It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nikki Haley To Call For Confederate Flag To Be Removed From South Carolina Capitol: Reports

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) will call for the Confederate flag to be removed from the state capitol, multiple outlets reported Monday.

Haley is set to speak at a press conference at 4 p.m. ET Monday. According to CNN and AP, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) will join the governor and call for the flag to be placed in a museum.

Graham previously said the flag "is part of who we are," but that he would be "fine" with taking the symbol down.

Nikki Haley To Call For Confederate Flag To Be Removed From South Carolina Capitol: Reports

Looks like South Carolina is starting to relent to pressure on the flag. Both the governor and Senator Linsey Graham are now calling for the removal of the flag from the capitol building. Good move I say. A state government shouldn't be promoting a flag that at the very least represents a time of massive division in the country and at the most is a symbol of racism.

I have no problem with individual or private entities flying the flag (that is their prerogative), but it shouldn't be on any government buildings. It's almost like an "eff you" to the federal government by flying it.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
For a moment take slavery out of the equation, for in fact only a small percentage of wealthy Northerners and Southerners actually promoted and/or profited from this unjust institution.

" The Rothschilds and the U.S. Civil War "
source: rense.com...

" The Civil War was America's Bloodiest Conflict "
source: goo.gl...

The following essay represents a perspective that many people in the world today who are struggling against tyranny can respect about the Confederate Battle Flag and the Americans who died defending it.

" The Confederate Battle Flag Continues to be a Symbol of Regional Pride "
source: www.freerepublic.com...

IS THE Confederate battle flag a symbol of hate? Although there are certain connotations that have been improperly associated with the Confederate flag, there are still many people within the American population who display it to show pride in their heritage.

Heritage, not hate.

The Confederate States of America was a compilation of southern states that seceded from the United States of America. Following the formation of this new government, the grievances between the North and South produced hostility and warfare.

Our differences divided us as a nation. Yet during that period, there arose a certain Southern solidarity that people cannot forget.

edit on Mon Jun 22 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed very long quotes IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I have no problem with individual or private entities flying the flag (that is their prerogative), but it shouldn't be on any government buildings. It's almost like an "eff you" to the federal government by flying it.

I agree.
For those that want to fly it, fly away.
But there is no denying what that flag stood for during a dark time of your past, so lets get it off government buildings.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: seasoul

Slavery/racism is only one small problem with the flag. The flag also represents a time when the Southern states refused to compromise with the Northern states and decided to settle their differences with bullets instead of words. It marks a time of great division and represents a war that to this day remains the bloodiest conflict in American history. There is no good reason a state building should be flying that flag.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I guess all of you should start complaining about the state flag of Mississippi then.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

This is a good thing IMO....We don't need this flag up any longer.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: seasoul

The following essay represents a perspective that many people in the world today who are struggling against tyranny can respect about the Confederate Battle Flag and the Americans who died defending it.

Struggling against tyranny? How about struggling to preserve tyranny?

Is there any oppression worse than slavery or any tyrant worse than an actual slave owner?

EDIT:

Did you know that that until the 1930s, the descendants of slaves were a majority of the population in South Carolina? I suppose they must have been embracing that proud southern heritage too? Or maybe it's just that they were disenfranchised for the next century following the end of the Civil War and as such have just had to keep dealing with this symbol of white southerner's "proud heritage."
edit on 2015-6-22 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

There is no good reason a state building should be flying that flag.

Especially in a time when all remaining opposition to the federal government is swiftly being eradicated.

Outta sight, outta mind.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Yep.

Because we all know this will solve everything.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

So you think it is a good thing for a state (a local extension of the federal government) should be able to symbolically defy the federal government? Again I said I see no problem with an individual or private company from doing it, but if you can't see the conflict of interest with a state flying it, then I don't know what to say.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I don't think anyone is suggesting this will solve everything, but it certainly looks like it would be a good step in the right direction. At the very least, it is the right thing to do regardless of how many things it fixes.
edit on 22-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Actually the North fired the first shots but I agree with all of your other sentiments. The flag should not fly over any government buildings, local or state.

And, furthermore, this is just a feel good bandaid, it fixes nothing. Not everyone who identifies with the flag has racist intentions. And many racists are socially adept/sophisticated enough to know not to associate with it.

ETA! My bad. Thanks for correcting me.

edit on 6/22/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/22/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I really do not understand why they would want to fly a flag of losers.

The Confederates got their a$$ kicked and bad.
They had an outdated ideology then.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Um... No...
First Shots of the Civil War Fired at Fort Sumter

In late 1860 and early 1861, South Carolina and other southern states withdrew from the Union. They formed a new nation called the Confederate States of America.

But Abraham Lincoln, the president of the United States, said the southern states did not have right to secede. And he said he would not accept the South’s demand to remove U.S. soldiers from South Carolina. The soldiers defended a base in Charleston Harbor called Fort Sumter.

So, Confederate leaders ordered an attack. Just before sunrise on April 12, 1861, a shell exploded above Fort Sumter. It was the first shot fired in the American Civil War.

Major Robert Anderson led the small force of U.S. soldiers at Fort Sumter. Anderson could not use his most powerful cannons to answer the Confederate attack. The cannons were in the open at the top of the fort, where the gunners were not protected. Too many of his men would be lost if his force tried to fire these guns.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

This is great news.

originally posted by: seasoul
For a moment take slavery out of the equation, for in fact only a small percentage of wealthy Northerners and Southerners actually promoted and/or profited from this unjust institution.

Slavery cannot be extricated from the racism issue. Slavery is the genesis of racism. It wasn't only slave owners who viewed blacks as less than, undeserving, different from, the white people. (And many still do) It wasn't only slave owners who hunted and killed blacks like animals. Slavery ended in 1865, but racism thrived and lives on today.

People can fly the flag in their yards or MANY other places. The right to free speech is limited. You can't go into any government building and exercise unlimited free speech. The flag shouldn't fly there.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I don't believe in government period so I really don't care which pretty banner is waving where.

I was just commenting on the convenient (at least, appearing so to me) timing of it all.

Everything is symbolic. Especially the actions taken by the sadistic institutions that run this place.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Disregarding your anarchist stance for the moment, do you think it is conducive to a functioning government to promote a time in the past when the government was so dysfunctional, that it split in half?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

And our tarnished discredited U.S. flag represents what, a thoroughly corrupt republic where tyranny, fraud, nepotism, a one-party system, and illegal wars of opportunity on foreign soil are now the order of the day?

It's sad, but the U.S. flag has come to symbolize nothing more than a grand deception.
source: www.lewrockwell.com...

Current events involving the Confederate false flag affair should be closely examined as a possible red-herring, one that not only rapidly accelerates the divide-and-conquer agenda, but greatly distracts from vastly more important issues (e.g. undisclosed Trans-Pacific Partnership treaties) at hand.

edit on 22-6-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Actually the North fired the first shots but I agree with all of your other ssentiments. The flag should not fly over any government buildings, local or state.

No, the first shot was a 10 inch mortar fired at 4:30 A.M. on the morning of April 12, 1861 by one Captain James, under the command of Confederate General P.G.T. Beauregard and it exploded approximately 100 feet above Ft. Sumter.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join