It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arco [MAY2015]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It was hot as hell, but just a normal July day in Arco, Idaho. Tim was headed to Pickle's Place for an atomic burger, without the onions, he hated onions. He chose to forgo the special fried pickle and just ordered the burger. Susan took the order and asked if he wanted a coke to go with it, he realized he had forgotten to order it and felt stupid.

Tim was a slim teenager, definitely not athletic, a typical nerd by all definition. He loved nuclear everything and if he hadn't been born here he was sure he would have found his way here. The first city lit by atomic power in 1955, it was the home of atomic reactor development, more than fifty since1949.

His father was an engineer at INL (Idaho National Lab) and working on a new super secret reactor. He kept asking for some small bit of information on it but his father was adamant that he couldn't talk about it. It made Tim even more committed to becoming a nuclear physicist so that he would be in on the secrets that were now kept from him.

Susan gave him his burger without smiling and rather than eat it there he decided to do take out. Two of his worst bullies were there and he didn't want to suffer their attempts at humiliating him. Tim had an IQ of 158 but totally lacked in social skills. These two fellow classmates might hit a hundred if added together he thought to himself.

Once back in his parent's ugly old station wagon, which they had given him when he asked for a car, he decided to drive out to EBR1. It was now open for self guided tours. There were nice picnic tables there in the shade of house sized atomic engines. Inside was the famous “hot cell” where they made plutonium-239. It was sealed in 1974, with a four foot thick window made of multiple layers of oil separated glass.

He had just begun to eat his burger when another car pulled up with three adult men in it. It was a rental car and the three men did not look like normal tourists. They looked of Middle Eastern decent. He chided himself that he was profiling these people without any cause. When they got out they all looked around surveying the area. When they saw him they quickly averted their eyes. The man sitting in the back seat got out carrying a large bag. Something about the three and the large bag just didn't seem right to Tim. He kept his gaze from directly looking at them. They disappeared through the entrance into the building.

He hadn't quite finished his burger when they suddenly reappeared without the bag. They hurriedly got into their car and as they moved past him he felt a pounding hot flash hit his chest. As they sped off he realized he had been shot. Without hesitation he stumbled his way into the building and quessing their destination made his way to the “hot cell.” There taped to the window was the bag. They had duct taped it to the glass.

He knew he had to remove it and get it out of the building. With all his strength he tore at the tape until finally it gave way. Bleeding profusely, he hurried outside to get it away from the building. He ran as fast as he could and made it about a hundred yards away when it exploded. He was vaporized instantly and felt no pain.

When the dust settled and the police arrived they found a puzzling scene of a giant hole in the desert and a half eaten atomic burger left on a table. The scene was chaos but an alert had been sent out. The terrorists made the mistake of stopping in Arco to eat and were arrested while they ate their atomic burgers and fried pickles.

It was only after they recovered video that they saw what Tim had done. Later that month he was honored during Atomic Days as a hero. Pickle's Place named a burger for Tim, one without onions.
edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: (no reason given)

edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: grayeagle

I'm glad he was recognised for his sacrifice; there are too many unsung heroes in this world whilst the ones who shout the loudest claim fame.

Wonderful story - as usual.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Great easy to read story !

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The reference points are true regarding Arco. So if you are ever traveling through Idaho visit the Craters of the Moon and stop in Arco for a burger. Thanks for stopping by and for your comments!
Peace to you my fellow writers.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

The world needs more Tim in it!

Tim for the win!

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Poor Tim! He went out a hero, though. Sometimes its the superior efforts of a normal person that make a "super hero."

Great short! S&F for you, my friend. I like the touch of the burger named after him - no onions.

-AB

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for your comments! Even though I live in Boise I have never visited Arco but now I think I shall have to. I see an Atomic burger in my future... and a beer with it would be good.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I really liked this story

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mwsmith

I see you are new to ATS, welcome! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I am glad you liked it. Will I be seeing you writing in the future?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Not a problem
I will be trying to soon!

new topics

top topics

join