It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Senator Charles Schumer: Make Swatting Federal Crime

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
(post by Domo1 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: mikegrouchy

That's true, they are already crimes...
As are slander and endangerment...

So I'm wondering is it a case of easing up the court process and conviction attempt...

What's more tax payer friendly, as well as beneficial for the prosecutor...
4 charges, or 1 charge?

As for militarised police, I can't really say...
But I also wouldn't use SWAT teams as an example of an all round attempt at militarising law enforcement either.

The way I remember it was some lone nut in the Austin University Bell Tower sniped a bunch of people, and it was _after_ that when police departments started forming swat teams.

And back then people complained "some day these swat teams will be coming in our homes."

Well here we are.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 29-6-2015 by mikegrouchy because: quote

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
You couldn't have fit all that into one or two posts? You crapped the bed, the bed being your thread.

Thank you Domo,
I love you too.

Mike Grouchy

This is for you.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Anything that originates from internet trolls is done "for the lulz"...

Sadly, some of those are deficient in the grey matter department and have a degenerative thought process in the quest for lulz.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Couldn't this extend to anyone at anytime? Just saying "something bad is going to happen" doesn't mean they have to bust through someone's glass door.I guess "probable cause" is playing nicely into "if you see something say something".

They are basically using as many people watching the stream as potential witnesses and if anyone says some crisis is about to take place, they are inclined to investigate.

edit on 29-6-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Haha no problem zazza, I've been gaming for years, and I only found out about this late last year.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Wow, grow a pair man.

The explanation of what swatting is, is hardly gonna get you in trouble for explaining it. 2 posters have now done it...

Lame dude..

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Wow, I thought the "climb the watch tower with a rifle" was an old wives tale.

Crazy.

As for how long SWAT has been around, when I said "forever", I was being quite hyperbolic.
I was just trying to differentiate between SWAT teams, and local law enforcement beat patrols becoming ever more militaristic.
edit on 29-6-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

Wow, grow a pair man.

The explanation of what swatting is, is hardly gonna get you in trouble for explaining it. 2 posters have now done it...

Lame dude..

Ummm, no they haven't.
Broad brush explanations are like C4 explosive, but without the detonator.

The key to swatting someone is not in this thread, and I'll mod alert any comment that explains how to "set the detonator". To continue with the analogy.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 29-6-2015 by mikegrouchy because: grammar

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I was just trying to differentiate between SWAT teams, and local law enforcement beat patrols becoming ever more militaristic.

Now this is where our views align!

Yes, the militarization of the SWAT _has_ crept into the every day police forces.

To the Senator it seems that the public are nails and the legislation authorizing federal action the hammer.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Hypothetically, yes...

But it's also a damned if you do or don't scenario.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Yup time to find a way to trace these people who make these calls and make some serious examples of these horrible people.

SERIOUS SCUM

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
If Schumer gets his legislation to pass: will people be framed for swatting?

Will SWAT teams be able to mitigate any lawsuits rising from their conduct, by getting the person who made the call charged with the new federal crime.

Does anyone else see that this proposed ''legislation'' will create more problems, and not solve any existing ones?

Mike Grouchy
edit on 29-6-2015 by mikegrouchy because: spelling

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Ah, Phantoml0rd, I remember when he got swatted. I watch Twitch streams all the time and hackers love to mess with gamers by either shutting down gaming networks or Swatting them. They do it for the Lulz and out of jealously because these online gamers can make a ridiculously amount of money and all they do is play video games while entertaining their audience. God help any would be hacker that ever Swat's my favorite steamer, Trick2G.

I support any laws passed against this dangerous prank. Innocent people are put into harms way and resources are wasted that could otherwise be used to protect and serve (although SWAT teams have little love on ATS). Sadly Swatting is on the rise so I'm glad to hear streamers are taking matters into their own hands and educating their local police departments.
edit on 29-6-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

With the sort of retarded kids we have here compared to the states, I'm glad they haven't attempted swatting yet and only resort to "your mum" cusses over the mic and at school. Even if they tried calling 999 to CO19 someone, I doubt they'd get away with it.
edit on 29-6-2015 by Boeing777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Yup time to find a way to trace these people who make these calls and make some serious examples of these horrible people.

SERIOUS SCUM

They already are making examples of them.
No new legislation required.

Some 4.20 streamers have been swept up as well.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 29-6-2015 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

a reply to: eisegesis

Hypothetically, yes...

But it's also a damned if you do or don't scenario.

Twitch originally had a password to log into people's streams. They removed it with the promise of adding it back in the future and I haven't checked to see if the feature is back. Could they have been persuaded to go public in order to be monitored? Any data is good data, whether it lead to arrests or ad revenue.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
Sadly Swatting is on the rise so I'm glad to hear streamers are taking matters into their own hands and educating their local police departments.

All the police have to do, is call the house before they swat the place.

That is what Boggie9288 means by getting on the list of known streamers.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boeing777
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

With the sort of retarded kids we have here compared to the states, I'm glad they haven't attempted swatting yet and only resort to "your mum" cusses over the mic and at school. Even if they tried calling 999 to CO19 someone, I doubt they'd get away with it.

edit on 29-6-2015 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I know, that's why I'm glad the streamers are educating the police.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join