It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Amazing How-To Sites to Teach Yourself Anything

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: safetymeeting

i think it depends on your degree...my degree is in science and ill never have access to scientific instruments at home...but lets face it...you could get a history degree from home just reading stuff....but the beauty of a university is finding those few professors that can really help guide you but not every student comes across that...

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I've been thinking about it. But it means tidying up for the photos.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I wonder if there's a site to help people rehab from the www. and actually go out and do something productive.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

edit on 11/25/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: marc72

If you ever do and I miss it please send me a link via u2u

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Thank you for this. I will mark this to check later.

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: olaru12

What about sites designed to keep people from spewing vitriol in everyone's thread topics and anonymously and randomly commenting complete nonsense daily?

I was talking about myself.....

Why are you so sensitive?
edit on 25-11-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

If you ever do and I miss it please send me a link via u2u

No problem

posted on Nov, 25 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Thats what you get when you cram peoples heads with useless information.

Listen... i can retain information better then most people, but theres a limit to what i can retain and most of it is stuff i need to retain.

For instance... i have 2 marketable skills. I can set tile, install hardwood and laminate floors and im a boxing/mma instructor. I dont have anymore room in my head to learn anyother skills. I used to know some programming learned some python, html, c and all of it. I stopped because i just dont have the patience to learn anymore complicated and intricate skillsets.

You are right, we do not have unlimited memory storage and the more sequences or trades you learn the less memorizing you can do. Sequence memorization takes a lot of brain cells.

The Colleges fill our minds with crap we will never probably use so we can't think on our own because they are using all the processing memory on things like using remote controls and memorizing patterns that aren't really necessary.

It's all about conditioning.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Now that is the positive engagement
of the internet.

Thanks for sharing.

S&F

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Thanks for the link, a lot of great websites!

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I think you're mistaking a college degree for education. You pay for the degree--you can get the education anywhere for relative pennies these days outside of universities (and probably a better education, too).

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It is becoming easier for people to educate themselves but I think really the biggest problem is the cost of the actual accreditation. Yes you can teach yourself amazing things for free but without that degree from an actual institution it doesn't really lead anywhere.

They are a fantastic resource for someone already in school / able to afford school but if you can't foot the bill in the first place all the free education in the world doesn't help someone actually move up the economic ladder without the proper credentials.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

A quick tip for when you cut too short. Leave the pencil mark. Many want to cut right through it or even behind it, but then you're cutting, depending on the width of your saw blade, an 1/8 too much. Cut on the outside edge.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: safetymeeting
Good on ya, I am currently in my mid 20's trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do with my life. Did two years of school about 4 years ago and I've been building concrete precast buildings in Seattle ever since. Do I continue to build this world and learn my craft, do I go back to school for that lousy piece of paper that has no guarantees, do I get a job that won't destroy my back. It's always been so hard for people to understand what life is about, it's not about the money and the job. It's about the day to day experiences that you will take with you to the grave, the people you touch and what makes you happy. It has been an uphill battle for me learning what this puzzle is all about, but as I climb it gets easier to see the big picture.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 25, been going to community college for almost 2 years now, and not exactly sure what I wanna do yet...I have some ideas, but I change my mind so frequently!

it sucks how you need a piece of paper to tell employers what you know...even though you have no experience!

in Germany, I know that college students have to work in their chosen fields to get a feel for it. The US education system is a joke.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

College is becoming a must. True, you can learn everything you need to learn outside of college, and information will often have a different bias attached, but it is becoming so commonplace that you need a college degree to compete for even lower-end jobs. A high-school diploma is becoming more like a GED, and a bachelors degree is becoming more like a high-school diploma.

It's sad but true. I agree that most college curriculum is designed to influence one's thought and ideology. That's why we need people like you to go through college and earn masters and PhDs because they'll see through the crap and help fix things.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Thats funny... cant tell you how often i see fresh grads having to be trained on the job.

College is an advertising ploy, real learning happens on the job with experience. Apprenticeships is where its really happening.

While I agree, that college paper gets you in the door.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnFisher

Interesting perspective man.

Hmmm..

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Thanks maybe this information well help me gain some useful skills and find my calling in this world if I'm able to suck up this knowledge.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join