It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*** ALL MEMBERS *** Ending Rudeness, Hate, Bigotry: Getting Back to Basics

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Thread flagged.

I've been watching and wondering, glad to see something being done.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Do you monitor Private Messages as well?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

No, we do not and do not have access as Moderators or Super Moderators.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I think I understand what we're getting at here, but I see just a tiny few grey areas.

Speaking as a moderator here

ATS rules really are easy to distill into a single sentence:
Don't be an asshole.

That's about as basic and simplistic as it can be. Criticize who and what you wish to criticize, be circumspect over what person or issue you wish to be circumspective over, and discuss what you wish to discuss... but maintain a higher level of intelligence while doing so and be respectful of opinions which differ from your own.

Pretty obvious, really.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I happen to be a member of a religious group that is always under attack for everything said.
example...I am against gay marriage,that gets me automatically labeled as a hate filled bigot.
So my solution to this is to stop posting on those type of threads.I will stick to safer threads
and keep my opinions to myself.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Every bit of this thread is very well said! I particularly like this part...

Strong opinions are expected and they are welcome!

Let it be known that this is not an attempt to create an echo chamber. ATS will always value the opinions of all members, but we insist that these opinions are presented tastefully and with respect to our community values in mind. NO members who have 'unpopular' opinions will be subjected to punishment, so long as the T&C is followed.

I definitely can be numbered among the unpopular, but I love any subject matter being truly discussed by a number of persons. There simply is nothing too out there for discussion in my opinion. The trouble has always been the discussion of each other and words like "You Fool" "You are so ignorant" "Get an Education" and much worse. (Deny Ignorance can be used as a club by some) I doubt it was meant to be used this way.

Clearly anyone can have a unique view of a subject and because of their particular genetic makeup or life experience or some other reason may have a vision of it that no one else could, we can learn from EVERYONE'S imput. Educated non educated homeless or rich, religious or not any race or sex we all have something in us that someone else could learn from.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Don't be an asshole.

Or as S-Dog used to say -- "an ATS-hole".

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

No, we do not and do not have access as Moderators or Super Moderators.

Okay, so do we report messages that are verbal abuse or attacks?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

absolutely you do. Don't delete them, either. Message staff, and it well be handled as quickly as humanly possible.

Only one person has access to the PM system, and that's Bill. ...and he's busier than one mortal man should be.

We take abusive PM's extremely seriously.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
I happen to be a member of a religious group that is always under attack for everything said.
example...I am against gay marriage,that gets me automatically labeled as a hate filled bigot.

Hence my unanswered question.

my solution to this is to stop posting on those type of threads.I will stick to safer threads

It occurs to me that that is the precise intention of many posters, and some moderators here.

I hope the moderators see the sad irony of a "safe thread."

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I think that you have not taken it far enough. ATS has slowly been turned into a social media site. What with all these forums?
Think on the founding of the site, what I came on the site for. ATS? That supossedly stands for Above Top Secret. What's so secret about all the news stories about cops shooting anybody, about how my dog did this or that, or I don't feel well today?
Where are all the secrets never mind about the top secrets. And don't start me on the religious threads that have no secret or revelation in them, just pushing their form of religion.
Or is this post to contriversial for you Mods.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Fine and dandy upon first read however the parameters stated are so broad and open for misconstruing because what offends me is different from other members and mods.

Just for instance with politics coming in a big way next year and a half certain commonly and publicly used descriptive labels could be construed by more sensitive types as derogatory when not meant that way.

INTENT, yup that's the key term, to understand it is to ask the poster in U2U before jumping to conclusions based on one's internal bias as a moderator or poster unless an outright violation T&C.

I have been on both sides of the fence modwise and know that it's a fine judgment call on certain issues. I'd say err on the side of open discussion rather than black and white rule making.

It was free and open discussion no matter how controversial that had me become a member more than a decade ago.

That said, I've seen this same crackdown happen 3-4 times over the years especially around US elections and really can't say they ultimately benefitted my experience on ATS - rather than resulting betterment it was more like homoginization of opinion based on popular beliefs at the time.

One liners, quips and outright put downs deserve consequences. Opinion, semantics and other descriptives need careful thought rather than sudden action or this board will stifle itself.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
So my solution to this is to stop posting on those type of threads.I will stick to safer threads
I think it would depend on HOW you say it. For example "My spiritual beliefs are against Gay marriage" rather than, "God will send these people to hell and it is a choice." I have not read any of your posts in regard to this, but that is an example.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

ATS is stronger and better, precisely because of diversity.

In both topics and membership.

Also the membership publish all the content.

Where are all the threads you've made about the things you want to read about and discuss?

Be the change you want to see.

-Tenth

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

We've allowed a very loud few to obfuscate the goals and spirit of ATS.

That is a very telling statement . It seems to me that certain people are already singled out . If so and I could be wrong . It may serve ATS very well if they were notified through U2U. To be given time to adjust their attitudes while knowing they are on thin ice .

No offense intended. This is just a suggestion to try and cut out some drama .

I completely agree and ask to be informed if I am one of the people that the mods have already singled out to watch their behavior. It would be helpful to know and what statements I have made in the past that would qualify one for expulsion from the site.

It is only common courtesy to notify those who are likely to be offenders, and what statements the persons have been made in the past that caused this policy to be enforced.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

All we're asking for is politeness in expressing your views. There are, however, viewpoints that no amount of politeness will make acceptable.

Posts that advocate some sort of innate superiority based on race, religion, creed, sexuality... You know the drill.

Seriously, what's difficult to understand here?

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix I am offended when people make up funny names for the President- like Obummer. I did not like either Bush, but I would not make up funny names for them. I would not say their wives may be male. Michelle is not the first tall, strong looking first lady- see Barbara Bush. It is offensive to doubt their citizenship and religion, when it is public record. The President is the Commander in Chief. I can disagree with policies and actions, but not personally attack them.

edit on 4-6-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Speaking as a Moderator

If there are forums on ATS which do not float your boat, simple don't visit them.
To quote Abe Lincoln:
"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time."

Just because you don't care to read a thread about someone's pet doesn't mean the opinions of that pet owner and the thread participants are any less valid and deserving than your opinions in a thread about secret government programs. Part of reducing the hatred and venom on ATS is absolutely going to require each member show deference to opinions indifferent than their own and to topics they may find disinteresting, even "unworthy" of their time. Similarly, we will expect a degree of maturity and deference from ATS' membership in receiving the opinions of others. Someone being opposed to something you favor doesn't constitute hatred, it constitutes a difference of opinion.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Don't be an asshole.

Four simple words...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join