It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you happy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
God created us to be happy. If you are not happy, you are something else. This something else is ego.

If you see unhappiness in someone else or anywhere in the world, this is ego perceiving itself. If you are happy only at the expense of someone else, this is ego attacking itself.

If ego realized it was seeing merely itself, instead of seeing this person or that situation, its foundation would collapse.

Now I am not accusing you of unhappiness as if it were some kind of crime. The ego in me would simply be attacking the ego in you. Accusing you would make "my" ego feel better this time, while reinforcing unhappiness (ego) in general.

I might think I am happy until the next time I feel like I have been accused or found guilty of something. This isn't happiness but only a hunkering down between artillery salvos.

So if you are not in a state of happiness right now, even if its not your fault or it is out of your control, you are in the condition we call ego.

How you get out of ego is another question. That parts a little tricky. However I have heard there are ways...

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: fc487

Are any of us truly happy?

What is "happy"? A state of mind? A state of physicality, I.e. monetary wealth? Is it a oneness with the Creator? Is it believing in a Creator? Is it disbelieving a Creator? I don't believe in pure happiness. All we can really do is hang on and try to make the best of every day as best as we can.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Symptoms of happiness include a feeling of lightness and joy. It is a real thing and not a deduction or induction of logic.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Indeed. But, is that "happy" or just a rush of neurochemicals. I mean, I can take a drug that induces the production of dopamine and, even though I feel "light and joyous" I am not actually happy, am I? I am just euphoric due to my increased dopamine levels.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Yes, but why do you need to take the drug in the first place? You must know that you are in a state of dissatisfaction and want to reach for the stars, if only temporarily and with nasty side effects. You take the drug because you crave something better.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Yep
I am happy

I have been unhappy.

It is what it is.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

you're right, it is.
edit on 23-11-2014 by fc487 because: addition

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
My ego is one big bear of a burden sometimes. I understand this and do my best to return to a blissful id state as often as possible. Sadly, it seems there are so many ego-layers to dig through before I am able to experience joy.

I don't mind so much because when the sunlight finally breaks through, it is the most beautiful experience words fail to describe the feeling inside.

I suspect my ego likes dumping more layers on me from time to time just so I never lose that feeling of divine radiance.

Maybe my ego knows what it's doing?

After all, I'd hate to take something a wonderful as pure joy for granted due to an overabundance of it.

edit on 11/23/14 by GENERAL EYES because: edited format, minor addition

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: fc487

Yes, but why do you need to take the drug in the first place?

Because you are not "happy".

You must know that you are in a state of dissatisfaction and want to reach for the stars, if only temporarily and with nasty side effects. You take the drug because you crave something better.

Exactly. But is it happiness? If I go out to Burger king when I'm feeling down and get a huge meal am I happy afterwards or am I just experiencing a rush of euphoria produced by the dopamine that my body made because I enjoy eating?

My point is, albeit a bit unclear, is that we can be happy all the time. Happy is just a word what we need are those neurochemicals that make us "happy" and there are A LOT of things that can get those chemicals pumping.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Your ego just likes dumping more layers on you. That's all it knows. It knows that divine radiance threatens its existence.

I'm not ready for pure joy either. Actually maybe I suddenly see your point. Ego may act as a brake on the experiencing of something we are not ready for yet. I don't think ego is actually working for this though. I think We ( whatever we are apart from ego ) invest in it for the reason you said.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Well there is a squirrel or some other small
furry legged mammal in one of my walls.

I think it is trying to camp out for the winter.

I think will be happy after that sneaky little
bastard is evicted.

As it is really unsettling at this point.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I would say that I feel mostly "secure" with who I am and what I have, and that's about it. I wouldn't say that I was "happy" and I do understand that the construct of a "self" that feels "emotions" and has "desires" due to a sense of "lacking" is a problem. Supposedly without a reference of self or "ego" one would be "happy" or experience "bliss".

That being said, I really don't want to be "happy" - most of the time I can just be content with myself and accept that there will always be things that I cannot have. You could call that "depression" however I relish it...

edit on 24-11-2014 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   

We were not created to be happy, but to raise our consciousness. Before we are born we choose what will happen in this life so we can learn from it.

That`s why the word victim doesn`t actual exist and lots of people only fool themselves with feeling subconsciously a victim (it was your own choice).

Dwayne: I wish I could just sleep until I was eighteen and skip all this crap-high school and everything-just skip it.

Frank: Do you know who Marcel Proust is?

Dwayne: He's the guy you teach.

Frank: Yeah. French writer. Total loser. Never had a real job. Unrequited love affairs. Gay. Spent 20 years writing a book almost no one reads. But he's also probably the greatest writer since Shakespeare. Anyway, he uh... he gets down to the end of his life, and he looks back and decides that all those years he suffered, Those were the best years of his life, 'cause they made him who he was. All those years he was happy? You know, total waste. Didn't learn a thing. So, if you sleep until you're 18... Ah, think of the suffering you're gonna miss. I mean high school? High school-those are your prime suffering years. You don't get better suffering than that.

Source

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
You say..."God created us to be happy. If you are not happy, you are something else. This something else is ego. "

Where is your proof that "God Created us to be happy"? What are the origins of your beliefs?

edit on 2014-11-24T08:23:27-06:00amMondayam24201411America/Chicagoam by caladonea because: add more

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I'm very happy and also an atheist.

I wonder how my perspective fits into your thought structure. I'm not interested in turning this into a "Does God Exist?" argument, because I am respectful of your beliefs, I just wonder how I can be both an atheist and happy if atheism is one of the things that deists generally point out as the epitome of ego, and as you say, I can either be Happy or be Ego.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: SystemResistor

That being said, I really don't want to be "happy" - most of the time I can just be content with myself and accept that there will always be things that I cannot have. You could call that "depression" however I relish it...

You don't sound very unhappy to me

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

We were not created to be happy, but to raise our consciousness. Before we are born we choose what will happen in this life so we can learn from it.

That`s why the word victim doesn`t actual exist and lots of people only fool themselves with feeling subconsciously a victim (it was your own choice).

Dwayne: I wish I could just sleep until I was eighteen and skip all this crap-high school and everything-just skip it.

Frank: Do you know who Marcel Proust is?

Dwayne: He's the guy you teach.

Frank: Yeah. French writer. Total loser. Never had a real job. Unrequited love affairs. Gay. Spent 20 years writing a book almost no one reads. But he's also probably the greatest writer since Shakespeare. Anyway, he uh... he gets down to the end of his life, and he looks back and decides that all those years he suffered, Those were the best years of his life, 'cause they made him who he was. All those years he was happy? You know, total waste. Didn't learn a thing. So, if you sleep until you're 18... Ah, think of the suffering you're gonna miss. I mean high school? High school-those are your prime suffering years. You don't get better suffering than that.

Source

If we have to do something to make ourselves more optimal such as raising our consciousness maybe we are not in a state or form as god created us? Reattain the state of perfection however you do it, until then suffer. I agree with you that suffering is an effective way to move the ball forward tho.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea
You say..."God created us to be happy. If you are not happy, you are something else. This something else is ego. "

Where is your proof that "God Created us to be happy"? What are the origins of your beliefs?

I wouldn't try to prove something to you that you need to experience yourself in order to understand. I have been influenced by my own experiences ( as limited as they have been) and before that: A course in miracles, the power of now, hinduism and buddhism.

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington
I'm very happy and also an atheist.

I wonder how my perspective fits into your thought structure. I'm not interested in turning this into a "Does God Exist?" argument, because I am respectful of your beliefs, I just wonder how I can be both an atheist and happy if atheism is one of the things that deists generally point out as the epitome of ego, and as you say, I can either be Happy or be Ego.

I appreciate your respect of my beliefs. I would say if you are happy, it doesn't matter whether you believe in god or not, as nothing more is needed.
edit on 24-11-2014 by fc487 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

It`s not like you have to be unhappy all the time, it`s just not the goal to chase.

The more conscious you will grow over time, the more you can appreciate things in the end.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join