It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grok

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   
So.

No BS.

Explain the word, as you know it.

Those who don't know it, do not look it up. Go read the book, Stranger in a Strange land by Heinlein. No cheating, as you cannot get the meaning from Wiki or some such.

Do you Grok? Do I?

Explain what it means to Grok.

Could you kiss a girl, and ONLY think about that kiss? That kiss is the ONLY thing in the world?

All these years, and I'm still trying to understand how the human psyche works.

I could not kiss a girl and only think and concentrate on that kiss. Sorry, I would have to think about other things.

Heinlein was onto something there.

I still, do not understand the concept of grokking. I try.

I fail, most times.

Empathy, on a most empathetic level.

I'm not searching for Utopia. Just a better world. Slightly better.

Forgive me if my thoughts are a bit of a rant. Or a rave(not the new wave drug addled kind of rave, this ain't no Electric Daisy Carnival).

There is something to my addled rant. I know it. I just can't put it all into words.

I Grok some ideas. I don't necessarily, Grok, humanity.

Yeah, there's some problem there. I sure as hell don't Grok ..........

After reading this, I'm not sure if I Grok myself. Pretty sure I haven't, ever, Grokked myself.

If you halfway understand my ramblings, then three and a half(eh, maybe more) gold stars. I usually do small paragraphs. I failed this time.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

it's not a word...

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Grok
verb ˈgräk

Definition of GROK
transitive verb
: to understand profoundly and intuitively

Merriam-Webster
edit on 14-7-2015 by ShadowLink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

Thanks for that. I don't think I could have handled that as diplomatically as you did.

I do know, that at this time and place, I ain't exactly on my best game. I don't think, he he, THINK, I'm totally off on this one.

I may be and even if I am, I may not know.

That kills me even more than being right, and I realize it's not always about winning the argument.

edit on 7/14/2015 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Well I would of sided with Akragon in that it's not a word had I not looked it up first.
Or I would of assumed it was some stupid new word made up by the misguided ignorant youth we have today. You know the ones.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

My understanding of the word derives from Ingo Swann. I understand it to mean "comprehend", essentially.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I believe to Grok something means "You Own It" God Grok's everything, therefore we can Grok all things as well!

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   

It means to understand something completely.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

It's from Stranger in a Strange Land. At least that is where I learned of it. It was a word created by Heinlein which never caught on.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

It means to understand something completely.

I misquoted myself, but it means, almost, the same thing. To understand on a empathic level. Completely sounds so clinical.

I still don't really know what I was trying to get at. I know one thing. I still don't know what to say about what I tried to say, but one this IS for certain: The more I learn, the less I understand.

top topics

join