It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stopped by a cop? Act like an ass. After all, it's your "right".

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+65 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I keep seeing this type of attitude displayed. "I have the right to act anyway I want!!"
And amazingly enough, when you act like an ass to a cop, .......he becomes a dick. Just....like.....magic.

Forget all about how many bad cop stories you read today.
Forget all about how mean that last cop you dealt with was.
Forget all about how irritating it is to be stopped and have your precious time wasted.

Imagine for one second, you are that cop. (just pretend for the sake of discussion) If the person you stopped was nice, polite, and non threatening, would it make things easier? Would it make you relax just a bit? Would you prefer to deal with nice people, or assholes?

Now, Imagine again that you are that cop, but this time, the guy you stopped has a major attitude, and tries to tell you all about how he pays your salary and has the right not to answer your questions. Would you be nice to this guy? Give him a break? Enjoy his company? Not feel threatened?

The world is filled with choices. And (incredibly enough) those choices have repercussions. You are free to chose how you want to approach any situation, and you are free to act like an ass. But remember, that cop is just as human as you, and has the same freedom of choice in how he deals with you.

Treat humans like humans, respect others to get respect, and be nice whenever possible. It really does work.

+47 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Um, by law, you know, the one you swore to uphold, he doesn't have to answer any questions ever period, you know, the 5th amendment, the right to remain silent.

Don't like it, don't have the mentality to handle this, don't be a cop.

Just do your job the right way, no probably at all.

+38 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Human rights supersede a cops feelings and always will...

People won't kowtow to Muslims who demand others not to draw Muhammad, why should we appease a cops feelings just because they might get violent.

+24 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Human rights supersede a cops feelings and always will...

People won't kowtow to Muslims who demand others not to draw Muhammad, why should we appease a cops feelings just because they might get violent.

Gotta agree, it is the first amendment, you get to express yourself freely, even at the expense of others feelings and beliefs.

+25 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Watch this video and tell me how again how it's the civilian's fault and how being a little more courteous would have prevented the cop from threatening to put a hole in his head?

+23 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

You act as if police are on a peer level with citizens. They clearly are not.

Neither police nor citizens are required to be nice. Only citizens are required to abide by this countries arcane and stiffing laws.

Authoritarians are a cancer on a free society. Mercenaries are herpes.

+53 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I keep seeing this type of attitude displayed. "I'm a cop. I can get away with doing anything I want!!"
And amazingly enough, when you act like an threatening, dangerous ass to a citizen, .......he becomes a dick. Just....like.....magic.

Forget all about how many bad drug dealer stories you read today.
Forget all about how mean that last lawyer you dealt with was.
Forget all about how irritating it is to have to do paperwork and do your job correctly.

Imagine for one second, you are that citizen. (just pretend for the sake of discussion) If you didn't make the immediate assumption that the guy was armed, or a criminal, or a drug dealer, and you were polite, and non threatening, would it make things easier? Would it make them relax just a bit? Maybe not feel threatened into recording you? Would you prefer to deal with nice people, or do you really LIKE having some steroidal blowhard in a costume shrieking at you?

Now, Imagine again that you are that citizen, but this time, the cop that stopped you has a major attitude, and tries to tell you all about how he is going to beat your ass, erase your recording, and plant evidence on you. Would you be nice to this guy? Give him a break? Enjoy his company? Not feel threatened?

The world is filled with choices. And (incredibly enough) those choices have repercussions. You are free to chose how you want to approach any situation, and you are free to act like an ass. But remember, that citizen is just as human as you, and has the same freedom of choice in how he deals with you. And really, there's an awful lot of them, and they all have votes. And the more of you that act like dicks...well, eventually, the government will start making things a bit harder for you and your buddies. Hell, New Mexico just took all the toy money away. Who knows where THAT might stop?

Treat humans like humans, respect others to get respect, and be nice whenever possible. It really does work.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

You act as if police are on a peer level with citizens. They clearly are not.

Neither police nor citizens are required to be nice. Only citizens are required to abide by this countries arcane and stiffing laws.

Authoritarians are a cancer on a free society. Mercenaries are herpes.

Rants like the ops always remind me of the chicken #er episode of South Park.

"respect my authoritie!!!" as they club you without mercy.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I'd rather be alive than right.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
I keep seeing this type of attitude displayed. "I'm a cop. I can get away with doing anything I want!!"
And amazingly enough, when you act like an threatening, dangerous ass to a citizen, .......he becomes a dick. Just....like.....magic.

Forget all about how many bad drug dealer stories you read today.
Forget all about how mean that last lawyer you dealt with was.
Forget all about how irritating it is to have to do paperwork and do your job correctly.

Imagine for one second, you are that citizen. (just pretend for the sake of discussion) If you didn't make the immediate assumption that the guy was armed, or a criminal, or a drug dealer, and you were polite, and non threatening, would it make things easier? Would it make them relax just a bit? Maybe not feel threatened into recording you? Would you prefer to deal with nice people, or do you really LIKE having some steroidal blowhard in a costume shrieking at you?

Now, Imagine again that you are that citizen, but this time, the cop that stopped you has a major attitude, and tries to tell you all about how he is going to beat your ass, erase your recording, and plant evidence on you. Would you be nice to this guy? Give him a break? Enjoy his company? Not feel threatened?

The world is filled with choices. And (incredibly enough) those choices have repercussions. You are free to chose how you want to approach any situation, and you are free to act like an ass. But remember, that citizen is just as human as you, and has the same freedom of choice in how he deals with you. And really, there's an awful lot of them, and they all have votes. And the more of you that act like dicks...well, eventually, the government will start making things a bit harder for you and your buddies. Hell, New Mexico just took all the toy money away. Who knows where THAT might stop?

Just stop, using logic and making sound decisions.....

That can't possibly lead to a better world.

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Resisting Arrest doesn't merit a death sentence.

+17 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
These replies are about what I expected. Show a video of a cop who acted poorly, and think, somehow that makes it true that ALL cops are this way, so treat them as such.

You don't have to believe me on this. Hell, I am just some random dude on the internet. But out there, in real life, if you get the opportunity to try this tiny little experiment, give it a shot. In the spirit of science. Just try to be nice and respectful once. See if that changes the tone of your encounter any at all.

Again, if you try to put yourself in the position of a cop, it does help to understand just a little.

OR....naw, this would be way to hard. never mind. ( I was thinking how some keyboard warriors could step up, become cops, and root out the bad ones, and become the true law enforcement professionals we all need, but then I remembered how tiny the keyboard warriors gonads really are, my mistake)

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

I'd rather be dead than lose my freedom.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
be rude at a restaurant...and hope they don't drop or spit in your food.
be rude to the dry cleaner...gosh, your suit isn't done yet.
be rude to anyone in authority, or anyone in a service position, and be prepared to pay the price. it may be wrong but it's human nature.
'Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.'

your cleaner or waiter doesn't want an argument. when police have problem interactions they sometimes get attacked or killed.
www.odmp.org...

so the next time a peace officer approaches you with an attitude (and hand on gun) remember he doesn't know what situation he's walking into. Use whatever brain you have and cooperate. remember, without John Law (or Jane Law) we'd be like the third world / Mogadishu

"• Civil unrest and political tension can prompt demonstrations that may quickly turn violent. (People) are advised to avoid protests, rallies and demonstrations.
• There is no effective police force in Somalia; lawlessness, violent crime, clan violence, banditry and looting are common."
no thanks.

(link: www.smartraveller.gov.au... )

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Terrifically put.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

It sure does go both ways. So is the answer to poke the bear with a sharp stick and see how many pokes it takes to get him good and pissed?

Bad cops exist, but so do good cops. Some people are just assholes. Nothing you can do to change them.
And some people are polite and nice unless provoked.

Should we just all assume ALL cops are bad? Seems like a relatively stupid way to go about life.

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

originally posted by: Bone75

I'd rather be dead than lose my freedom.

Wait, so treating a cop with respect takes away your freedom? Come on Chuck, I though you has some noodles in that mellon.

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Cops see people at their worst, be that ill, drunk, scared, annoyed, or what have you. And as professionals should be trained to handle and de-escalate, not escalate situations. No excuses.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

Um, by law, you know, the one you swore to uphold, he doesn't have to answer any questions ever period, you know, the 5th amendment, the right to remain silent.

Don't like it, don't have the mentality to handle this, don't be a cop.

Just do your job the right way, no probably at all.

Quoted because he's correct. Police are given a job - uphold the law, and with that job also comes a degree of power over the everyday citizen. You saying that police can't handle the pressure of the job's requirements, and in here trying to manipulate people into giving up their rights, so your job's requirements are easier. If you can't do the job assigned to you, then find a different career.

+25 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This honestly hurts my soul. We've reached a point where we are forced to perceive the police as dangerous thugs who we need to cower to just to avoid being summarily and arbitrarily beaten or executed in the street?

I'm not the brightest guy in town, but to me that is pretty much the definition of a tyranny.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join