It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'merica

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
'merica
'mericans
Uhmerica
Uhmericans

Derogatory and obnoxious.

It's no different than calling the French 'frogs'.
It's no different than calling Canada CanYaDa and calling Canadians Seal F'ers
It's no different than calling Germans a bunch of adolfs or germs.
It's no different than calling Europeans a bunch of eurinals.
ETC ETC

I see that term 'merica tossed around here and social media like it's the newest cool thing to do to trash Americans. Well .. it's not cool or hip, and the insinuation is not accurate. The word is a slur based on nationality and/or politics.

To you people who use this wording ... you have freedom of speech so you can show your bigotry and use it ... but don't go getting all insulted if someone tosses derogatory and obnoxious slurs at you and/or your country, slurs based on your ethnicity or culture or country. For you to do so would be hypocritical.

I'm sure the haters will show up proclaiming crap about 'mericans.
They'll attempt, and fail, to show how the slur is earned.
But bigoted nastiness can't be explained away.
The intent is clear. A slur is a slur. And this is a slur.

There. Rant over.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Yea but it's different because it's 'merica. It's super cool and hip to do it and it shows how witty they are.

I've noticed that it's often times the same people who will pop into a thread titled "*insert random country here* did this one thing over the weekend" and will immediately start telling everybody how 'merica did the same thing once so we can't talk about anybody else doing it. Because for some reason we are only allowed to discuss what America does and everybody else is taboo to discuss. Unless it's discussing how they only did something because it's America's fault.

Because we're super witty and cool like that

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Well said, S&F for FF!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I think the term came from Americans.

Personally not fussed, I get called stuff cos I'm a Brit all the time.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
No. Nonononoooo.

It's UhMUriCA (pronounced on the up-letters). Otherwise it could be mistoken for other american countries (you know, Mexico etc.).

Take that for "germs"!

Edit: S&F for nice thread.
edit on 2 2 2015 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
What a huge first world problem you have here, sadly there is no more disrespectful culture towards others than American
edit on 2-2-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
What a huge first world problem you have here, sadly there is no more disrespectful culture towards others than American

What a first world attitude you have

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I'm Americanized

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

First world-ed maybe. We hardly have a lock on that.

Though I know admitting that is hard in the midst of hating America specifically

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

What you've failed to realize is that the vast majority of people who write: " 'merica!!" Are Americans themselves and they are doing it in jest. Tongue-in-cheek if you will.

I see it all the time from my racing buddies on Facebook, just having a laugh about things.

Don't be that guy who always wants to jump at the chance to be offended at something.

I've traveled over 30 countries and found the world to be full of incredibly normal nice people who are often as open minded about Americans as I am about their cultures.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny
What you've failed to realize is that the vast majority of people who write: " 'merica!!" Are Americans themselves and they are doing it in jest. .

I 'fail to realize' nothing with this.
Some are Americans kidding around.
Most are not. It's a slur.

ETA - when some Americans use it, it reminds me of black people using the 'n' word about themselves. It's a senseless thing to do.

edit on 2/2/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Personally I don't think your comparisons are valid.

As much the term Murica is useless...

It's not even close to frogs, adolfs, or seal f'ers...

No way is it!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Meh. I think what is desperately needed in this world is teaching kids in school about being 'offended'. It is impossible to get through life being unoffended and instead of politically correct over the top nonsense, we all need to learn how to take a slur, insult, or otherwise. People call me all sorts of things, I always here kids saying things and laughing after I roll past them. But if I got so offended each time I'd be miserable.

We all need to learn to just have a laugh, sometimes at our own expense. Sometimes it hurts. Well, life hurts - people can be vile. People set themselves on fire to make a point, people do naked protests, people refuse to shower for weeks and get on packed trains.

Life is messy and damn ugly at times. Being offended is part of being human. How do you know what you like without being offended? You don't like being called Muricans, I understand, but is it really that offensive? You should hear how us Aussies talk to each other, you don't last long without a thick skin here in some pubs I can tell you.

Time to start teaching a balanced curriculum instead of this crazy "I'm so offended, you made a joke about the colour red!" generation, teach them that life is full of things that will upset you. Deal with it. Isis is flipping cutting peoples heads off, kids are starving, jobs are scarce! Are you REALLY offended? A friendly jibe upsets you that much? Anyway, I'm having a rant in your rant, hope I didn't offend you too much!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
'merica is a slur pretty much stating that Americans are stupid/backwoods.
There are a lot of slurs about Muslims and those in Islamic countries.
Slurs about how backwards they all are ... and slurs about what they wear.
I'm sure you've heard them. Want me to list them?

Nasty derogatory slurs.
SAME/SAME.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys
hope I didn't offend you too much!

Nope. No worries. It takes a lot to offend me. You didn't cross that line.

This rant is to point out that it is really mindless bigotry, not cleverness, to use those derogatory slurs about America and/or Americans. A slur based on nationality, ethnicity, culture, etc is a slur .. no matter how cute or clever the bigot thinks they are being.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

No not the same...

While I agree it's a slur...

You're not being likened to an animal, or a genocidal racist despot, & you certainly aren't being labelled as someone into beastiality.

Singularly, calling someone a d'head is a slur...
But if you call someone the C word it's customarily accepted to be a much worse slur...

There's levels to this...

I agree with the premise, just not the comparisons.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
No not the same...

'merican = dumb back woods dweller (no matter how smart they are or where they live, everyone is a dumb back woods hick)

towel head, sand monkey = dumb desert dwellers (no matter how smart they are or where they live, everyone is a dumb camel riding idiot)

Same/same.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Some words mean the same but carry more weight than others so although a slur is a slur not all slurs are the same offensive

is silly = imbecile ??

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Well, we need a way to differentiate the people from the USA from all the others in America, Canadians, Mexicans, Peruvians, etc, etc, etc. We cant really call you Americans because you might find it offensive to be in the same category as Mexicans, and so on.... So, give yourself a proper name, that would indicate where you come from, and then we might stop calling you 'muricans...

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

So the slur 'merica is less bad then the slur towel head? Why? Because it's saying Americans are stupid hicks and it's open season on Americans but to say those slurs against Muslims is politically incorrect? 'merica is a slur right up there with the others I just listed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join