a fan, can those of you expand on the options available to these resource and risk/reward aspect to these moves. This has the potential to get way out of hand....

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker
Looking at a precarious situation over there.
This is the way that wars begin... big wars.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

A pissing contest has already started. LOL.

If they think there's a refugee problem now, just wait and see what happens if the U.S. and Russia use Syria as the venue to tangle....

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Add this report from Reuters this morning.

Assad allies, including Iranians, prepare ground attack in Syria: sources

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Hundreds of Iranian troops have arrived in Syria in the last 10 days and will soon join government forces and their Lebanese Hezbollah allies in a major ground offensive backed by Russian air strikes, two Lebanese sources told Reuters.

"The (Russian) air strikes will in the near future be accompanied by ground advances by the Syrian army and its allies," said one of the sources familiar with political and military developments in the conflict.

"It is possible that the coming land operations will be focused in the Idlib and Hama countryside," the source added.

REUTERS

I wonder how the US would react if this report turns out to be accurate?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

How the U.S. reacts? Or how Obama reacts..

There is a window here. Putin-and China- has recognized it as 'move now', there will be a new President shortly.

Everything between Syria and Iran, backed by Russian technology, will be squeezed in a vice. Without strong U.S. support, there is little chance those nations will resist the pressure of that 'vice'.

edit on 1-10-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

How the U.S. reacts? Or how Obama reacts..

There is a window here. Putin-and China- has recognized it as 'move now', there will be a new President shortly.

Everything between Syria and Iran, backed by Russian technology, will be squeezed in a vice. Without strong U.S. support, there is little chance those nations will resist the pressure of that 'vice'.

They already know how Obama will react, he will do nothing. Other than a strongly worded protest.

I agree with your assessment, it is the perfect time to squeeze the vice. Unfortunately.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Yeah, big events ahead Us unfortunately. Look who arrived to Syria last days, China, Russia and Iran. Things going to excalate very fast I think.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: residentofearth

Until these guys entered the picture, I was basically of the view that the U.S. should let those guys slug it out on their own. That we should stay out of it....

Now?

I don't see how we can afford to stay out of it. An empire/coalition of China, Russia and the ME?

Europe and the U.S. would be done.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

i think people need to calm down here. I don't think much will change for the US. We will still supply the anti Assad rebels with arms as long as they are around to receive them. The US will watch Russian air traffic like a hawk and vector our assets away as best they can. We will still run recon. to spot anti air assets that are in the country. We will still hit ISIS in Syria, even if Russia doesn't.
We may or may not keep the F-22's out of that area. Russia has undoubtedly brought some of their newer radars in region to see how well they are able to see US stealth.
We will still have Iraq's back if they want it. If Assad keeps power, thing will go back to the way it was before the civil war. No-body is touching Israel and Iran hasn't changed.
edit on 1-10-2015 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

They already know how Obama will react, he will do nothing.

And that is exactly what Obama should do. Nothing. We need to get out of the region and let them do what they want to do.

What we are witnessing is the blowback from all of our meddling and messing in the affairs of the ME nations. People are sick and tired of it and that is why Russia and Iran are standing up to fix the problems that we created.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

You trust that no one would like to take advantage of this situation? That there isn't those that would love to Russia and the U.S. tangle? Perhaps China? Or Isis themselves? Other Islamists that would view a Russian-American fracas with orgasmic delight?

I don't feel I'm not calm. I think it's a fairly analytical assessment regarding the potential of the situation.

Having said that, I surely hope your right. History says otherwise. I would be prepared for a less ideal scenario, just in case...

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
What we are witnessing is the blowback from all of our meddling and messing in the affairs of the ME nations. People are sick and tired of it and that is why Russia and Iran are standing up to fix the problems that we created.

What we are witnessing is the blowback from all of the old Soviet Union's meddling and messing in the affairs of the ME nations. Fixed it for you.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

What we are witnessing is the blowback from all of the old Soviet Union's meddling and messing in the affairs of the ME nations. Fixed it for you.

It wasn't Russia that overthrew an elected government in Iran in the 50's. It wasn't Russia that backed, funded and pushed radical Islam starting in the 80's. It wasn't Russia that sponsored Al Queda and then blamed them for terrorism after the US went in to Iraq, took out Hussein and threw the region in to chaos. And it's not Russia that is responsible for ISIS and the arms they use in combat.

Russia is stepping in because someone has to stop what is happening and we cannot do it because we created it.

I know that's inconvenient for those that dislike Russia, but it's the truth.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

On the contrary, history doesn't say otherwise. At every time that the US and Russia/Soviet Union came to the brink of war with each other, calmer heads prevailed. Putin has too much to loose to get into a shooting match with the US and the US just wants ISIS gone so doesn't have too much invested there and would just as soon leave it to the international coalition to deal with.
Russian goals are to keep their puppet regime intact as it's on the verge of collapse.
Our goal is to keep ISIS from growing.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

Could you provide a link....

I don't recall Russia invading Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, or supporting Zionist invasion of Palestine.

fixed it for you

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Putin is doing what should have been done the day the world heard about ISIS and what Obama should have already done.

Make an alliance with Assad to beat ISIS

But Obama couldn’t do that (could he) because he was secretly supporting the very ISIS and its affiliates in Syria in order to topple Assad!

So Obama and the Gulf state rats set up this phony “coalition” against ISIS with pin prick bombing missions.

Now Putin has thrown a monkey wrench into the West’s’ surreptitious and sinister plot.

The West now doesn’t know whether to sh__ or go blind with Putin’s act…

Actually the Western countries, who have been all in on the plot through NATO have been horrified at the immigration crisis and actually welcome Putin’s leadership unlike Obama who either couldn’t do anything because of the above premise or is just a weak leader

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Hard to argue...

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The USA and EU if anything are the Empire. Russia is in Syria because they are allied to Syria. The USA is not and was told by Russia to leave Syria. Also I thought the Chinese moving to Syria was proven false? Or has there been new "intelligence"?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499
Um no..it's the West's meddling in the Middle East. Ok the USSR invaded Afghanistan, but guess who funded the then future extremists? The West.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Calmer heads prevailed? I see it as Russia/The Soviet Union backed down.

When Russia isn't matched with an equal intensity they prevail. Ask the Eastern Europeans what happens when Russia isn't checked.

Failure to match, leads to Georgia, Crimea and to a lesser degree the Ukraine. That's the history I refer to.

When has Russia ever backed out when not confronted?? Failure to match Russia in Syria will result similarly....at least in all likelihood.

The very fact of Putin making this move in light of their economic situation smacks of desperation on Putin's part. Desperation can lead to desperate acts.

Again, I hope your right, my friend. I'd watch this one like a hawk...wouldn't you?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join