It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*** ALL MEMBERS *** Ending Rudeness, Hate, Bigotry: Getting Back to Basics

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Just my opinion, snark doesn't matter if post contains information or provokes further discussion of matter at hand.

To a point of course.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Just my opinion, snark doesn't matter if post contains information or provokes further discussion of matter at hand.

To a point of course.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Seamrog

If all is seen how could there be "an agenda driven moderator?" Cripes.

'Respectfully,' you are one of them.

Really not a fair analogy. EVERYONE hates me.

Join the club
NO, no. You are an important part of this whole place.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
As a staff member

Wishing people dead/calling them subhuman/abominations because they have a different religion, skin colour or sexual identity (or even political affiliation, come from a different county and/or sometimes simply have a different opinion is NOT the ATS way.

And thats what we're talking about here. Hate for hates sake.

That should not be difficult to understand for anyone.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix

To a point of course.
LOL I would hope we could be still be snarky once and awhile or the entire site should close down starting at 7pm EST fri to midnight EST Sunday. Different times for our polite UK members lol.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Is Putinista considered an insult? It feels like whenever I do not stand up for the current Ukrainian government, that is what I become labelled. I googled it and it doesn't even mean anything so... I don't know...

On a side note: Though it may be well deserved, how do I shake the "anti-American" stigma? I'm not.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Yes. Like libtard or redneck when used against somebody in conversation. That kind of unnessesary snark for Snark's sake has no place in proper discussion IMO.

I figured it meant Putin's cheetleader squad honestly. Doesn't matter though, you can tell the intend pretty easily.

As for the anti American stigma, I live in bloody Canada and get labeled that so no idea either.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Yeah, it's unfortunately true the PC crowd is so humorless that we now have to carve out time for it.

Agree with mod said "wish you were dead" and statements like that.

Certainly this is and has been an "International" board as well as one where all beliefs come to discuss matters.

Knowing that I have no issue with viewpoints diverging from my own all though I will debate from my life's experience vigorously.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It's easy guys. Wanna bring it to the baseline? Would you say that in front of your Grandmother? Nuff said.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

We do. Lots of 'em.

We'd rather you alert them, then reply in kind. Now whether they'll be actioned or not, is another question. That's one of the reasons the mod group is so diverse. There are as many opinions on topics as there are mods, most of the time.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Funny thing is, earlier today on another thread a member made what looked like a mocking comment about T&Cs and I replied how they're needed and how ATS has high standards of decorum.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
For 99.9% of ATS this is not something you should worry about. Debate, even lively and passionate debate is what ATS is about. However, their are people who do not debate, they simply spread the same hate filled nonsense. The kind of stuff that for many members who enter a thread and see it simply leave it and wonder if coming back is even worth it if they have read things like that. When a member enters a thread and sees an opinion they do not agree presented in a for the most part respectful way, they dive in and debate. In the heat of passion debate people may cross the line. That is always going to happen. That is not what we are talking about.

However entering threads for no other reason then to spread hate against a certain group is what we are talking about. You know these people, no matter what the subject they drag in the group they have as a chosen target. They do not debate they simply spew hate. Those are the people who are being put on notice. Trust me nobody is going to miss them and many people will feel a lot better without having to deal with them.

And the Mods are a very diverse group. You could take most subjects on ATS and you would find a debate on them just as lively among the Mods as any among the members. You would never get us to agree on politics, religion, conspiracies etc. The one area we do find common ground on is trying to make ATS the best environment for our members. We want debate, we want passion. We do not want hate. We do not want a place where members are so disgusted by what they read that they never return.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
LOL I would hope we could be still be snarky once and awhile or the entire site should close down starting at 7pm EST fri to midnight EST Sunday. Different times for our polite UK members lol.
That made me chuckle.
Polite is just a respect tool that stops us from starting to shout or swinging the first punch in the pub and getting kicked out by the bouncers.
That pub respect psychological tool seems to carry out into ATS from what I experience when I'm in threads which are UK members bitching with each other, but there are always exceptions lol

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

I am certainly not a member of the PC crowd,although I obey their rules, and I love to have fun and joke and tease a little, but I never want to take it to a level of hurting anyone's feelings.

It is intent, I hate the term redneck, because my family came from there and I know the hardships they have suffered and the real reason for the term. it is a fascinating study on how they built and shaped American and now are forgotten and made fun of, those strong resilient immigrants many of Irish descent, have gotten a bad rap and their ancestors as well.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Thank you, that is very kind.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Thanks Tenth. This is much welcomed. It was to the point where I know the moment that I hit 'post' on a couple of topics it is only a matter of time before I get nailed with some sort of classification. It was getting to the point of anxiety.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I don't.

And anyone who does can put it in their pipe and smoke it.

I've learned Canadian wit from you & Jude...

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

Join the club

Again, I don't Storm, & I feel your discontent with the Christian bashing tbh.

I've noticed how it's had you around lot less, pisses me off to see good members driven away by vitriol.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
Same as you man, I don't hate anyone.
Hate is an overused word I think these days though, almost like it now means just disagreeing with someone.
I like that mods here tend to see through that silliness.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I see the term as a badge of honor because when the poster using it has reverted to labeling your opinion as such you've pretty much won the the debate as it existed, just keep to the facts after that and they'll either go away or make themselves look ill-informed.

Do I want then banned for that? No I think every little bit of fact sinks in eventually. Maybe they have facts I'm unaware of so I might learn something even if they are agressive about how it's put forth.

It's the vitriol not backed by fact, debate or information that adds nothing here.
edit on 4-6-2015 by Phoenix because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join