It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 7, 64-bit not installing Windows Updates. [UPDATE: Win 10 is back!!!!?!?]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Win 7, 64-bit
on laptop and desktop

I have updates set to install manually.
The September updates are waiting to download/install.

Since they have been there, wuauserv at times after the computer wakes up runs at about 50% of CPU usage. For maybe 40 minutes. [info from Resource Monitor]
We pulled that process to stand alone so we know which svchost file it belongs to.

[FWIW, I stopped the process manually for now.]

So, we go to install today.
Progress stops at 0%.
We try to do one update....same thing....nothing happens.
We try to d/l from the internet, the same single update....no dice.

Haven't tried to install from Safe Mode yet.

Any ideas why this would crop up all of a sudden?
Last month went smoothy.

We have also NOT reserved Win10....so that should not be part of the issue.
edit on Sat Sep 12 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

update: I installed one update successfully on the desktop earlier this morning.
Just now, I tried to complete the installations....and found the same issue as on the laptop.
An online search shows this may not be an isolated issue with Windows Updates.
edit on Sun Sep 13 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Sep 18 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Look for a app called tweaking windows repair. DL and install then repair windows update.

Here is the linkfor it.
edit on 9/12/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: proob4

Thanks for the link.

But, before I go tweaking anything, don't you find it more than a little odd that two separate computers developed the same issue within days of each other.
Seems like a M$ issue, rather than an issue specific to my computer[s]???

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Thanks for the link.

But, before I go tweaking anything, don't you find it more than a little odd that two separate computers developed the same issue within days of each other.
Not really. Maybe if there was a questionable website that had malicious ware on it and you used both PC's to access it?

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Thanks for the link.

Virus or maleware?

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

both computers run malwarbytes pro...one uses MSE and the other Avast
Neither share anything....and we don't go to iffy websites, especially my husband. LOL
Also have WInPatrol installed on both.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Dont you know that updates are meant to ruin your windows experience and make you decide to upgrade.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
IMO its waaay too usual to have this problem or similar one with windows update.
So I wouldnt really consider it weird to have the same problem on 2 PCs (although you never know)

I dont think I ever had a windows 7 install that wouldnt have this exact same problem at some point or any other similar problem, like getting stuck at some other percentage...or that it will take huge ammount of time to update while it just stays 0%, like whole night or even a day.

Dont have such problems on windows 8.1 though.

I would definitely recommend getting some windows update fixer software like somebody mentioned here, or find another one if that one doesnt work. Iam pretty sure there is some even officially from microsoft.
Or windows update cleaner.

Or just simply google "windows update stuck at 0%" and spend a bit of time searching and reading. You will find numerous ways. I can guarantee you its fixable, and I would put malware or similar at very low probability of the cause.
edit on 12/9/2015 by Neoony because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
This is an ongoing problem since the rollout of Windows 10. Win 7 updates have been moved to low priority, so Windows 10 updates are served first. This isn't new. MS has done it before, just not to this extent previously.

Don't try to fix your computer. There's likely nothing wrong with it. You aren't alone. Have had several calls from clients.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
This is an ongoing problem since the rollout of Windows 10. Win 7 updates have been moved to low priority, so Windows 10 updates are served first. This isn't new. MS has done it before, just not to this extent previously.

Don't try to fix your computer. There's likely nothing wrong with it. You aren't alone. Have had several calls from clients.

hmmm, I had exact same problems even before win 10 or 8

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Neoony

originally posted by: Klassified

hmmm, I had exact same problems even before win 10 or 8

Yep. There are instances where virus/malware can cause it, as well as corrupted system files. But in the recent, the issue has had more to do with MS. I have had several fresh installs of Win 7 do the very same thing. One sat for more than 24 hours "checking for updates". I monitored incoming and outgoing bytes, and after 24 hours, the updates started coming through. Gotta love MS. /sarcasm.
edit on 9/12/2015 by Klassified because: oops

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
I think you are correct.

I think anything but 10 is a low priority....and saw some comment about not enough resources being given to updating.

What clinches that for me is the one update going fast and seamlessly this morning....now nothing.
And...wuauserv getting stuck is just the biggest PITA of the whole thing.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I had that problem recently and I wish I could remember what I did to fix it, but things are fine now.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Bill must have his hands pretty full with all that Agenda 21, eugenics, and 'Common Core' stuff going on...

My guess would be that the PC security of the 'useless eaters' isn't real high up on that list of things to do.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Or, I could wait a week and try again.....

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
Bill must have his hands pretty full with all that Agenda 21, eugenics, and 'Common Core' stuff going on...

My guess would be that the PC security of the 'useless eaters' isn't real high up on that list of things to do.

Bill Gates hasnt worked for microsoft for many years now.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Have recently had that prob but called IT to fix. Also on 2 separate computers.

Good luck.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

So, it was fixed!

Any idea what had to be done?

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I will ask and advise, if you still need the info, on Monday.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Thank you very much.
I doubt I'll crack this mystery before then, that's for sure.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join