It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism in the Bible

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I have many problems with the man written bible but your verses are showing only one side of those words. In the New testament, Christ said that he has come to set the captive free... Or Various other verses like these. The warlord Jehovah has little in common with the words of the new testament. Especially the words in the Nag Hamadi text.

Mark 12:31 ESV /

The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

1 Corinthians 12:12-13 ESV /

For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit

Colossians 3:10-11 ESV /

And have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all.

Matthew 7:12 ESV /

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Revelation 7:9 ESV /

After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands,

John 13:35 ESV /

By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: uncommitted

I hate to tell you this, but most faiths like most politicians, nations etc, tend to look to their own first. In this case 'their own' means Israelis or what I'd assume we refer to as Jews of which Jesus was. Should he be above that? He proved he was when she professed faith to God - it's not that hard is it?

Yes he SHOULD be above that. Jesus is supposed to be without sin, and here we see him judging people as more worthy than others.

.....and when she proclaimed faith he did what was asked of him. It's a bit tricky to use your argument in isolation - you are aware of the 'those of you without sin, cast the first stone' bit?

How is admitting that dogs eat the crumbs leftover from the children, professing faith?

I think she was suggesting humility, and I think you are trying to read this way too literally with a 21st Century sensibility. I don't know why, but I can see the metaphor the passage is making - not sure if you just can't or are choosing not to.

Humility? Jesus acted like a douche to her and it was only after his disciples begged him to even talk to her AND she admits that she is below the Israelites that Jesus deemed to help her. If the Bible were a bit more descriptive, I'm sure it would have included a long sigh from Jesus followed by a groan while he healed her.

Ahhh, dear. You disappoint me sometimes. You really do wear that 21st century hat and apply your morals or thoughts to a book a couple of thousand years old - a book (New Testament) about a person you don't even acknowledge existed, and you are now even adding your own element to it. If you look again he didn't heal 'her', the passage says it was her daughter that was healed. You really ought to get over this, not good for your health.

21st century hat? Jesus' words are "treat others as you want to be treated". How many people do you know that like being ignored or be compared to a dog when they request assistance for their ailing child?

By the way, I could break that story down further. For instance, Jesus never appears to lay hands on the daughter. He never confirms if the girl is demon possessed. He just simply says that the demon is gone and continues on his way. Such an account seems fishy to me, but I left that part out because you could claim that Jesus knew through his super powers that the girl was cured or whatever. I'm trying to discuss Jesus' actions BEFORE the "healing".

You really are obsessed aren't you? I'm sorry, but I won't continue a discussion with someone acting like a 13 year old who gets so sulky when people (like, most of them in this thread alone) don't agree with their opinion. But I do have one thing to add...........

Throughout this thread, you keep referring to Christians, when the first post in your OP was based on a passage from the Old Testament which is a base on which the three Abrahemic faiths were built. Why do you not question all three faiths, or is that just down to your weird obsession with Christianity?

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
They got that one from god itself supposedly. The whole passover episode, where god decided he wanted to punish the pharoah, for doing what he made him do, by killing the firstborn children of all his people.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Good notice, and I am glad you pointed it out... it could be applied to all 3 Abrahamic religions, because all 3 really are based on intolerance toward others that leads to racism, as stated by OP.

originally posted by: TKDRL
They got that one from god itself supposedly. The whole passover episode, where god decided he wanted to punish the pharoah, for doing what he made him do, by killing the firstborn children of all his people.

Nah, that is just how 'just' their god is... by killing firstborn children for sins of their fathers.

Whole story supposed to show something different, but today moral show us just how cruel whole idea was....

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: jeramie

And the ironic thing is that they're the ones throwing out the word "bigot" left and right.

Are you saying calling out bigotry is bigoted?

God still loves them, as do I, because that's what the Lord said we should do.

If god said to hate them, would you follow that command too?

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

You really are obsessed aren't you?

Not near as obsessed as Christianity has been with conquering the world in the past 2000 years.

Why do you not question all three faiths, or is that just down to your weird obsession with Christianity?

Because Christianity is the dominant religion in the Western world, and because this thread is about the bible.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Really, is that a logical statement, you just being obtuse.

Can you think about how ludicrous that comment is.....please.

My goodness this is just becoming absurd beyond reason

maybe you should ask christians what we should do if God said we should become lemmings, rub chillies in our eyes, fly each other like kites, what do you recon?

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch

maybe you should ask christians what we should do if God said we should become lemmings, rub chillies in our eyes, fly each other like kites, what do you recon?

But we know already answer, as well your goodness is kind of wicked....

Deuteronomy (NIV)
17:1 Do not sacrifice to the Lord your God an ox or a sheep that has any defect or flaw in it, for that would be detestable to him.
17:2 If a man or woman living among you in one of the towns the Lord gives you is found doing evil in the eyes of the Lord your God in violation of his covenant,
17:3 and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars in the sky,
17:4 and this has been brought to your attention, then you must investigate it thoroughly. If it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done in Israel,
17:5 take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death.
17:6 On the testimony of two or three witnesses a person is to be put to death, but no one is to be put to death on the testimony of only one witness.
17:7 The hands of the witnesses must be the first in putting that person to death, and then the hands of all the people. You must purge the evil from among you.

Can you explain goodness and what they talk about in this part of your 'holy' wicked book?
edit on 25-4-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
a reply to: Barcs

Perhaps I am feeling a bit jaded by constant argument rather than open minded discussion

But it seems to me that these threads between Christians and non Christians cause only further division and make each side more staunch in their own stand

Maybe I am wrong ... I often am

But for me it felt like nothing is to be gained ... as most all Christians on ATS are not racist and each interprets The Bible in their own particular way ...

But yes I guess there is always going to be a minority of fanatics and zealots in any walk of life ... but I see very few here and they do not affect my real life

No, you aren't wrong. I agree that there is quite a bit of divisiveness, but folks do have a legitimate gripe when looking at the history. The way I see it; if one group is putting their thoughts and beliefs out there, then the opposing view should have every right to balance that out. I'm referring mostly to the Origins and Creationism section, where anti-evolution science attacking threads are pretty much constant but haven't brought anything new to the table in years.

History is over, though. We need to look to the future, where hopefully all beliefs and worldviews can coexist, with the understanding that they are not right or wrong. They are different paths to the same goal. People should unite based on what they have in common, rather than focusing on differences.
edit on 25-4-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Go back and read the posters comment.

What do you extrapolate from that comment? The ONLY reason to love them is because god said so. Absurd? Absolutely.
edit on 4/25/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

As I have stated before on other threads my religious education was delivered by ' scholars' who seemed to wallow in there contempt for those who did not fit into their beliefs.

When I was a youngster the T.V series Roots was shown and it's depiction of the horrors of slavery and the misery it caused . As the show became a talking point in school the powers that be in that bastion of enlightenment gave a us a tutorial in descriptive terms that this was bought onto themselves because of the curse of Ham and basically they were suffering for the 'supposedly ' s in full acts of one person thousands of years ago.( this statement I have since learned is not held by other Christian denominations )

The root ( I belive) lies there in. It is those who teach who hold these beliefs who promote racism and pass there teachings to the youngsters in there care which enforce the next generation of bigots in there wrongful belief that they may be superior in some way due to an act of God.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

History is over, though. We need to look to the future, where hopefully all beliefs and worldviews can coexist, with the understanding that they are not right or wrong. They are different paths to the same goal. People should unite based on what they have in common, rather than focusing on differences.

Well put
my thoughts exactly

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I like your thinking here Barcs, but it's kinda hard to accomplish that noble goal when you have those who earnestly believe they MUST convert/coerce the world to their cult, and anyone who refuses is condemned to everlasting punishment by their god. That doesn't leave much room for co-existence, or "different paths to the same goal".

edit on 4/25/2015 by Klassified because: corrections

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Good post Krazysh0t the god of the O.T was in essence a tribal god, the niceties of the tribe was not extended to others
The Bible can be used in so many twisted ways as long a they called themselves people of the book.

Now just imagine a world where these idiots get their turn at bat, right now they are fringe to be sure but so was the original religion of the bible fringe , and there is always challenges by people in the community,but they also have some measure of success because it appeals to a certain tribal instinct.

These guys believe Africans,Europeans, Asians are slated for slavery and destruction,but Native Americans and Black Americans Caribbeans are God's chosen people and will be saved and given dominance over others,btw the White Jews do not count as they are pretenders, believe it or not they some how justify this ish using the bible with a bit of creativity
Ps I hate that they used reggae in their stupid vid..Determine should have them pull it or sue them.

edit on 25-4-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
those agreeing that we shouldn't be arguing over this; that we should be looking forward are thinking straight.

be happy if you believe, by happy in doing good. show others how to do good not argue over why.

everyone needs to make a sort of peace and move on.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Jesus said to love thy neighbour and enemies and to give and treat others as you would like to be treated. His teachings were not racist but plenty of things in the torah/old testament are.

Jesus help people get over the verses about stoning people, kosher, sexism, and homophobia (although since most people mix Jesus with yahweh it distorts the teachings).

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

Deuteronomy (NIV)
17:1 Do not sacrifice to the Lord your God an ox or a sheep that has any defect or flaw in it, for that would be detestable to him.
17:2 If a man or woman living among you in one of the towns the Lord gives you is found doing evil in the eyes of the Lord your God in violation of his covenant,
17:3 and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars in the sky,
17:4 and this has been brought to your attention, then you must investigate it thoroughly. If it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done in Israel,
17:5 take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death.
17:6 On the testimony of two or three witnesses a person is to be put to death, but no one is to be put to death on the testimony of only one witness.
17:7 The hands of the witnesses must be the first in putting that person to death, and then the hands of all the people. You must purge the evil from among you.

Can you explain goodness and what they talk about in this part of your 'holy' wicked book?

Can I, yeah

Its a Jewish rule book that teaches jews how they should live and the standards they are yto live by

It is the laws and rules of the land, there is no compulsion to live these laws if you are not in the land.

The reason for the laws is to teach that God expects His people to act better than others.

The Jews dont have to worship God or sacrifice animals to Him, but if they want to then God wants them to take it seriously. You break Gods rules you will suffer severely

So what has that OT Jewish law to do with Christians and hating people today

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I like your thinking here Barcs, but it's kinda hard to accomplish that noble goal when you have those who earnestly believe they MUST convert/coerce the world to their cult, and anyone who refuses is condemned to everlasting punishment by their god. That doesn't leave much room for co-existence, or "different paths to the same goal".

Yeah of course because thats every Christian on earth and we have guns

You love extremism dont you Klass, except a few corner city preachers I have never seen it, maybe a few US televangelists who carry on
So christians banging on your door with rifle butts, coercing you with bags of lollies, what exactly?

Prone to a little catastrophising are we

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Go back and read the posters comment.

What do you extrapolate from that comment? The ONLY reason to love them is because god said so. Absurd? Absolutely.

Yeah I do agree with you, God says love them so I am forced to love them, simple isnt it

Its my desire to hate and attack, to seek revenge, to destroy people who destroy me, but God has told me to love them.

Sometimes it really sucks and I really struggle, it very hard work.

Like now when I have to explain simple logic.
God said we are to love not hate, asking an opposite question is ludicrous because it wasnt asked of us by God. I could be a extremist Muslim and go to the ME and shoot people

But that is not what my God said, the argument is folly, the question absurd.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

No, you aren't wrong. I agree that there is quite a bit of divisiveness, but folks do have a legitimate gripe when looking at the history. The way I see it; if one group is putting their thoughts and beliefs out there, then the opposing view should have every right to balance that out. I'm referring mostly to the Origins and Creationism section, where anti-evolution science attacking threads are pretty much constant but haven't brought anything new to the table in years.

Wow Barcs thats really deep and valid, almost like you have become a Born Again

Sadly you lose me with history being over though, I dont think it is.

History, the OT type shows Christians how impossible the laws are to live, how greedy selfish people rise to power, how religion is corrupted, how people are corrupted and how humanity constantly returns to doing what is wrong in Gods eyes.

We need to have one eye on our past failures and one eye on learning to live better from them so we can coexist. It all breaks down here because humanity never learns and the world is constantly at war.

There is racism in the bible, its not accepted by God, its just human nature and it will not stop because people are full of selfishness and hate.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join