It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discuss this story!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
This is my very first OP Topic. I would like a friendly discussion and or debate about this story I read today. I put emphasis on FRIENDLY in hopes that people's intelligence and curious nature can engage in an entertaining and/or enlightening conversation. I would love it if my very first thread is considered relevant and useful rather than a trolled out flame fest. Thank you and wish me luck!

As a Christian, I love this story. I must admit, I do not know the author aside from the name. I do not know whether they are Christian, Muslim, Jew, or other. I believe it gives perspective and alludes to, in a caring way, other subjects that are very taboo in many circles. Tell me what you think.

In a mother’s womb were two babies. One asked the other: “Do you believe in life after delivery?” The other replied, “Why, of course. There has to be something after delivery. Maybe we are here to prepare ourselves for what we will be later.”
“Nonsense” said the first. “There is no life after delivery. What kind of life would that be?”

The second said, “I don’t know, but there will be more light than here. Maybe we will walk with our legs and eat from our mouths. Maybe we will have other senses that we can’t understand now.”

The first replied, “That is absurd. Walking is impossible. And eating with our mouths? Ridiculous! The umbilical cord supplies nutrition and everything we need. But the umbilical cord is so short. Life after delivery is to be logically excluded.”

The second insisted, “Well I think there is something and maybe it’s different than it is here. Maybe we won’t need this physical cord anymore.”

The first replied, “Nonsense. And moreover if there is life, then why has no one has ever come back from there? Delivery is the end of life, and in the after-delivery there is nothing but darkness and silence and oblivion. It takes us nowhere.”

“Well, I don’t know,” said the second, “but certainly we will meet Mother and she will take care of us.”

The first replied “Mother? You actually believe in Mother? That’s laughable. If Mother exists then where is She now?”

The second said, “She is all around us. We are surrounded by Her. We are of Her. It is in Her that we live. Without Her this world would not and could not exist.”

Said the first: “Well I don’t see Her, so it is only logical that She doesn’t exist.”

To which the second replied, “Sometimes, when you’re in silence and you focus and you really listen, you can perceive Her presence, and you can hear Her loving voice, calling down from above.” - Útmutató a Léleknek

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Cool. Something I have not heard of. Thanks for sharing this, I like it. The parallels are obvious.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Faith.

Is the question geared towards God, Jesus or some other spiritual belief.

To each his own. Follow your own path towards spiritual realization. Some find it, some don't.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Those are some very philosophical fetuses.
I see that it is comparing death to birth.
We will all find out.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: oldworldbeliever

Not really sure a question is being posed and I don't really think unborn babies think in these sorts of terms anyway, but it's interesting to wonder: What if they did?

You are right, though, some do find it and others don't, but how sad for those that don't. I don't mean in a "You'll burn in hell" sorta way. I have plenty of atheist and non Abrahamic spiritualist type friends, family, and loved ones. Seems like, these days, it's getting harder to find people who believe what I do anyway. But what I mean is, how sad for those people who feel like their is no outside purpose for life other than to keep breathing and while they are doing it, surround themselves with all the things they like.

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate the input. So far so good!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kusinjo
a reply to: oldworldbeliever

Not really sure a question is being posed and I don't really think unborn babies think in these sorts of terms anyway, but it's interesting to wonder: What if they did?

You are right, though, some do find it and others don't, but how sad for those that don't. I don't mean in a "You'll burn in hell" sorta way. I have plenty of atheist and non Abrahamic spiritualist type friends, family, and loved ones. Seems like, these days, it's getting harder to find people who believe what I do anyway. But what I mean is, how sad for those people who feel like their is no outside purpose for life other than to keep breathing and while they are doing it, surround themselves with all the things they like.

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate the input. So far so good!

Why is that sad? It simply means that they are self-directed rather than other-directed. Isn't it enough to enjoy life?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Those are some very philosophical fetuses

Now if only they remember more of their past life reincarnations as they grow up. Save them a lot of time and angst.

To the OP great story and much wisdom.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Yes, it is enough to enjoy life. But what if you don't? Why is enjoying life so often described as having awesome stuff. I'm not saying you need God to enjoy life. This thread is more about exploring spiritualism. Human beings, after all, are spiritual creatures. You don't have to be a Christian to admit that. And you can be an atheist and still experience it.
So, ask yourself that question. Why is it sad? Why do some people feel that the only way they can be fulfilled is by surrounding themselves with cool toys and materials that only affect your physical senses. I have seen, in my life, awesome things. I once saw a homeless man beaming with joy. Why? What did he have to be joyful about. Robin Williams hung himself in his bedroom. WHY? What was so bad that he couldn't bare another second? If you don't nurture your spirit with positivity, than you will nurture it with negativity instead.

Thanks for your interest, Tangerine!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Thank You very much for your kindness!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Yes, it is enough to enjoy life. But what if you don't? Why is enjoying life so often described as having awesome stuff. I'm not saying you need God to enjoy life. This thread is more about exploring spiritualism. Human beings, after all, are spiritual creatures. You don't have to be a Christian to admit that. And you can be an atheist and still experience it.
So, ask yourself that question. Why is it sad? Why do some people feel that the only way they can be fulfilled is by surrounding themselves with cool toys and materials that only affect your physical senses. I have seen, in my life, awesome things. I once saw a homeless man beaming with joy. Why? What did he have to be joyful about. Robin Williams hung himself in his bedroom. WHY? What was so bad that he couldn't bare another second? If you don't nurture your spirit with positivity, than you will nurture it with negativity instead.

Thanks for your interest, Tangerine!

No, this thread is not about exploring spiritualism. It is you ramping up to proselytize Christianity. You're in the warm-up phase now. The Scripture and threats of Hell will soon follow. Or, perhaps you'll realize that we've heard it all before and actually engage in conversation. I hope it's the latter but i'm not holding my breath. I've read your posts on other threads.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   
the story tells me: All we know is that we don't know nothing. Same with the fetuses.

Believing in something other than here is one thing. Believing in a specific religion is quite another, especially given most of their historical track records. Men really do crazy # in the name of religion. Why is that?

Personally, the story is insulting to me. It seems often religion likes wrap the true mysteries in doublespeak and offers only the most laymen of knowledge to their followers. Why is that?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   

I'm afraid you don't know me very well tangerine. I'm no doomsayer. You follow your own path, friend. I wish you peace on it!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I agree with your first statement Ros. And to some degree, with your second. I don't know why men do the crazy stuff they do in the name of religion or in any name for that matter. I am pretty sure if religion wasn't a factor they would still be prone to do the crazy stuff they do anyway. I have a feeling that we will find out the answer to that question soon enough, anyhow.

I'm sorry you feel insulted by my post, that was not my intention. I invited intelligent discussion only, I was not asking people to tell me why coming across this made them feel personally attacked. I don't ask anyone to follow me and in this thread I am not offering any knowledge. Only my thoughts and opinions. Do feel free to stay if you want to hear them. Or not. As I said to Tangerine, you follow your own path, friend. I wish you peace on it.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

a reply to: Rosinitiate

I agree with your first statement Ros. And to some degree, with your second. I don't know why men do the crazy stuff they do in the name of religion or in any name for that matter. I am pretty sure if religion wasn't a factor they would still be prone to do the crazy stuff they do anyway. I have a feeling that we will find out the answer to that question soon enough, anyhow.

I'm sorry you feel insulted by my post, that was not my intention. I invited intelligent discussion only, I was not asking people to tell me why coming across this made them feel personally attacked. I don't ask anyone to follow me and in this thread I am not offering any knowledge. Only my thoughts and opinions. Do feel free to stay if you want to hear them. Or not. As I said to Tangerine, you follow your own path, friend. I wish you peace on it.

Not insulted by your post or what you are trying to get from this discussion. Rather, the crafty story just reminds me of how the church wraps a message in a story using doublespeak to convince the reader it is true. The story was elegant, even touching. Which I guess is my point, an intentional tug of the heart strings but I digress.

I do agree with its oversimplistic analogy and the parallel is nice.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Im reminded of this: Same message, just without the heart strings.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing, interesting story!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I'm not sure what there is to discuss. It's nothing more than that: a story. How about this story:

2 matchsticks are sitting in a box. One of them says to the other "do you believe in life after death?" "Why of course I do", it replies. "When our time comes and we must step from this mortal box we shall spend eternity with our beloved Creator". Not long after one was plucked from the comfort of it's box and struck against the side. Consumed with fire, the match burnt according to the physical processes that govern this world, disappearing in a puff of smoke that had no more significance than a drop of rain in a thunderstorm. The end.
edit on 2-2-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Babies with the intellect featured in the story would realise that the meaty sack they exist in belonged to at least one other living creature and so 'life after birth' or whatever would be expected.

As a human, I found the story to be quite absurd.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Kusinjo

Love the analogy!
Thanks for sharing it. To bad so many will not consider a relationship with Jesus in this way.

Evils of man made religion and satan convincing people he doesn't exist have blinded many to considering the truth.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

funny side note: that would make fleas pagans.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join