It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum computers, A.I., Nano-tech, Robotics: They're takin our jabs !!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
As we all know, advancements in AI, robotics, and quantum computing are starting to take off in leaps and bounds. Their are several companies that are taking serious stake in these emerging technologies. Google being the front runner in the non military/government sect. Their "Google X" program is the equivalent to government black budget programs. Over the past couple of years they have acquired a good number of companies in these fields. Below is a link to those companies.
List of Google mergers (it gets interesting beginning in March of 2013)

Ray Kurzweil, along with many others, have theorized that the technological singularity will be reached by 2035. I for one feel that it will be reached sooner, but what do I know. One thing I do know is that this tech will without a doubt change the landscape drastically when it comes to the job market for us humans. The United states is mostly a "service" oriented industry and with each passing day we are seeing more automation and machines doing former human run jobs.

My question to my fellow ATS brethren is, what jobs do you see going away for humans in the future or completely disappearing altogether?

This vid is great for a laugh. Definitely recommend watching

I for one feel that with self driving cars the day of the taxi driver will go the way of the dinosaur. I can see just bringing up an app on you phone and requesting a cab at the touch of a button. Then what drives up is one of Google's self driving cars and the fair will be automatically taken from your Google wallet account. gone will be the days of wondering if the cabbie understands where you want to go or if hes taking the long way to screw you out of a couple extra bucks.
edit on 23-2-2015 by Talltexxxan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Talltexxxan

I maintain that as capabilities of computers continue to develop, any job requiring a human right now is up for grabs. Manufacturing can largely be replaced right now with automated devices doing most of the work. "Handmade folk art from wherever" could easily be done by a machine. Consider not only cabs being replaced by automated cars... as the major risk factor in driving is the human behind the wheel. If we take people out of that entirely, humans could have a relaxing first cup of tea on the way to their leisure of the day.

Creative jobs are already in danger to algorithms that can pretend to be creative. I watched a show at least 10 years ago that showed a simple system that would suggest photographic mashups between objects that it deems similar... resulting in the kind of ad where, say, an orange peel is pulled away to reveal the baby crocodile inside (since an orange has a similar shape to an egg). There are a couple of shows on television right now that I would argue are based on a very strict pattern which could easily be fed some input parameters and generate season upon season of new material. (Consider "Person of Interest", in which nearly every episode has a very predictable arc of exposition, climax, and denouement.) If it's not being written by computer, it certainly could be.

I work in software testing, and there is an ongoing discussion/argument of how much of that job can be automated. Right now, humans win because we can try things the way they aren't supposed to be tried, and we'll follow clues and act as real humans do. Give us a curious computer, or one that can figure out all the ways a thing could fail in real life, and it will likely tip toward "good enough" for product testing. Especially if the interfaces are just for interfacing with other interfaces.

Humans, as far as work is concerned, are on the way out. It leaves a gigantic black hole in our future, since all we know revolves around being "productive". What if we just get in the way? Can we reframe our existence so that we value experience and leisure? How do we earn money? Does money become irrelevant?

Name any industry, and there is a level of automation that can take it over.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The more and more work that can be done by AI/Robots/etc, the closer we get to post-scarcity society.

Of course, that only works if the globalist elite are dissolved and the robots/ai become the property of earth, not a single person.

Which is unlikely.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
Of course, that only works if the globalist elite are dissolved and the robots/ai become the property of earth, not a single person.

Which is unlikely.

The only thing that actually gives me hope with the whole global elite thing, is that if you look at the men and women that are running these new tech companies, they are young. Most of them are younger than 35yo. I feel that their generation and the ones that follow care more about the advancement of humankind rather than global domination. At least I hope that's the case.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
One thing that I find interesting is that we as a society are becoming more machine like, and our computers/AI are becoming more human like. Perhaps in the future we will have to take lessons on how to be "human" from the very machines we've created.

"Computer, define 'compassion'..."

"Compassion, a human trait that died out in the early mid 22nd century. Characteristics of which include caring for others without an expected benefit.."

We're already letting technology babysit our children. Have you seen how many views those toy unboxing videos get on Youtube?!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

"Computer, define 'compassion'..."

"Compassion, a human trait that died out in the early mid 22nd century. Characteristics of which include caring for others without an expected benefit.."

That was a definite LOL moment

The sad thing is that it could turn out to be truer than we would like. Maybe that's what we have to do is have a society that runs on compassion for others because machines will be running everything else. I actually created a thread on that many years ago. here it is if anyone is interested
A social system run on compassion

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Computers are becoming more like computers every day that passes. Only one day in the future can we hope to have a human computer that can surpass the mightiest computer computer, and out compute it, so that in the future no future computer can out compute the human.

Amen.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
How we will beat the machines:

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom
That's it!!! If the machines get too big for their briches we'll just tell them to analyze some paradoxical logic loop. HAHAHA!!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This kind of tech is bad for regular people whom are not part of the true "Owners of Capital" class. These scientists need to be stopped, by cutting off their funding and PHYSICALLY disrupting of their research. SOMETHING needs to be done to intervene, NOW, they are already too far along because this tech can be used VERY effectively, to further our indentured servitude.

How is that you may ask?

Remember when cell phones were actually fun?

I do, the phone was a huge and needed to be carried in a bag, BUT my boss NEVER called me on it, after what was considered typical work hours and certainly never to ask me to do more work while I was at home. Compare that to today, when a cell phone in your pocket can spontaneously generate more work to be done outside of the office, simply because someone higher up than you had a random thought at midnight.

Now how does this scenario play into life-extension tech, AI and the Singularity?

Right now most Americans are expected to and are coerced by employment requirements to buy/finance a car, buy/finance education, buy/finance healthcare, buy/finance insurance and eventually buy/finance a home of some kind.

What do you think the "Owners of Capital" will do when life-extension tech and AI become mainstream commercial products?

They will simply coerce people to buy and subsidize it, even if the recipient doesn't want to have the procedure done or doesn't buy the AI device, AND, the methods used to coerce the general populace in the United States, will not require any additional lobbying or law changes on the behalf of the "Owners of Capital".

Imagine a world where life-extension and AI tech is sold and financed to regular people, over long repayment periods, to people that don't have the ability to pay for it, in cash, up front. Similar to a cars, education or home mortgages.

Want to opt-out? Sure you have the "choice" to do anything you want. We are a "free country" after all. BUT, imagine for a moment, the unfolding of the following fictional scenarios, resulting from a person "choosing" to NOT have the life-extension procedure or refuses to buy a self driving AI car:

Do you want health insurance? Sorry, but we don't insure people whom have not had the life-extension procedure and/or don't own and AI car. However, there is another provider that we can refer you to that will, with a high deductible and high premium, so as to reduce the coverage risk of your shorter life span and higher risk of accidents, to the provider.

Want to get a job? Sorry, but we don't hire people whom have not had the life-extension procedure and/or do not have an AI car, they cost more to insure and are uninsurable in some cases. We don't consider this discrimination, however, because its no different than requiring you to have a certain model car or a driver license. Especially with the Supreme Court declaring that those refusing the life-extension procedure or use AI tech are not disabled, nor are a protected class.

Do you need a credit card or a business loan? Sorry, but we have to charge you a higher interest rate because our actuaries have found that people whom have not had the life-extension procedure and/or don't drive AI cars are a higher risk, have higher unemployment rates and have lower profit margins, due to a shorter life expectancy.

Do you need a bank account or cell/internet/communication service plan? Sorry, but we don't open accounts to people whom have not had the life-extension procedure and/or don't drive AI cars, they cost significantly more to service, due to not being plugged directly into the system.

Need any more examples?

Remember this is America, we have no labor protection, no union representation and no access to collective bargaining. In situations like this we are sheep to be slaughtered. Mark my words, Europeans will fare MUCH better when such tech becomes reality.

When my parents were in school in the 1950's and 60's they were told: no one would have to work in the future, that everything would be done by robots and they would, in turn, have increased free time used for creating, making art, learning and helping others...

Robotics, the singularity, cell regeneration and AI are essentially the same lie, told to our parents, rehashed for a 21st century audience. I think its funny when regular people get excited about future tech like the Singularity, AI, Robotics, etc. Do people really think when these thing finally become real, functioning, working designs, applicable to industry, that we the "peons", will somehow ALL get a Data from Start Trek or a C-3PO from Star Wars, to help us at home, at the job site or in the office, etc?

In reality we are going to get a David 8 from Prometheus/Aliens or the Robot Probation officer seen in Elysium. They are going to take away jobs and make unethical policing and policy enforcement, both easier and cheaper, for the true "Owners of Capital". They won't be paying a salary to the robot worker, so the savings will instead be pumped into legal fees and political lobbying, resulting in an overall savings and good ROI for the corporations/governments and a full blown, loss of liberty, for everyone else.

Whom goes to jail when an AI robot or Mind Clone pulls your arm out of the socket? Will it be considered "negligence by the human that lost the arm", a "civil suit", "not a criminal act", etc, in court/arbitration? I personally at this point are willing to live with 1980's +/- era tech, if it means, I am more free and can continue to earn money to live off.

Elysium Probation Officer:
fourthdimensionalrecovery.files.wordpress.com...

Introducing David 8:
www.weylandindustries.com...

In the words of David 8: “I can do almost anything that could possibly be asked of me, including things that my human counterparts might find distressing or unethical”

Sounds swell, don't it!

The only way regular people can save themselves, NOW, is to abandon tech, physically impede tech research and stop buying/supporting companies making this AI/singularity tech.

First, AI is going to make regular people jobless
Second, it is going to steal what few liberties and freedoms we have left
Third, it will make human life valueless to the true "Owners of Capital", many of whom are Closeted Fascists
edit on 24-2-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
As we run out of food, it won't belong before you get little blue and yellow squares touted because of their high bio-availability.

Yes, and that's because **cough**soylentgreen**cough** it's made of people!

An expedient way to deal with the underemployed and the food problem in one stroke.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talltexxxan Google being the front runner in the non military/government sect. Their "Google X" program is the equivalent to government black budget programs. Over the past couple of years they have acquired a good number of companies in these fields. Below is a link to those companies.
List of Google mergers (it gets interesting beginning in March of 2013)

Good link. I think this is just Google enacting their plan to be as evil as they can be...oh, I mean 'not evil' sorry.

Of course maybe they mean 'not be evil' to Google?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
DEY TUK YER JUB !!!

new topics

top topics

join