It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'merica

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
So when sports teams adopt Native American monikers like "Braves" "RedSkins" "Chiefs" etc. is it derogatory, mocking, insulting and when the NAs complain are they just being overly sensitive? And should they do what a Mod told me to do..."Grow a thicker skin"

I thought the Native Americans weren't complaining? I'll have to go look that up. If the leadership of those groups complain, then it should be changed.

I always saw the naming of those sports teams as a compliment of sorts. Sports teams are supposed to be tough and be winners, that kind of thing. And to name yourself after a group was kind of complimenting them that they have the characteristics or the power to win. Sports teams dont' name themselves for losers or for the weak. IMHO

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale
Not one example or even a made up one to get your point across.... not one example provided that I have seen in this thread or even a hypothetical example to really illustrate your point, sorry if I missed it if you have.

Opening post. I see it the same as calling Europeans a bunch of eurinals, Chinese 'chinks'. Etc.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Sports teams dont' name themselves for losers or for the weak

~Denies her favourite team in Australia is called the Sydney Swans
~

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
I'm pretty sure that's been done in the past, you could check. A thread on people not liking the term 'illegal alien'. It's a legal term so I think that's where it comes from. Not an outer space thing. But go ahead if you want.

Methinks it's pretty hypocritical that you come in here whinging about a term you see as derogatory yet making light of (i.e. completely dismissing) a term we find derogatory.
edit on 3/2/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
Methinks it's pretty hypocritical that you come in here whinging about a term you see as derogatory yet making light of (i.e. completely dismissing) a term we find derogatory.

How exactly did I make light of a term that you find derogatory? No where.

I said to go ahead and make a thread about it if you wish.
I said it's been discussed here so there might be one to check.
I said I think it came from a legal term.

Where EXACTLY did I make light of 'alien'? No where.
Go make your thread. Fine by me.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
So when sports teams adopt Native American monikers like "Braves" "RedSkins" "Chiefs" etc. is it derogatory, mocking, insulting and when the NAs complain are they just being overly sensitive? And should they do what a Mod told me to do..."Grow a thicker skin"

I thought the Native Americans weren't complaining? I'll have to go look that up. If the leadership of those groups complain, then it should be changed.

Many of my Native American friends see it as Racist stereotyping. I live on the edge of 3 pueblos and 1 rez.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Most other countries call foreigners 'immigrants' and 'illegal immigrants'. As far as I'm aware America is the only country that calls them 'aliens'.

Legal term or no legal term it's still insulting to the highest order and you're brushing it off lightly with a 'it's a legal term' is a cop-out in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
My mothers mother was Algonquin. We didn't keep any tribal ties, otherwise I'd go ask in person. I can only go by what I've heard and read but honestly, I haven't kept up with if people are upset or not.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Legal term or no legal term it's still insulting to the highest order and you're brushing it off lightly with a 'it's a legal term' is a cop-out in my opinion.

Absurd. You are just looking for a fight with me where there isn't one.
I simply stated where I thought it came from.
Like I said .. go start a thread on it if you wish. Fine by me.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale
Not one example or even a made up one to get your point across.... not one example provided that I have seen in this thread or even a hypothetical example to really illustrate your point, sorry if I missed it if you have.

Opening post. I see it the same as calling Europeans a bunch of eurinals, Chinese 'chinks'. Etc.

Eurinal as in urinal where one goes to urinate?

Some of these are clear insults yet can be taken quite lightly by many that they are directed at, It boggles my mind that words which we (average people) give meaning to can be taken so harshly by others that hear them.

Are any of the words you brought up anywhere in an English dictionary to get their proper meaning?

If not I can change what I think Merika means to be a proud person full of love in their hearts that live in the states and saying it is another way of saying I Love where you come from, it only has the meaning it has is because of the ones interpretation of the word. people take offence then haters have found a button they can push to get a rise out of another.

That doesn't illustrate your point to many it seems when reading the thread, just illustrates your interpretation of what others are insinuating when using the term.

Most use the others terms you also highlighted at cultures that are different from ones own in my experience, the one you are ranting about is a majority of Americans using towards other Americans.

I know if you give an example you saw online or even create another one just hypothetically that many will just debate its your interpretation and simply the way you see things because it seems you are ranting about the term being used in general and not towards you personally, maybe you are unsure about your own interpretations yourself so that is why you wont really illustrate your point.

I don't know, I'm just rambling.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

How is it absurd? Seriously?

You have created a thread whinging about the use of a particular term, yet when others come in and point out terms which are used against us and you don't seem to find as being derogatory suddenly it's absurd?

Wow. Just.....wow.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I don't get what the big deal is.

I'm Australian, and i don't give a damn if someone refers to my country as 'Straya rather than Australia. Similarly, i think most Americans don't care about people calling them 'Mericans. I consider both to be terms used in jest. After all, they are only words...words primarily used in a situation where one is making light of a situation or satirising something.

I don't see any harm in the words, and i don't see any reason to dwell on such things.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

yet when others come in and point out terms which are used against us and you don't seem to find as being derogatory suddenly it's absurd?

Stop it.
YOUR statement that I'm brushing it off is what is absurd. Not the term.
And I made no statement one way or the other about the term.
Go start your thread.
edit on 2/3/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Thread has run its course.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join