It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nikki Haley To Call For Confederate Flag To Be Removed From South Carolina Capitol: Reports

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
on a side note..........

The confederate flag (when theres not a confederacy anymore and subsuquently lost) is offensive.......

But a white woman, lying and pretending to be black, basically wearing black face for YEARS and perpetuating racial stereotypes in order to keep up the ruse, while heading up a chapter of the NAACP is wildly acceptable.....

The world is truly upside down

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wetpaint72
If those who enjoy the flag and its symbol of "heritage", would have stood up for that said "heritage", would have taken a stand and defended the flag from being hijacked by groups that preach hate, white supremacy, segregation, this wouldn't be happening.

That same train of logic is rejected when we're discussing Islam, therefore it should be rejected here as well.
Southern heritage is a heritage of peace, hard work, and a desire to simply be free.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Fine. In a republic such as what the US is supposed to be, I believe it is the duty of its member states to constantly remind the central authority of who is really in charge.

The states aren't in charge though. The people are.

And of what will happen if that central authority steps outta line.

I see no problem with a state government flying a flag that represents, essentially, a giant middle finger to the federal authority. In fact I encourage it. It's part of why that state government exists in the first place.

States exist to make it difficult to defy the federal government? Um... No... That's not why they exist at all.

Satisfied? Can't set the anarchism aside entirely, but I tried.

I guess it's good enough. Though for future reference, you may want to practice thinking outside the box. Not all answers to questions can be defined with one narrow political, social, or economic view.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

You have an odd view of of history. That "giant middle finger" was ironically shoved up the rectum of those who put it it up during and after the civil war.

I do not think anyone would argue that it worked out well for them.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I certainly don't accept that woman doing that and think she should be thrown in jail immediately for defrauding the NAACP.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6
Not sure I'm following...is this ironic sarcasm?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

That's what I was saying in the first place?

ATS has gone Twilight Zone today...

... and taken me with it, apparently.

link   

Right! isnt it Southern Heritage and Southern values that right now has kept SC from turning into Boston, or Ferguson, or any of the other riotous places where blacks were killed?

Funny how people slam the south, yet from everything we see here, they have handled this situation with love and grace......

its like since they arent losing their sh@t, people are trying to stir enough discontent to make it happen........

What I see is love and compassion and forgiveness coming from the black community, and the white community joining hands, infact its not even a white/black community.....

Its a SOUTHERN community.......

This whole flag thing is proof that people are trying to manufacture outrage....

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I certainly don't accept that woman doing that and think she should be thrown in jail immediately for defrauding the NAACP.

couldnt agree more my friend

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Yea, all that federal aide the states receive from the federal government certainly IS a big eff you to the states. Man the NERVE of the federal government, giving the states a bunch of money to implement its local policies!

Ironic, in a thread that ultimately boils down to the argument of slavery, you're playing that card. Slavery is slavery, regardless of how much Master feeds you or how nice your slave quarters are that Master has provided, if his laws are unjust and the punishment for violating them is harsh, you're a goddamn slave. Federal money doesn't go towards "local policies," it goes towards "policies which align with federal government instructions."

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Fun fact, South Carolina currently has the worst ratio of federal taxes paid versus what's received in federal fuding; for every $1.00 paid in federal taxes, they're receiving $5.38 from the federal government. That's apparently down from almost $8 last year.

That seems like a big a pretty big "eff you" to me.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

No body is raising an islamic flag over the capital building....

They would still the right to go fly that flag all they want

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

If there is one thing history has often proven, it's that demonstrations like that rarely have an effect on the natural stage unless the numbers are too immense to ignore. Is it commendable that the community is trying to unite, certainly. Yet it isn't just South Carolina that is going to have to respond to this movement. It is all of the South, so while holding hands might make a difference, it also makes a target.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Well, Baltimore, Ferguson, Oakland, Toledo, Cincinnati, Fontana... all deep South cities with strong Southern heritage connections. Oh, wait, actually none of those cities fall into that category. My bad.

Considering the places the media advocates changing the most are also the places with the least modern strife, it makes you wonder.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Well, Baltimore, Ferguson, Oakland, Toledo, Cincinnati, Fontana... all deep South cities with strong Southern heritage connections. Oh, wait, actually none of those cities fall into that category. My bad.

Considering the places the media advocates changing the most are also the places with the least modern strife, it makes you wonder.

Ineed! I find it stark contrast.....

It is nice that SC is setting the president for how you SHOULD react to things like this......take the power out of hate by responding with love

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Obama will be giving the eulogy in South Carolina this friday..

LOL wait wait, didn't Obama wanna nuke South Carolina?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
They made a symbolic gesture to get rid of a symbol of slavery.

And in doing so, gave power to that symbol.

Symbols never hurt anyone. (Unless the symbol was a cross and you were a vampire or an athiest. )

But now that flag, that flag has been infused with power. It is now the symbol of racism. It is the symbol of a mass murder in a church.

Now the racists have a flag that they can rally around.

The confederate flag may have respresented many things before last week.

But now it will only mean one thing from now on.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

It's an excellent point but it doesn't take into account the cult of kitsch surrounding the Confederate flag in Southern culture. To deny the concept that many more Southerners simply see it as a emblem of independence, pride and a laid back attitude is as incomplete as to deny the racist implications.

Neither characterization is wholly complete, it's more complicated than that, and Haley addressed that in her statement.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Good for the governor

She has learned

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Now the racists have a flag that they can rally around.

As if they haven't been rallying around it since it's inception... At least it won't have the official backing of the state.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join