It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OSU researchers discover the unicorn – seaweed that tastes like bacon!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Here we have it folks, something magical, foretold by mystics long ago and sought by courageous men and women across the globe for thousands of millennia.

Oregon State University researchers have patented a new strain of a succulent red marine algae called dulse that grows extraordinarily quickly, is packed full of protein and has an unusual trait when it is cooked.

This seaweed tastes like bacon.

We have a winner!

Dulse (Palmaria sp.) grows in the wild along the Pacific and Atlantic coastlines. It is harvested and usually sold for up to $90 a pound in dried form as a cooking ingredient or nutritional supplement. But researcher Chris Langdon and colleagues at OSU’s Hatfield Marine Science Center have created and patented a new strain of dulse – one he has been growing for the past 15 years.

This strain, which looks like translucent red lettuce, is an excellent source of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants – and it contains up to 16 percent protein in dry weight, Langdon said.

Link

I'm excited. Something that tastes like bacon but it infinitely more healthful? That grows very quickly, is easily sustainable, and...TASTES LIKE BACON? Yes, please.

There are no commercial operations that grow dulse for human consumption in the United States, according to Langdon, who said it has been used as a food in northern Europe for centuries. The dulse sold in U.S. health food and nutrition stores is harvested, and is a different strain from the OSU-patented variety.

“In Europe, they add the powder to smoothies, or add flakes onto food,” Langdon said. “There hasn’t been a lot of interest in using it in a fresh form. But this stuff is pretty amazing. When you fry it, which I have done, it tastes like bacon, not seaweed. And it’s a pretty strong bacon flavor.”

The vegan market alone could comprise a niche.

Let's get on this!

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence
Oh man.. I hope it really does taste like bacon because my doctor just told me I can't eat bacon anymore and I swear I wanted to cry.

I will be happy to try some..

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I saw this yesterday but decided not to post in case a certain bacon loving moderator took it badly and smote me with the ban hammer.

I am sure the bacon crew will be along shortly to attack both you and your heretical foodstuff.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Lol very soon there would be two factions: the Bacon lovers and the Dulse lovers.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
If it tastes like bacon, it better be bacon. The taste of the Fat cells themselves is caused by our need for certain chemistry of the fat cells, possibly the elastin fiber protein which could be created by an algae I suppose.

But why not just eat bacon in moderation. Fat needs salt to metabolize properly but some glucose chemistries cause the kidneys to retain Sodium. Good fresh side pork fried is actually better than bacon. Adding a little salt causes the lipids to leave the cells and it shrivels like bacon. Salt and pepper to taste. If you have bacon that will not give up it's fat, just sprinkle a little salt on it and it starts to excrete the fats and turns nice and crispy. You can also get this elastin binding protein from deep fried pork rinds or pork chitins or from natural casing hot dogs.

I know a lot about preparing foods that were said to be bad for us. Now after real testing has actually been done, they are said to be good for us in moderation. The original information was just assumptions. Sometimes those assumptions are relevant to some people though.

If you overcook scrambled eggs, the water will seperate from the chemistry and they get wet like. This does not effect the nutrition, just the taste and texture. But remember, sometimes our taste and texture recognition is actually important, sensing things that are in the right form for our metabolism's ability to digest foods. So what is good for the goose is not always good for the gander even though it is often the case. Don't overcook eggs.
edit on 19-7-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

So,

Is it GMO?

How can they patent it if not?
edit on 19-7-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

But why not just eat bacon in moderation.

How dare you say such a blasphemous thing?

Seriously, eat bacon in moderation, but indulge in this glorious food. Best of both worlds.

As far as bacon, I prefer it when it's not completely crispy, but has some crisp with a nice juicy chew. As far as eggs, yeah, don't overcook eggs (and most people overcook hard boiled eggs). Well, don't overcook *anything* for that matter...

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

If it tastes like bacon, it better be bacon. The taste of the Fat cells themselves is caused by our need for certain chemistry of the fat cells, possibly the elastin fiber protein which could be created by an algae I suppose.

But why not just eat bacon in moderation. Fat needs salt to metabolize properly but some glucose chemistries cause the kidneys to retain Sodium. Good fresh side pork fried is actually better than bacon. Adding a little salt causes the lipids to leave the cells and it shrivels like bacon. Salt and pepper to taste. If you have bacon that will not give up it's fat, just sprinkle a little salt on it and it starts to excrete the fats and turns nice and crispy. You can also get this elastin binding protein from deep fried pork rinds or pork chitins or from natural casing hot dogs.

I know a lot about preparing foods that were said to be bad for us. Now after real testing has actually been done, they are said to be good for us in moderation. The original information was just assumptions. Sometimes those assumptions are relevant to some people though.

If you overcook scrambled eggs, the water will seperate from the chemistry and they get wet like. This does not effect the nutrition, just the taste and texture. But remember, sometimes our taste and texture recognition is actually important, sensing things that are in the right form for our metabolism's ability to digest foods. So what is good for the goose is not always good for the gander even though it is often the case. Don't overcook eggs.

A little of topic here but as to eggs going watery do not season until after cooking, the salt breaks down an enzyme in the albumen

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Technically, yes, I suppose.

But it appears that it's not transgenic but cisgenic and subgenic.

I'm still looking into it, though.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I knew that but forgot to mention it. Thanks for adding that. I usually mix a little salt in the egg when I egg wash bread before cooking, it breaks down the white and yolk and they mix smoother.

I guess we are getting off topic, but I doubt if bacon's relationship to eggs can be disputed.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Agreed, I suppose that if you were to shred and deep fry the seaweed it would taste incredible sprinkled over poached eggs on toast.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

But why not just eat bacon in moderation.

How dare you say such a blasphemous thing?

Seriously, eat bacon in moderation, but indulge in this glorious food. Best of both worlds.

As far as bacon, I prefer it when it's not completely crispy, but has some crisp with a nice juicy chew. As far as eggs, yeah, don't overcook eggs (and most people overcook hard boiled eggs). Well, don't overcook *anything* for that matter...

Moderation allows you to eat a pound of it once every week. It allows you to pig out occasionally. It doesn't allow you to eat it every day.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Now maybe if they used this bacon seaweed to make sushi I might eat sushi.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

A pound a week, but I don't think you're supposed to eat it all in one day

Bacon and moderation in the same sentence....that's just crazy talk

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

this could be really good! we will see , how long until it is on the market??

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Tofu tastes like turkey too.

I will try seaweed fake bacon when a dyed in the wool bacon eater tells me that it is the equal of bacon.

I will not hold my breath waiting for that day.

Bacon is the Chuck Norris of foods.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I keep going back to the cost - $90/lb.

It could taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know because I could never afford to eat it.

And then, of course, there is the old saw that everything tastes like chicken ... except that it actually doesn't.

edit on 19-7-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Right, wild harvested dulse costs $90/lb, but the idea is large-scale cultivation of this strain for commercial purposes, which, what with its very quick rate of growth, would likely considerably reduce the cost.

As far as how similarly it resembles bacon in flavor, well, that does indeed remain to be...tasted.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I'd def like to at least try it, I'm always paranoid of having a heart attack. This would solve my unhealthy diet.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This is going to be false.

I don't know how many times I have been told by vegetarians (and their militant wing the vegans) that something tastes just like a real burger or chicken or whatever. Clearly after time passes and not eating the real thing people forget how something actually tastes. I have had to spit out more than a few vegetarian 'alternatives' and food substitutes. I would rather just eat what I like in moderation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join