It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nikki Haley To Call For Confederate Flag To Be Removed From South Carolina Capitol: Reports

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

A funner fact...

Look at all the Blue voting areas !!!!

2012 South Carolina Presidential Results

They should put the Flag issue to referendum.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Right?

The broken logic amazes me day in and day out.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: beezzer
Now the racists have a flag that they can rally around.

As if they haven't been rallying around it since it's inception... At least it won't have the official backing of the state.

Of course they did before.

But now that symbol will have that much more impact.

BillyBob Sixpack might have one on the back of his pick up truck. In the past, people wouldn't think one thing about it.

Now as they drive down the road, they'll see it as a symbol of racism and senseless murder.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

It is a great way to stir up more race issues.........

Before if people saw it, if they didnt understand it and it was on someones car they would just scoff........

But now.......those that refuse to do away with it because they STILL dont see it as a symbol of racism, are more likely to be accused of stirring up tension......

NOW when someone is seen with it its more likely to turn into violence........

Bravo puppet masters, bravo

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Will it? The voice of equality is winning out on this issue rather than the voice of white supremacists. I'd think they would be feeling a little flaccid today.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Maybe, maybe not. I won't feel any differently when I see it, except to be thankful that the state is no longer flying it. But people have the right to display it.

BillyBob Sixpack might have one on the back of his pick up truck. In the past, people wouldn't think one thing about it.

Maybe you can speak for how other people will think, but I would have the same opinion as before.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: alphastrike101
I really do not understand why they would want to fly a flag of losers.

The Confederates got their a$$ kicked and bad.
They had an outdated ideology then.

You must have skipped history class or something. Because if you'd actually studied that war, you would know that for the first two years the South actually had the U.S. on the run.... they had them scared sh*tless for a while. The CSA generals were pretty much superior in every way. The only thing the North had was industry, but their leadership was tactically incompetent for the most part.
edit on 22-6-2015 by Drest because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasoul

For a moment take slavery out of the equation

No.
Racism, nationalism and slavery is fundamentally linked to that flag and people need to stop trying to gloss over it because it's inconvenient or uncomfortable.

I know some seem to have an unhealthy attachment to that piece of cloth (I personally cannot understand people putting so much emphasis on a symbol like that) but whether people want to accept it or not it is a symbol of hate.

It belongs in a museum.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Will it? The voice of equality is winning out on this issue rather than the voice of white supremacists. I'd think they would be feeling a little flaccid today.

Regardless of the decisions made on this flag, people already knew what it symbolizes and what many people think of it.
People can preface it with "know your history", or "I don't care if it offends you", but that doesn't change the meaning it has for others and they will be treated differently because of it.

Before, someone could display it and maybe make two people out of ten would want to avoid associating with them. Now, that's going to go up to eight out of ten. Businesses who might have wanted to associate themselves with that before will now be more likely to want to take it down. Companies who made branded clothing with it before will probably now see a decline in sales. Individuals who displayed it in their homes or on their property before without much of a problem will now be wondering what their neighbours think of them just that little bit more.

I think that's the right way to go. No state should be endorsing anything that could be deemed as a symbol of hate, and individuals need to male such decisions for themselves. I think public opinion is speaking and it's saying that this is now unacceptable.

People can display it all they like, but they shouldn't then be surprised or complain when family, friends, employers or customers of their business stop coming around.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Muahahaha! Good good good...

I've been railing against that flag since I was young. I always found it hypocritical that people would tell African Americans to "get over" slavery because it happened so long ago. But it was ok for them to remember the Confederacy, even though it was from the same time period! In fact, the CSA only existed for 4 years (1861-1865) while our North American enslavement existed from the times of Christopher Columbus (late 1400s to early 1500s). Yet we're the ones who are supposed to get over it & forget? Screw that. If you can remember, so can we. And if we would should get over it, so should you.

Unfortunately, I don't think this will stick. There are simply too many people there who want it to be displayed like it is. Haley probably just sealed her political career, even if they never actually remove it. However, if they do remove it, I'll finally lift my personal boycott of South Carolina. It's one of the few southeastern states that I haven't visited yet.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

I always found it hypocritical that people would tell African Americans to "get over" slavery because it happened so long ago. But it was ok for them to remember the Confederacy, even though it was from the same time period! In fact, the CSA only existed for 4 years (1861-1865) while our North American enslavement existed from the times of Christopher Columbus (late 1400s to early 1500s). Yet we're the ones who are supposed to get over it & forget? Screw that. If you can remember, so can we. And if we would should get over it, so should you.

LoLz! That's such a fantastic rhetorical argument.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Maybe you could make a new flag that means standing up to tyranny... one that has nothing to do with white supremacy or slavery.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

As usual, the Internet already has given us the answer.

It might not be the flag we need, but it's the flag we deserve.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
So when the next mass murder happens, what "cause" will they focus on then?

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Like this?

Oh, but wait a minute... this flag was used by the TEA Party and the TEA Party was also called "racist" and "terrorist" by assholes who have a total lack of perspective and rational thought...
www.newhavenindependent.org...

Thanks for the ideas, but please don't concern yourself with me. I'll continue to take the same stance as I have for my entire adult life and flat out refuse to care who takes offense over what, and keep on keeping on. The Gadsden and the Rebel flags will continue to hold their place in my heart, on my back, and on my bumper stickers.
edit on 22-6-2015 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Well, Baltimore, Ferguson, Oakland, Toledo, Cincinnati, Fontana... all deep South cities with strong Southern heritage connections. Oh, wait, actually none of those cities fall into that category. My bad.

Considering the places the media advocates changing the most are also the places with the least modern strife, it makes you wonder.

From my experience, blacks and whites in the south get along a lot better than they do in other parts of the country. There's just a lot more respect and amiability in general.

It's funny, all these sheltered upper-middle class white people who like to play the armchair activist, are usually the ones who hide their kids when they see a black man, or move to a different neighborhood once a black family moves in next door. These people have always been hypocrites. Claiming that they fought the Civil War to free slaves, while they allowed child labor to go on in the factories up north.

Funny how there is no violence in SC right now, despite all the predictions.
edit on 22-6-2015 by Drest because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Same old lies and bull crap from the left. LIE and call a flag racist when in reality, they want it gone because it speaks against what they want...the end of STATES RIGHTS because they want the federal government to rule over everyone like a group of kings. Liberal politicians want nothing more than to govern everyone and ignore the states. It is a lot easier to control when you don't have to go through the states. Especially the ones who aren't left leaning.

Keep the flag...at ALL costs.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Drest

Be careful, friend, tools of the machine don't appreciate having their hypocrisy laid bare for all to see. Your observations, for what it's worth, parallel my own.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Maybe you could make a new flag that means standing up to tyranny... one that has nothing to do with white supremacy or slavery.

Here ya go...

I love the ignoratti who poo poo all over the stars and bars for their own edification. May the imperial federal government eat you and your offspring.

That being said, this is a more appropriate flag...

The Battle Flag is long overdue for relegation to the dustbin of history. May it die a swift and painless death, for the good of our country.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

I always found it hypocritical that people would tell African Americans to "get over" slavery because it happened so long ago. But it was ok for them to remember the Confederacy, even though it was from the same time period! In fact, the CSA only existed for 4 years (1861-1865) while our North American enslavement existed from the times of Christopher Columbus (late 1400s to early 1500s). Yet we're the ones who are supposed to get over it & forget? Screw that. If you can remember, so can we. And if we would should get over it, so should you.

LoLz! That's such a fantastic rhetorical argument.

Thanks you

Ironically, I don't mind people flying any type of flag on their own property. But it crosses a line when it's on public land.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join