It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why a Large Group of People (Astronomers) Rarely Report UFO sightings.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Well, they are UFO's until someone classifies them as otherwise.

That happens all the time in UFO research. In some of the examples I gave in the OP, it's easy for some of us to see that it's a scintillating star, plane, or balloons. But others still claim it's "aliens" and won't have it any other way no matter how much evidence is given to the contrary.

There are so many gullible people that will believe anything. Even hoaxes. That's why some of these YouTube channels continue to create hoaxes and then profit off of others' gullibility, while giving the false impression that we're being visited all day every day.'

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Until I see one, even though I want to, there are no flying saucers with little green aliens. I went my 28 years thinking I saw one as a kid until because of my job in the military I saw a video of what it actually was, a satellite losing its orbit and burning up in the atmosphere.

Then a few years ago I bought a rather high end telescope. Eventually I got to learn about the planets and their orbits and finally caught Venus without the moon in the sky and low and behold it looked just like photos I had seen on one of those History Channel UFO programs represented as a flying saucer.

God did not intend for us to interact with species from other galaxy's. They are probably there but so freaking far away it is impossible to make the trip. Millions of light years is a hell of a long way. Don't tell me about black holes because even the smartest minds on the planet don't fully understand them. To say we could travel through them to another place in the Universe light years away is Science Fiction. I seriously doubt a human being could survive that trip if it is even possible.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The other? What other? Do you think you've seen an alien craft? You haven't.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
We already know from bluebook that 95% of sightings are explainable, so what about the 5%? Are astronomers trained to identify the 5 percenters, or would it go down just like every single ufo thread on ats where every sighting has a prosaic explanation pulled out of their ass?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I reported once to mufon and when they called me two years later I didn't have much to tell. I saw a dot in the sky that wasn't normal. So I think they threw my sighting out

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

They use binoculars and telescopes.

It's very difficult to identify night objects with unaided optics. I have been constantly using standard binoculars for 3 years and all that is visible are dots (orange, blue, white) more or less. If you'd like to experience an aspect of our cosmic family, just open your heart and ask to experience their presence. Last night I sat on my deck, looked to the clear night sky and asked "Brothers, where are you? Exactly where I was looking at that exact moment a brilliant light blinked, one time. This is the third time this has happened to me so far. Sometimes you get lucky. Don't judge before you learn for yourself.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Astronomers aren't 'looking for UFOs'. The catalogue of celestial objects is vast enough and the field of view narrow enough that only if an object swam through the lens would they get a small glimpse of it, let alone what it was. I spent a lot of time focusing through an eyepiece and only on one occasion did I see a satellite transit the moon. It was awesome.

Otherwise…

The vast majority of UFO sightings are due to misinterpreted objects…

I'm a witness of one, believe me, when you see them you will know its not earth tech. They do too many things that violate the accepted laws of physics, regardless if experienced observer or not.

I generally agree with intrptr's view on his post...same goes for Aliensun's last post on this thread.

I am also a witness to a nighttime Foo Fighter sighting in 1976, approx. 40 miles west of Washington D.C. ---- that involved my observation of a magnet-field shielded, bluish-white fusion plasma shrouded craft as big as a passenger Jumbo jet airliner --- going an approx. 15,000 mph.

My second sighting of the alleged starship happened 1 minute later...with the magnet-field shielded, reddish-orange fusion plasma sphere shrouded object --- approx. 700 in diameter --- making a slow [30 mph] perpendicular descent to Earth about 1 mile away from my location.

edit on 12-7-2015 by Erno86 because: added a few words

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Stop and think about where most of their money and fancy equipment comes from, it is not the from the general public but through some official org or another than has some connections to government. That is a world-wide situation. As i mentioned, the "Condon Committii" was just one level of proof of how things really work.

If you were to read accounts of astronomers back in say, the later 1800s, you will find earnest and honest reports of what they saw without their being brow beaten into consensus submission by their colleagues. Today, governments for the most part control the entire situation in topics such as this. You want funding, a grant or a prestigious place to work you better not like UFOs, and for heaven's sake don't ask for funding or a grant to really get to the bottom of the phenomena.

As I've said before the lack of there never being a legitimate, through and public study of UFOs is because of the hand of government. And that is tantamount to proof of the whole situation. It is as simple as that.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

Perfect example, an astronomer would have instantly labeled that an iridium flare. To you it was something more profound, maybe even spiritual. These occurences are meant to be personal, for you and nobody else.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

Not likely that you will see a UFO flitting around earthly skies with a small telescope given their narrow field of view.
Actually, most UFOs that qualify as a genuine UFO (maybe ours or maybe ET) are seen with the naked eye, and regular cameras down at low levels such as tree tops, landing in fields, following planes, etc. Get the picture?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

Why a Large Group of People (Astronomers) Rarely or Never Report UFO sightings.

But astronomers do "report UFO sightings", so it is a pretty trivial task to prove the "never" in the title of this thread is certainly incorrect.

"Rarely" is also incorrect, as can be seen by either :
(1) looking at the number of reports of sightings by astronomers or
(2) looking at the statistics on the percentage of astronomers that have had sightings.
edit on 12-7-2015 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: IsaacKoi

You're obviously correct.

I'm thinking of Sturrock's Survey on the Membership of the American Astronomical Society (pt.1 pdf) for starters. We could also add some of the reports listed by Charles Fort and sourced from the papers of societies for astronomy. Clyde Tombaugh is another well known astronomer who reported seeing UFOs.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The skepticism from the science community and leanred people in general stems from the widespread misidentification of conventional and unconventional phenomena. This forum has covered many of the unconventional--though natural--phenomena. This is excellent example:
www.abovetopsecret.com - Mysterious Lights In The Sky Over Greenwood, Indiana...

Sun dogs and earth lights have to be mentioned. There're other stranger things. There's strange lightning too. Even the sounds which were reported the past several years are weather-related. I actually was lucky to hear the sound I think in 2011. Lasted for several minutes. Just a low rumble, like a truck idling. The science facts behind it are technical. If I remember, it has something to do with propogation and distance.

And people misidentify what you rightly bring up--iridium flares--and other things. It's easy to misidentify because most observors aren't familiar with everything in the night sky and it's hard already. It's one thing to see something new in daylight but not exactly the same when it's dark.

But I still think just because 95% or more of sightings are misidentifications doesn't rule out ET's. It's a bit silly to turn to the ET explanation before turnng others, though. However, given the Fermi's Paradox, I think it's not irrelevant. I think most experts rely on the fact distances in space are so vast no civilization could easily reach us. Because the standard is set so high most civilizations--the thinking goes--never survive to meet us.

But it's appropriate to ask have any professional astronomers seen UFOs or reported them and been unable to explain it? We know there're pilots of all character who's reported UFO sightings. And peopel from all walks of life. I'd expect some eyewitnesses to be astronomers.

It's importan to remember also even trained experts can misidentify.
edit on 12-7-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Just wondering: is there an easy explanation yet for the "foo fighters" pilots (used to?) see?

ie: vertigo or something?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: IsaacKoi
But astronomers do "report UFO sightings", so it is a pretty trivial task to prove the "never" in the title of this thread is certainly incorrect.

You're correct. Bad choice of words. I removed the "never" from the thread title.

originally posted by: IsaacKoi
"Rarely" is also incorrect, as can be seen by either :
(1) looking at the number of reports of sightings by astronomers or
(2) looking at the statistics on the percentage of astronomers that have had sightings.

I'd say it's still correct since the percentage is quite low. There are plenty more sources out there besides the two I've listed in the OP.

originally posted by: Kandinsky
I'm thinking of Sturrock's Survey on the Membership of the American Astronomical Society (pt.1 pdf) for starters.

Where only 5% of respondents (62 out of 1356) saw something they could not explain. That's a very low percentage.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Today, astronomers, like airline and military pilots, are not going to jeopardize their jobs, if not careers, by reporting UFO sightings. That is the reason and for no other.

Which is exactly why pilot UFO sightings are held to such high regard, especially fighter pilots. Flying those tactical aircraft is just the best job there is and no one would jeopardize that privilege over a lie considering all a fighter pilot has to go through to be one.

I know you knew this already but others may not.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

To say that people will know what a ufo is when they see one is easily disprovable scientifically and is demonstrated time and time again on YouTube etc.

I disagree. People who aren't sure what the are seeing make YouTubes, we were once that ignorant, too. My point again is if you see a real one, you will know.

There's no mistaking these. Unless you haven't seen one that is.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: icewater
God did not intend for us to interact with species from other galaxy's.

I don't ever recall reading that in the bible. Would you mind sharing the verse(s) that depict what you describe?

Jesus himself said that his kingdom is not of this world, but from some other place. Meaning another world or dimension.

They are probably there but so freaking far away it is impossible to make the trip.

Impossible for us to imaging with out current level of technology and understanding of physics. There are alien races up there that far exceed our intelligence and knowledge.

Earth's solar system is very young compared to other parts of the universe.

Don't tell me about black holes because even the smartest minds on the planet don't fully understand them.

The smartest minds here on earth, but what about the smartest minds on another world that has thrived for thousands or millions of years before us?

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

Outstanding, thanks for sharing that. Incidentally, the sighting on the west coast that friends, strangers and I witnessed was on or about the same year or two. Its fuzzy when exactly, there were so many night excursions with friends to remote mountain tops.

Double incidentally, the initial color of the thingy we saw was neon blue and later changed to red orange as its aspect to us changed.

It wasn't as 'big' as your claim, it wasn't fifteen thousand miles an hour fast, but it was faster than any man made object, totally silent and changed directions abruptly, with no radius of turn, disappearing into the only cloud in the valley that night.

Something non witnesses will ever understand, until you have seen one you aren't sure, and once you have, there is no doubt.

--- making a slow [30 mph] perpendicular descent to Earth about 1 mile away from my location.

Just a wondering, have any 'missing time' with your experience? I don't know if you were rural or urban, with others or alone…

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
a reply to: intrptr

The other? What other? Do you think you've seen an alien craft? You haven't.

All you can speak to is your own experience. Speaking for others without having been there or seen some evidence is less than ignorant.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join