It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists at Large Hadron Collider hope to make contact with PARALLEL UNIVERSE in days

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ErosA433

So, is my "gut" feeling that understanding dark matter and dark energy may lead to developing "warp" capable jump ships in the right direction? For some reason I can't shake the feeling that understanding these things better will help unlock the abilities needed to gain FTL travel.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I apologize if this seems to be off topic somewhat but, personally i will believe in `dark matter` when and if I see it. I know that the current theories require it to make any sense at all but I really can not help feeling that we have some part of the picture (probably involving `time`) that we are not as of yet grasping and we need to rethink this someday.
edit on 7-4-2015 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

So, is my "gut" feeling that understanding dark matter and dark energy may lead to developing "warp" capable jump ships in the right direction? For some reason I can't shake the feeling that understanding these things better will help unlock the abilities needed to gain FTL travel.
The Warp drive expert at NASA says he needs something akin to a concentrated form of dark energy to make warp drive work. So understanding dark energy might help, or it might not.

We understand gravity, but that doesn't mean we can manipulate gravity, so just understanding dark energy doesn't imply we can manipulate it.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Here is a thought for greater minds than mine. What if time IS dark matter and dark energy? (Just tossing that one out there for real consideration by the people who really know about these things) and it has probably been suggested before. Also I have always held onto a hunch that somehow time itself moves differently within the same space in a way that I cannot fully explain but for different masses or particles within different dimensions. (although I am coming to hate that word because its misused so much) OK lols thats all i've got.
edit on 7-4-2015 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

The Warp drive expert at NASA says he needs something akin to a concentrated form of dark energy to make warp drive work. So understanding dark energy might help, or it might not.

We understand gravity, but that doesn't mean we can manipulate gravity, so just understanding dark energy doesn't imply we can manipulate it.
yes and no.

it is true that exotic matter and energy is almost universally called for by any warp theory or wormhole theory. However; Dr White has said on occasion that he now thinks he can eliminate or nearly eliminate the need for it by using some peculiar techniques. The ring is a bit of it. But importantly (and i had never heard anything like this before) He says the stiffness or resistance of space-time itself to being deformed (he labelled this the permitivity of space-time) can be softened by introducing an AC waveform into the equation. He says this can greatly reduce of even eliminate the requirements for exotic mass/energy. What this amounts to physically is collapsing and expanding the warp field in his ring apparatus at certain frequencies.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701
If he's published a paper saying that, I'd be interested in reading it, but if Dr. White just said that, it's hard to review that comment.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

If he's published a paper saying that, I'd be interested in reading it, but if Dr. White just said that, it's hard to review that comment.

it may be in a paper somewhere; but i didn't read of it in a paper. He said it in one of the presentations he has done. I saw it on video.

EDIT: and it may have also been on a slide behind him at that presentation but I am not certain of that.
edit on 7-4-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluemooone2
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Here is a thought for greater minds than mine. What if time IS dark matter and dark energy? (Just tossing that one out there for real consideration by the people who really know about these things) and it has probably been suggested before. Also I have always held onto a hunch that somehow time itself moves differently within the same space in a way that I cannot fully explain but for different masses or particles within different dimensions. (although I am coming to hate that word because its misused so much) OK lols thats all i've got.

I was listening to one of Leonard Susskind's video courses - in one class he said that dark matter and the Cosmological Constant were the same thing - I didn't get it so did some research. I found this website which says about the same thing with a broader explanation - and yes, it does involve time.

"A cosmological constant alters the time evolution that is associated with a given spatial curvature. The k=+1 spacetime with only matter expands and then recollapses, but the k=+1 spacetime with matter and a cosmological constant can either expand forever (for L > L0), stay the same forever (L = L0) or expand and recontracts (0 < L < L0).
If L > 0 and k= 0 or -1, then space expands forever. If L < 0, then k=-1. When k=-1 with matter and no cosmological constant, the Universe is open and expands forever. But for L < 0, even though k=1 and the topology of space is open, this spacetime expands and then recontracts like the k=+1 model with matter and no cosmological constant."
www.superstringtheory.com...

edit on 7-4-2015 by Phantom423 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
incidentally; due to higher echelon interest in his QVPT and Shawyer's EM drive thing: His assistant for the warp interferometry experiment was reassigned to that project and due to deadline pressure the warp interferometry work is on temporary hiatus. that's the bad news.

But because of NASA head shed interest he is being allowed funding and other resources to build an upgraded EM drive test article and with his new analysis code they are predicting some rather spectacular gains. It's all in the NSF advanced concepts thread on the matter where Paul March interacts within the thread and shares up to the minute updates within the limits of NDAs .

And it also seems because there are rather a lot of engineers and physicists essentially doing free work in the matter, even replication efforts, the NDA seems to be pretty lax, to be honest. But- hey; if you can get 2 score professionals doing free work why not go for it?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Check this stuff out: phys.org...

so apparently massive particles acting in groups can pretend to be massless as a group behavior.

Neat trick if you could pull that off at will.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
A NSF post by Paul March (The semi-famous Engineer working with Dr White at Eagle Works) to one of the Physicists participating in the Advanced Propulsion Concepts forum thread on EM drives:

Dr. Rodal:

"If the QV is not immutable and indestructible,''') [edit: a quote of an earlier post by Dr Rodal ]

We've not tired to make that a secret and in fact that is at the core of our Q-V conjecture and Q-V plasma code that Dr. White and Dr. Vera have written that produced the Q-Thruster thrust predictions that I posted earlier on this forum. And this new paper is an expansion of Dr. White's STAIF-2007 conjecture and a partial rebuttal to the criticisms raised by the NASA Blue Ribbon panel's critique from last summer, an independent body of eight PhDs knowledge in the field that was created by NASA/JSC/EP management to vet Dr. White's QVF/MHD conjecture. And yes, if the accumulated chemical and nuclear data keeps pointing us in the same direction as it and our own experimental data has so far, we will be able to transmit and receive momentum through the Q-V via Q-Thruster like device. AND ultimately, be able harvest energy from the Q-V based cosmological gravitational field via various thermodynamic processes, at least in the far term. So find attached the Abstract and Introduction of our "Dynamics of the Vacuum" paper that will be out on the NASA servers hopefully by the end of April.

Best, Paul M.

forum.nasaspaceflight.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
a reply to: khnum

If Event Horizon is correct, it just might be....

I don't remember that movie plot involving particle accelerators. And the ship was inhabited by a supernatural force of some sort. But great movie.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
so how is it that a gaggle of massive particles can act together as if they have no mass?

EDIT: and can I apply that trick to my car?
edit on 8-4-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I originally assumed the 'unparticles' were only effective particles (macroscopic dynamical modes) in a condensed matter background of actual physical particles, the way phonons are quantization of sound.

But that's not true, apparently they are a proposal for a true fundamental physics.

I guess, Super Non-Symmetric Non-Symmetry: there is not a parallel set of particles, there's a set of pretty damn different fields. But with the same underlying idea---new physics which couples weakly to normal matter.

The originator of 'unparticle physics' doesn't have a better word than "scale-invariant stuff"

Stuff with nontrivial scale invariance in the infrared (IR) [1] would be very unlike anything
we have seen in our world. Our quantum mechanical world seems to be well-described
in terms of particles. We have a common-sense notion of what a particle is. Classical
particles have definite mass and therefore carry energy and momentum in a definite relation
E
2 = p
c
2 + m2
c
. In quantum mechanics, this relation becomes the dispersion relation
for the corresponding quantum waves with the mass fixing the low-frequency cut-off, ω
2 =
c
2 + m2
c
4/~
Scale invariant stuff cannot have a definite mass unless that mass is zero. A scale transformation
multiplies all dimensional quantities by a rescaling factor raised to the mass dimension
so a nonzero mass is not scale invariant. A free massless particle is a simple example of scale
invariant stuff because the zero mass is unaffected by rescaling.

In a nutshell: a field theory which cannot be represented as particles. May be experimentally testable.

If it's true, it's the biggest mind# to quantum field theory since modern QFT.
edit on 8-4-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Louie's Body Shop on 5th and Main has unparticle paint for your car. He's a good guy, he hooked me up cheap.
But seriously, that would be even better for spacecraft. Imagine the energy savings. Actually being able to use chemical combustion propulsion to send a probe to another star fast enough for anyone who still gives a fart about it to still be alive when it gets there.
Ok, sorry, but here comes a mini rant.
Why do so very few people seem to still care about Voyagers 1 and 2? Those craft have produced some b**ls-out AMAZING science, and a good deal of it within the last few years. THE FREAKING HELIOPAUSE! I-N-T-E-R-S-T-E-L-L-A-R S-P-A-C-E! Oh, wait, just literally spelled out the answer to my own question. Matthew McConaughey isn't flying one of them... But hey, can't blame the movie I guess. Any production that pays enough attention to the science to generate even 1 paper is respectable. Especially when it led ol' Kip to put out 2 regarding the light halos around event horizons. Ok, fine, Interstellar gets mad props for that one. And it was a pretty great movie, too. Until the Deus Ex Machina.
But, yeah, Both Voyagers are still functioning, albeit at reduced capacity, and have returned readings of the edge of the solar system that are just phenomenal. Seriously underappreciated spacecraft.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Indeed it would be. Thanks for the explanation. I could quite grasp the data in the original source.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Or to quote the famous physicist, Dr. Frankenfurter:
"A quantum mind# can be nice."
It was a great lecture up until that point. After that he apparently went off and started berating a grad student named Janet Weiss.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy

Louie's Body Shop on 5th and Main has unparticle paint for your car. He's a good guy, he hooked me up cheap.
But seriously, that would be even better for spacecraft. Imagine the energy savings. Actually being able to use chemical combustion propulsion to send a probe to another star fast enough for anyone who still gives a fart about it to still be alive when it gets there.
Ok, sorry, but here comes a mini rant.
Why do so very few people seem to still care about Voyagers 1 and 2? Those craft have produced some b**ls-out AMAZING science, and a good deal of it within the last few years. THE FREAKING HELIOPAUSE! I-N-T-E-R-S-T-E-L-L-A-R S-P-A-C-E! Oh, wait, just literally spelled out the answer to my own question. Matthew McConaughey isn't flying one of them... But hey, can't blame the movie I guess. Any production that pays enough attention to the science to generate even 1 paper is respectable. Especially when it led ol' Kip to put out 2 regarding the light halos around event horizons. Ok, fine, Interstellar gets mad props for that one. And it was a pretty great movie, too. Until the Deus Ex Machina.
But, yeah, Both Voyagers are still functioning, albeit at reduced capacity, and have returned readings of the edge of the solar system that are just phenomenal. Seriously underappreciated spacecraft.

I have pointed out that the voyagers basically prove that we can have long lived projects that last as long as it would take a 10 percent C craft or probe to get to Alpha Proxima, Rigel Kentarus and Alpha Centauri B.
edit on 8-4-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I wasn't directing the not caring comment at you. Just the general disinterest in the craft because they don't return video or stills anymore. Of what? Really?
The people intelligent enough to contribute to these threads aren't the ones I'm concerned about.
And considering the level of tech in those birds, imagine what New Horizons will eventually accomplish, after the soon-to-be Pluto awesomeness.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

UPDATE!

apparently these results came before the warp interferometry hiatus or the hiatus is off again. because Mr March just posted this:

Dr. Rodal:

Sonny White formulated a compressible quantum vacuum conjecture that requires us to live in a portion of the universe that is immersed in a false vacuum that apparently has a ground or zero-energy level much smaller than science first assumed. However what will drive this debate is experimental data first and foremost. Experimental data like what just came out of the Eagleworks Lab's latest warp-field interferometer tests based on 27,000, 1.5 second long on/off data samples that indicates we have finally observed the first spacetime contraction effects that we are fairly confident are the real deal. We again are looking for more possible false positives as well as ways of increasing the signal to noise ratio above its current ~2-to-3 sigma level, which I've already suggested several ways to do so to Dr. White. However what is really interesting about these new test results is that the laser interferometer observed spacetime contractions are being developed in a TM010 RF resonant cavity that is driving ac E-field levels over 900kV/m at a 1.48 GHz rate. A similar RF resonant system used to implement the EM-Drive and Q-thruster designs, for these spacetime contraction effects are paramount to the operation of both.

BTW, we have also started the build of our 1.2kW magnetron powered EM-Drive prototype in a tetter-totter balance system that is being built to replicate the thrust magnitudes of the Shawyer tests and the Chinese replication of same. Estimated build time should in the 2 month time period with the limited manpower available. A picture of the chaotic magnetron spectra that will be used on this system is attached along with the TE011 mode that will be driven.

Sooooooo: with these preliminary findings albeit at a somewhat crappy sigma level, they should have enough ammo to compel their head shed to continue supporting their warp research.

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join