It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Man's Sky , a Universe of 18 quintillion possible planets to explore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
After last years E3 No Man's Sky stood out for me as a game to watch , Hello Games only showed a video but the scope of the project is huge , No Man's Sky is a space exploration game played out in a procedurally generated open universe where you and your spacecraft can engage in space battles or land on and explore any one of 18 quintillion planets , all procedurally generated , all different , once you discover a planet you will be recorded as the discoverer and anyone who visits the planet will visit the planet you discovered not a procedurally generated one.

Here's a video from this years E3 where Sean Murray of Hello Games plays the latest build of the game and puts some flesh on the bones of what could be an exiting and interesting space exploration game.

Looking forward to the Beta.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I missed E3 so thank you for posting. This sounds amazing on so many levels! and looks beautiful
edit on 18-6-2015 by Shepard64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
"throws wallet at screen"

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This game is on my to buy list, but i'm worried that these planets will just be duplicates of the main planets, which would make the novelty wear off very quickly.

edit on 6-18-2015 by skyblueworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
When i saw this, for some reason Spore came to mind!
I'll pass and get Star Citizen.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I've been so excited since it was first announced a year or two ago. Absolutely can't wait to play this.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang
When i saw this, for some reason Spore came to mind!
I'll pass and get Star Citizen.

Procedurally generated geometry is the big thing now ... either you hire dozens of artists, animators and 3D modelers to create the artwork, or you can write bits of software to generate planets, terrain, vegetation and characters using different sets of randomized parameters. You can allow these to change through time, so you can simulate evolution.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Be sure to join the facebook No Man's Sky community group www.facebook.com...

and community forums explorenms.com...

If you have any questions about the game, ask me and I will answer (:

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: skyblueworld
This game is on my to buy list, but i'm worried that these planets will just be duplicates of the main planets, which would make the novelty wear off very quickly.

Each planet is procedurally generated and will NOT be the same. You may see some consistency from time to time, but trust me, each planet will be unique.

To generate a planet, specific factors are needed:

1. The sun type
2. Distance from sun
3. Planets atmosphere, chemical and gas components, and many more.

These factors decide the kind of terrain, the general colors you see, the way the atmosphere looks, the kind of life and foliage it has (if any).

Also it's not like you will see the same kind of foliage across all planets. They are all generated as well based off factors of the planet. You will also see a persistence of foliage through out the same planet. This means that it won't be chaotic and you will have a clusterf*ck of different foliage all over the place. A simple general example: If a planet is generally of a purple color, then alot of the things in the planet will generally be purple.
edit on 19-6-2015 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2015 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
No Man's Sky almost seems like Rodina that is out on Steam.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Reminds me of SPORE...which had so much potential!

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Been tracking this since it's first outing. The game has so much potential, I just want to get in that ship and explore away. My only concern is repetitive worlds and variety within the game world, it's a very small team, and there's only so much they can do after all.

Still eager though!

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: valiant
Been tracking this since it's first outing. The game has so much potential, I just want to get in that ship and explore away. My only concern is repetitive worlds and variety within the game world, it's a very small team, and there's only so much they can do after all.

Still eager though!

That was how spore got but then with DLC's and mulitplayer it could have been spiced up a lot...

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: abeverage

Yeah i've thought that's how this is gonna go, DLC support along the line with more variety etc

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: valiant
a reply to: abeverage

Yeah i've thought that's how this is gonna go, DLC support along the line with more variety etc

Eh, there won't be DLC. If there is, it most likely will be free.

The game will have updates though. After release the devs will work on other features, as well as start taking and considering suggestions from players.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

Sorry, that's exactly what I meant, used the wrong term!

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Looking forward to the Beta.

Yeah and I am looking forward to when we can upload our consciousness into a robotic versions of ourselves that never die as long as our batteries are recharged so that I can explore every planet.

How long did the developers of the game say it would take to do so?

Wasn't it like 1000s of years?

Highly unlikely you would ever run into another gamer during your explorations, if they have a player base such as Destiny with Millions playing world wide I would say it makes the chances of bumping into another gamer much greater.

I was astounded when I first heard of the game and its size, have been patiently waiting, so I hope they release it sooner than later.

I have heard that they will release on PS4 and PC at the same time and aiming for early 2016, previously it was going to be released on PS4 first.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: skyblueworld

I can tell you that they consulted some very notable astronomers and astrobiologists who actually model extrasolar planets and who do related researchfor a living.

You may notice that the vegetation on that one planet in the video was mostly red rather than green as on Earth. There is very valid science behind that based on how photosynthesis works with dealing with the light of stars of different spectral classes different from our Sun.

This research was conducted by the VIrtual Planet Laboratory at UW (where I go to college) and NASA.

That should indicate the level of detail which has gone into NMS and as such there should be a huge variety of worlds to explore.

I can't wait for it's release! Does anyone know how to get on the beta-testing list for it?

By the way anyone who can't wait and wants to check out and explore an huge, open, procedurally generated universe right now for free should check out Space Engine. No trees or aliens (yet) but basic stuff like terrain, ground vegetation, etc.

edit on 29-6-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Wow that is stunning...

The things we can create, through our magic of technology and computer design, all operated and conducted by human minds..

That game looks incredible!

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

The game looks massive.

I don't know anything about games I only have played Everquest for many years.

I was wondering if you ever see your own avatar or other player characters or only the ships? EQ is fun in getting new clothing and weapons.

I also was surprised if this is the finished look of the game as EQ is so old and the landscapes are much brighter and more interesting imo?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join