It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armoured Medieval Fighting - HMB!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Hey guys, been a long time!

Over the last few years I've been into Medieval stuff, and slowly developed my own gear and so on. Over the weekend,
my brother in law and I decided to film a sport we take part in, HMB. Some may have heard of it, some may have not.

It means Historical Medieval Battle, it's quite popular in central and eastern Europe. It is a full contact, steel on steel
armoured combat sport, with Medieval armour and historical weapons.

Here's two videos we put together earlier this week of us dueling, hope you enjoy them.

My brother in law is in the black armour, it was made for me so it's a bit too big for him - he's got some
armour coming in the post

Knights at night! Sword and shield duel.

Sword and shield VS War pick and shield.

Thanks!
edit on 28/8/2015 by Sierra312 because: Typo

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Sorry but I don't think that was "brutal"

Brutality involves taking your shield and smashing your opponent with it as well as charging your opponent whilst knocking them to the ground and then spearing him/her through the neck or soft areas of armour into the flesh. Kicks and elbowing also involved in the skirmishes.

These fight scenes look more of a Monte Python fight...minus the missing limbs and jokes

edit on 28-8-2015 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Sierra312

Are they connected to the Society of Creative Anachronism?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

No, most if not all of the SCA groups around us are in it for reenactment entertainment. Planned "fights" with minimal impact.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I can appreciate the idea of practicing old technique.
It looks like fun. Watch your fingers.
A couple of good dogs and a shotgun would be a lot more effective.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Sierra312

My issue with these sports, is that they are not sports. Swords are not competition weapons. They have one purpose, and one purpose alone. The defence of the self, ones loved ones, and ones community. They are supposed to be used when blood must run in the streets, when hell comes a knocking on your door. The art of the blade is not in technique, it does not score you points. Its purpose is to maim and kill the enemies of liberty when they seek to take it from you. That is all.

A true swordsman does not spar, because he seeks at all times to take a head, to ram the point of his steel between the ribs of his enemies, to take legs and arms from their sockets, to bludgeon his opponent to ruin beneath its weight, to crush the face of his enemy with his shield. Every blow should be designed to kill, he should never stop moving, be always seeking the life of his foe. You cannot practice that. It is something which resides within, and is only ever truly utilised when death walks not far behind.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I disagree, you can pratice, and in HEMA it is shown time and time again that a large, strong yet inexperienced man throwing his full weight and trying hard to smash a trained opponents defences ends up feeling foolish after the first clash, practice is needed to know what attack is likely to be used from different stances.
This is why there exhists hundreds of period books on swordsmanship from rapier up to bastard and 2 handed swords. Later on, in European society young men carried swords for duelling as a fashion item, but those who did so and did not train ended up dead or maimed, spawning many many schools on duelling.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

With respect, I know whereof I speak.

I did not learn of the arts martial by way of dojo training, nor the art of close quarters melee battle under a tutor. I learned them by experience exclusively, and for all the technique and footwork a person can learn in a lifetime, there is no replacement for being educated by way of being dead if you fail.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I wasn't insinuating you diddnt know, Brit
But to say sword are not competition weapons is to ignore all the sword based competiton!

Kinda like a rifles main use is to take life, but there are many sports that grew from it. No disrespect taken or meant

But it is shown that someone who practices is more likely to win, excepting of course those like me who forget all learning and training in a kerfuffle and just try kick the balls and run. Training stress management may even be as equally viable as technique.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Surprised he didn't kill this fella.

Not so sure about attempting full combat after seeing this lol.

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

See above video for brutal.

new topics

top topics

join