It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada - is he eligble for the Presidency?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
While the Republicans have often said that Obama was born in Kenya and thus not eligible for the Presidency, a fact that was proven incorrect by Obama releasing both the long and short forms of his birth certificate (which stated he was born in Honolulu, Hawaii), they don't make a peep when Ted Cruz, who was born in Canada, runs for the Presidency.

Cruz — full name: Rafael Edward Cruz — was born in Calgary, Canada, in 1970. His family was living there because his father was working for the oil industry at the time. They moved when he was four. Cruz grew up in Texas and graduated from high school there, later attending Princeton University and Harvard Law School.

In 2013, the first-term senator — already considered a prospective presidential candidate — released his birth certificate, which shows his mother was born in Delaware and his father was born in Cuba. (A situation similar to Obama, whose mother was born in Kansas and father was African.)

So are we going to see the Republicans flip-flop and defend the position that someone doesn't have to be born in the U.S. in order to become President?

Here is what the legal folks have to say about it.

Two provisions are obvious: The candidate must be 35 years of age and a resident of the United States for 14 years. The third qualification: He or she must be a "natural born citizen."

What does it mean to be a "natural born citizen"?

Most legal experts contend it means someone is a citizen from birth and doesn’t have to go through a naturalization process to become a citizen.

If that’s the definition, then Cruz is a natural born citizen by being born to an American mother and having her citizenship at birth.

Obama was born to an American mother, so why the hypocrisy, Republicans?

Link

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I see another Birther debate rolling in. Personally it is a non issue with me. I couldn't care less where the next candidate is from really. My concern lies in the capability of the person, not where he or she was born. Most of these candidates where born in the USA, and most of them are complete idiots. I'd take anyone else available that was competent over most of what we are seeing right now...

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I would be willing to make Ted Cruz ineligible if you make Obama ineligible.

That trade would be more than fair and good for the country.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: scattergun
I see another Birther debate rolling in. Personally it is a non issue with me. I couldn't care less where the next candidate is from really. My concern lies in the capability of the person, not where he or she was born. Most of these candidates where born in the USA, and most of them are complete idiots. I'd take anyone else available that was competent over most of what we are seeing right now...

Except that Cruz and Obama are also idiots so really your point is moot. Also, there are many places where people want to destroy the US and while Canada may not like us many Kenyans would like to see the US destroyed. It would probably be best to avoid people from regions that hate us.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Maybe President Trump will finally reveal the findings of that intensive search he did on Obama's background?

I asked myself the same question before Cruz entered the race. Asked it of others and just received a mumble about how it's okay NOW.
Sometimes situations arise where clarity needs to be added to that document known as the US Constitution and added in writing to it. This is probably the time for this issue.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by:

If that’s the definition, then Cruz is a natural born citizen by being born to an American mother and having her citizenship at birth.

Lol. In the country your born, even the rule of being born on a plane, it's where the country of origin for the manufacturing of the individual plane, you keep your ethnicity but citizenship is not the same as it would be. Good luck fighting otherwise. In reference the case of Schwarzenegger, Obama barely passed because of US soil birth paperwork which to be honest is still sketchy I'm sure it will come out after he's out he wasn't legallly president.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: scattergun

Except that Cruz and Obama are also idiots so really your point is moot. Also, there are many places where people want to destroy the US and while Canada may not like us many Kenyans would like to see the US destroyed. It would probably be best to avoid people from regions that hate us.

Typical response of trying to deflect the point being stated. Anyhow if you want to go down that route, I'll play ball. Obama's father was born in Kenya, whereas Ted Cruz's father was born in Cuba. If I recall correctly, America has had much greater diplomatic issues with Cuba than Kenya. What do you have to say to that? Or does your partisan bias extend so far that you are willing to dismiss this as well?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

If it was no big deal to democrats in regard to Obama, why should it be a big deal to democrats in regard to Cruz?

Why the hypocrisy, democrats?

Oh. Wait. Because democrats are no better than republicans and republicans are no better than democrats. Despite much wailing and gnashing of teeth to the contrary.

Get off your horse.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I guess that we should not overly be wrapped up in who hates us, currently we argue about who is qualified to run this country. It isn't a popularity contest anymore. We need a good executive administrator badly. I'm saying I really don't care where that person is from!

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The difference comes in with the actual physical location of their birth places.
Obama, even though many question it, was born in Hawaii which was at the time a state; whereas Cruz was born in Canada which is not a pat of the United states.
This is the whole alligtion about Obama being born in Nigeria and not on American soil.
So those who "want to deny" Obama's ligitamacy based on inuendo will have to deny Cruz's ligitamacy based on fact.
edit on 18-9-2015 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Many in the legal field have addressed this issue and said that their opinion is that he is a natural-born citizen. It shouldn't have been an issue with Obama, I hope it's not an issue with Cruz.

Considering that he is in no position to even remotely become the president, I wouldn't worry about it.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I read the legal background on this and I am of the opinion that Ted Cruz is eligible to run for President and so was Obama.

But there are some people who think that Obama was not born in the U.S. and therefore couldn't have run for President, and those people are going to have to explain how come Ted Cruz, who WAS born in Canada, can.
edit on 18amFri, 18 Sep 2015 10:36:30 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Here's a new idea! Why don't we elect a person that has the agenda we need in this country. In the global realm of things it just doesn't matter where you were born. Look past the crazy, and get to the qualifications and the issues of the matter. What would happen if a complete Orphan was running?

Why spend all your efforts in vetting a persons Birth location? Just look at that persons agenda and decide if he's worth your support or not. This is a no brainer here folks.... We have already been through all this BS, time to move on like adults.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Ask any Birther, and they'll tell you that the Republicans were just as invested in protecting Obama's natural born issues as the Democrats, who were actually the first to bring it up (Hillary). Remember PUMA? And I've seen many Republicans/conservatives question not just Cruz's eligibility under the NBC clause, but Jindal as well... maybe another one too (Rubio? Santorum?) but I don't remember which.

It's a moot point now. The precedent has been set. "Natural Born Citizen" was defined neither in the Constitution nor by the Supreme Court, so it has never been established if NBC status can be claimed by "jus sanguinis" (by blood) and/or "jus solis" (by soil).

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

a fact that was proven incorrect by Obama releasing both the long and short forms of his birth certificate

appiezment of supporters with fake docs. is not proof of anything

imo no teddy is no different than the racist in chief except that teddy tells the truth

so no he should not be eligible imo but I also believe I am wrong about that and he is eligible

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
With obAma, the issues for them was first, he is black. Second his name sounds a bit middle eastern.

That's all the fuss was about.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
If it was no big deal to democrats in regard to Obama, why should it be a big deal to democrats in regard to Cruz?

It isn't and it shouldn't be. Both are eligible and the Dems know that.

It's the birther hypocrisy that is on display, and being questioned, here.

For one thing, Obama was born in the USA and Cruz wasn't. Every birther on here should be starting threads about Cruz AND Jindal's (an anchor baby) birth certificates, checking the layers, and every pixel. I'm absolutely certain there are the same kind of "flaws" in theirs as there were in Obama's.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

appiezment of supporters with fake docs. is not proof of anything

Are we really going to go back to this nonsense? The documents were legit. Obama is a citizen and that's that.

imo no teddy is no different than the racist in chief except that teddy tells the truth

Did you watch the debate? He's a greasy used car salesman that decided to run for president.

so no he should not be eligible imo but I also believe I am wrong about that and he is eligible

What? That makes no sense whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
All in all, the location of Ted's Birth is a non issue really as he won't be elected. There I said it, and feel free to send him an Email and tell him I said it here first...

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Yes we are gonna hear a bit of the ole birther argument in this thread. For many here may remember certain former members that now banned but at the time proved the docs were fake.

Yes I watched the debate but I feel that we have been drugged so far down a dirty dark path that even a used car salesman would bring good things to the office.

in my opinion he and Obama both should not be eligible for office but my views seem to differ with the interpretation others have made of the laws so he likely is eligible for office.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join