It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle government now going through citizens’ trash for public shaming, revenue

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
People aren't going to change their habits unless they are nudged. It is to easy to just throw away everything into the can. If given the choice, most people are to lazy to simply separate their rubbish.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ALiCCE
People aren't going to change their habits unless they are nudged. It is to easy to just throw away everything into the can. If given the choice, most people are to lazy to simply separate their rubbish.
You'd be surprised at the degree of compliance once the system is in place. We also have a two-bag or container maximum for garbage...more than that and you have to affix a sticker which the city sells for $2 a pop. No limit for recycling. That and waste diversion are positive actions that are well within an individual's ability. Beat's having to battle a dump being plunked down beside you...and I've fought that fight, too.
edit on 28-1-2015 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because!

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The subject of this thread most definitely caught my eye. I am a vehement supporter of the concept that your business is your business and nobody elses. My father took our family to Alaska in 1970 in an effort to live a private life. Back then, the average population was roughly 2 people per square mile of land in Alaska. I cannot think of a more sparsely populated state in the union than Alaska at that time. Whereas town and cities have the bulk majority of residents and surely the population has grown since 1970, I would think that you could live in a situation similar to what I did even with today's population.

The last home I remember living in in Alaska, our closest neighbor was a mile away. A mile away. Privacy was indeed a bulk commodity at the time.

I read your post. But I had a hunch there was a bit more to the story. After digging a bit for less then three or so minutes, and following the sources in each article back to the Seattle government website, I found the following out.

Apparently, Seattle passed a law (which it's citizens voted for), that due to waste collection and dumping ground issues, they decided to implement a composting scenario. Food was to be communally collected in separate containers not unlike recyclables in alot of cities today. Here are some links to the details of the plan on the Seattle city website....

What's Accepted as Food and Yard Waste (for composting as to eliminate overall waste site volume)

And here is a general FAQ regarding the situation on their website as well....

Food Waste Requirement Frequently Asked Questions

Now, largely due to my upbringing, I am one for conservation. I personally believe in the concepts of composting greatly. Had I been a citizen of the city of Seattle, I would have voted yes on this measure. I would have actively worked to garner votes in it's favor as well amongst friends and family.

Everyone wants to jump on a bandwagon. I originally thought this was a violation of privacy through "public shaming" as it was put due to visibly marking the trashbins.

However, if you follow the chain of logic I did as well as the source of information, I feel there is a probability you may start to see it in a different light as I now do.

Please, dig in.

-NF

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
maybe it's one of those things where 'I wanted this but I never imagined it would end up as this'.
tyranny is often incremental. is tyranny too strong a word?

or maybe some sheep like being penned.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Stormtroopers bottomfeeding at a bin near you. Seriously whats the world coming to?

I wonder what crap justification they will come up with to prosecute a zealous recycler/mulcher who gets food scraps from restaurant bins.

WTF - The Statue of Liberty should really be pulled down in light of what the USA stands for today
edit on 29-1-2015 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ALiCCE

Exactly. I do not have the time nor the inclination to split my refuse up three ways and hold them in three seperate containers in my little one bedroom apartment. And if I lived in a home I would sue the city after my first violation. Once garbage hits the curb it is public property you say? Prove that it was my trash and someone didn't put it there. How was it measured? Did the garbage man measure it on the street? By what standards? If not did he contain it securely and send it to a secure location for proper measurement by a qualified person? What if I had a family gathering the day before trash night ? Do you expect me to hold onto 12 peoples worth of food waste? (Bones, tendons, little bits of meat that are hard to chew, cucumber ends, Apple cores, orange peelings, potato peelings) What if I have food that has gone bad? What if I make a dish I decide I don't like or can't eat? I can't donate half eaten chicken that I don't like the spices on, what about food that has fallen on the floor I just mopped with Pine-Sol just rinse it off and call it good?

How did this law pass without a public hearing, 10% is an awfully small amount. This regulation is completely asinine. Once upon a time, after looking at pictures and reading about the scenery and area around Seattle I wanted to move their but with recent BS laws being passed, like this and the new, completely unenforceable gun laws, I'll move elsewhere.

Hell in a hand basket.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258
I'll bet Seattle has an FAQ that would respond to most of your rant. Though there are some things that just can't be fixed.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
They needed an excuse to go through your trash for information. Of course, they found a way to cover that up. Sounds extra ridiculous! What you eat and what you don't eat is your own business! That's not American.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join