It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current/former "preachers" of any faith: what is/was your training?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This forum, and the Conspiracies in Religions forum are fascinatingly addictive for me....
and as I read them, I see many members who are current or former clergy members (referring to anyone who is deemed a religious "leader" or "teacher", including proselytizers/preachers, priests, pastors, etc.)

this morning I did a bit of research into what different seminaries teach, and how 'clergy' are trained, and I'm wondering where you all got your 'learning'. Who were your teachers? Did you go to seminary? If so, what sort (I know that every denomination has their own "seminaries", but I don't know if any divinity or theological schools teach ALL religions, or if they all just drill their particular "sect" dogma into wannabe leaders.)

For example, I was looking at Fuller Theological Seminary - an Evangelical seminary.....
spent about an hour perusing their website, reading their mission statement, purpose, journal entries, class descriptions, curricula for various degrees (very troubling that they have a Psychology major....eegads...)

and I thought I'd ask ATS.

If you are or were a preacher or religious leader of any kind, where did you get your training? Who trained you? Did you feel that you were getting a biased education, or was it broad-based comparative education? Do you know much about other sects than your own (whether you are currently proselytizing on ATS, or were ever proselytizing and stopped).

What was it like for you? Did you ever feel uncomfortable with what was expected of you as you entered the ministry? Was there anything you disagreed with?

Many students at various seminaries come away as unbelievers, and some of them continue on into leadership roles.
I have only a glancing knowledge of what goes on at those Theology colleges/schools....
and have occasionally thought to enroll in one just for study of comparative religions. I'd hope to join one that discredits all of the nonsense that is religion, that starts with "Theology 101: The World Religions", but would not be interested in going to one that teaches only one specific course or belief system.

Just wondering. How does higher education churn out preachers?
What are the requirements to be a leader? What happens if you break from the 'rules' and 'methods', or expose how your training actually moved you away from belief.
The Clergy Project has some personal stories online (only 23), and I could spend the next month or two reading every single higher-ed clergy/missionary/preacher training website, but I thought I'd start here.

Anyone interested?

edit on 4/26/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (due to change in forum)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I'd hope to join one that discredits all of the nonsense that is religion

Sounds like a "help me bash Christians in the future" request...

I need some ammunition

edit on 26-4-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
You are deeply Christophobic or anti-Christian in the vast majority of your posts.

Why do you care? What are you trying to prove?

My husband is a retired minister, with 4 years of seminary training. One year of on the job training. His seminary was closely aligned with a nearby Jewish seminary. He was taught that all Christians are Christians, regardless of "flavor", denomination. He was also taught that the things that normally split people into denominations are not worth "fighting" or splitting a church over. That the main thing he was taught is something that you make fun of normally, a deep abiding faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. "Love your neighbor as yourself" should be the guiding principal of all Christians. That the Jewish faith should be honored as Jesus was Jewish.

His seminary degree was a four year masters degree of well over 90 credit hours, then he received a two year masters degree (42 credit hours) in marriage and family therapy at a Major state university.

Won't give you anymore info than that on a public forum. But hope it is enough to satisfy your curiosity, or to give you a wonderful jumping off point to make fun of me and my faith some more.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Ma'am, I am not "Christophobic" -
I just am curious to know what official training religious leaders have. Leaders of ANY religion. Some of them require no training at all. Some of them go to Divinity school, or Seminary, or whatever 'training'. Some of them don't.

May I please just have a thread that enables discussion of the various methods of teaching religious leaders?

"Love your neighbor as yourself" should be the guiding principal of all Christians.

Yep, and if you followed my posts you'd see that that is exactly what I believe:
The Golden Rule.

But, the fact is that preachers are trained somehow, and I'm genuinely interested in hearing about their educations.

Thanks for providing the info that you did. Was his training different from other ministers that you know?

edit on 4/26/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Not exactly. It's a "let's find out how preachers get groomed" request. It is directed at EVERY preacher - Muslim, Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, Hindu, etc. I'm genuinely interested in learning how one would go about becoming a "leader" in any religion, and sect of any religion, etc.

But, oh well. Already - the Christian fanatics are attacking (assuming) that I am attacking. I asked a question. Should a person not be allowed to find out where teachers got their training/education?
And what their classes (if any) were about?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

That the main thing he was taught is something that you make fun of normally, a deep abiding faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. "Love your neighbor as yourself" should be the guiding principal of all Christians. That the Jewish faith should be honored as Jesus was Jewish.

Make "fun" of? No, grandma, I think that a "deep abiding faith in Jesus Christ" is unnecessary......the Golden Rule has been around for FAR LONGER than 2000 years.

And the Jewish people don't (as far as I know) think Jesus was "Lord and Savior". So - I'm confused.
I wish you'd give me more info, but, I guess not.

I think NONE of this is "funny", though.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

The reason you are not going to get many responses from ATS Christian regulars that know who you are is not because of your Christianphobia but because you are extremely condescending and adversarial.

You can say you “love your neighbor as yourself and treat others as you would want them to treat you” however you seldom put that into action in these forums.It makes even your sincere request and responses void.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

So, can you at least share with us whether or not he studied other religions while he was there?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Rex282

Okay then.

Never mind, everyone.

Just trying to learn, so I can be more knowledgeable. But, whatever.
I'll go look it up myself.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: Rex282

Okay then.

Never mind, everyone.

Just trying to learn, so I can be more knowledgeable. But, whatever.
I'll go look it up myself.

That would have been the best thing to do in the first place. I see this pretty often, atheists or non-Christians baiting a thread to see what they can catch, I guess out of sheer boredom?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I find it interesting that so far people who are Christian don't want to share their credentials. What, it's a private club?
Like the Masons?

I'm happy to provide mine, and have done so many times.

I take lots of criticism; lots of ATS members bash/make fun/ridicule the Mental Health field (of which I was a part, but bailed before getting licensed, due to what I learned there), and if they were to ask about my credentials, I would happily participate and provide them links.

Funny thing is - I am perfectly able to criticize the Mental Health profession, as it is why I left it.
But, I still know what I know (because you can't 'unknow' what you know), and am constantly seeking to know more about it. I follow Brain Science, NDE research, Child Development, Systems theory, Sociology, World events, etc.
When I read things on ATS about those topics, I check the resources, and apply what I know - objectively (but sometimes with a defensive "nu-uh!" in my head) as often as I can. That's what learning is all about.

Any person who is a 'professor' or 'leader' of any institution ought to be expected to provide the "sources" of their beliefs.

But - the fact is there are many charlatans out there in any profression. Many clinical psychotherapists are very messed up 'counselors', and nearly all of them have had issues of their own. And there are also some very good clinicians, who have sorted out their issues and in the process learned how to understand their own behavior.

Isn't that part of professional obligation? Continuing Education? Inservice Units? Yes, it is.
Licensed professionals in education, medicine, social services all have to take courses for
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
but preachers wont' do that?
Really?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
In fact, if anyone is interested, I'd happily do an AMA about being in the Mental Health profession.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

That would have been the best thing to do in the first place.

Why?

It's forbidden to ask questions of people's educations?
It's not boredom, it's genuine interest.
I already said I spent a couple of hours looking at websites that deal with the topic...I simply wondered if ATS would like to explore it and share their own experiences.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rex282

The reason you are not going to get many responses from ATS Christian regulars that know who you are is not because of your Christianphobia but because you are extremely condescending and adversarial.

You can say you “love your neighbor as yourself and treat others as you would want them to treat you” however you seldom put that into action in these forums.It makes even your sincere request and responses void.

You can in fact be following the golden rule while criticizing faith driven religion. The whole would I like someone to not point out my illogical thinking when I was refusing to see the whole picture thru faith driven indoctrination.

I was once an atheist and a fool since I would not listen to those who knew more. And now days I value their failed attempts to make me understand more and wished I was more humble so that I could have understood the spiritual path sooner.
edit on 26-4-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

now days I value their failed attempts to make me understand more and wished I was more humble so that I could have understood the spiritual path sooner

Thanks for your participation. There are lots of paths up the mountain.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Also, folks

The question that is the OP asks for ANY religious leaders (current or former) to share their educational background.

Not just Christians. Any rabbis, imams, pastors, monks, wiccan priests, etc.....ANYONE

I also had training as a Wiccan, and would be happy to provide links to my educational background in that.

Not to mention that I was raised a Christian (Episcopalian), and received education in that as well....no problem with disclosing what my experience was.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
my Grandpa was a "Local Elder" in the World Wide Church of god. I just asked ny Grandma what kind of training he had, and she said nothing formal.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Thanks! Huh, never heard of that organization. I'll check it out.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

not sure if it's still around. When I was a part of it, they didn't celebrate a lot of the christian holidays, xmas being the big one, and birthdays! (WTF?). Then years later, after I had left, they started to do those things, which led to my gramps leaving.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Very interesting. Sounds kinda like what I know of the JWs.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join