It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I didn't vote!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
SO, let me get this straight...
one either chooses to participate in a broken and corrupt system;
or
one doesnt deserve a voice.
Thank GOD you werent one of the founding fathers....
Gee, if your much-vaunted founding fathers had taken that attitude, you'd be driving on the left side of the road...but you'd be drinking better beer!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
BTW this is only the 3rd election since turning 18 (I'm 44) that I haven't voted, normally I vote. But this time around I chose not to out of protests, but I will most likely vote in the future. When I was younger I voted republican then as I got older I vote democrat or the more educated I get with politics I tend to vote democrat.

I have done my protest by not participating I feel good about it, but I would rather cast my vote overall. I didn't vote when it was Obama vs McCain I didn't vote in 2010 and this last election.

I have been convinced by the arguments that I should vote in every election. I'm formulating a list of write in candidates to vote for if the ones on the ballot blows.

My disgust with this years election was shared by many across the nation, but now the republicans control the supreme court, the house and senate. I can't even imagine what the next two years of politics will look like, but with congress approval rating at all time lows they can't possibly improve this image without helping Obama improve his, and they have decided after he was first elected that they would not allow that to happen. I imagine in 2016 that we could see a record numbers of people come out to vote, because the government should be a mess within the next two years.

edit on 8-11-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

I imagine in 2016 that we could see a record numbers of people come out to vote, because the government should be a mess within the next two years.

I remember hearing that when Clinton was elected, it was to be the end of America. The government is always "a mess". It's inherent, look at the way it works. That "mess" is also called "checks and balances." The more people who are involved, the better it works.

Not voting is not a protest. It's apathy. The only message it sends is "I don't give a damn."

edit on 11/8/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Not voting is not a protest. It's apathy.

I disagree

It's a protest if you do it purposefully - it's just a protest that nobody cares about but you

So, self indulgent and ineffective probably - but not apathetic

:-)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I imagine in 2016 that we could see a record numbers of people come out to vote, because the government should be a mess within the next two years.

I remember hearing that when Clinton was elected, it was to be the end of America. The government is always "a mess". It's inherent, look at the way it works. That "mess" is also called "checks and balances."

Not voting is not a protest. It's apathy.

Most people are not aware that apathy before during and after the revolutionary war was at around 60%, similar to today. Approximately 10%-15% were Tory, and between 20% and 30% were patriots. It is what it is.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Most people are not aware that apathy before during and after the revolutionary war was at around 60%, similar to today.

Of course, there were no national elections before or during the war, were there? There was no general vote on whether or not to revolt, was there?

Perhaps you missed my point. Apathy is not protest.

Your stance is that, since you didn't like the candidates, you didn't vote on something you supposedly support. Your display of apathy did not demonstrate that support. It showed that you don't actually give a damn about minimum wage, one way or the other.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I support your decision. Fight the power..keep the protest alive...make sure to enroll all your friends.

"Get Out The Don't"
I'm going to keep exercising my right though even of I live in a state where my ideology is in the minority.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

SO, let me get this straight...
one either chooses to participate in a broken and corrupt system;
or
one doesnt deserve a voice.
Thank GOD you werent one of the founding fathers....
Gee, if your much-vaunted founding fathers had taken that attitude, you'd be driving on the left side of the road...but you'd be drinking better beer!
I dunno man, Oregon has some pretty amazing beer (not that I can drink it anymore)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I dunno man, Oregon has some pretty amazing beer (not that I can drink it anymore)
I've had a couple of Rogue products...I concur.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
BTW this is only the 3rd election since turning 18 (I'm 44) that I haven't voted, normally I vote. But this time around I chose not to out of protests'

I am not questioning the veracity of your discontent.

I am unusually certain that silence at the voting booth achieves the precise opposite of your stated goals.

edit on 10-11-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Where's the vote to eliminate money from politics?

Get the legal bribes away from the lawmakers and they might actually have an incentive to do the right thing.

Try and convince me that more than one in two people in this country want big corporations like Monsanto deciding what's best for us. I don't care how dumb people are, I simply will not believe that without some serious convincing.

Now, riddle me this... if less than half the people want that to be the case, WHY is it the case? There's simply no reason this hasn't been sorted out yet.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Good question actually. I am a member of Wolf Pack and completely convinced corporations interfering with our political system is a BIG, BIG part of the problem. I have to scratch my head at those who just don't seem to see it.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The first presidential election had a 1.3% participation rate. There is a history of apathy regarding voting, I'm not apathetic, I'm pissed off!! I don't think voting is real or makes any difference. Both the governor and the city leaders in Ferguson are making changes in there communities and it has nothing to do with voting! If the community's waited for a vote to change anything how long would they have to wait?

Oh how many times has the community vote for something then later the legislators overturn it? You really think your votes count?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

a reply to: I'm not apathetic, I'm pissed off!!
I am right with you. I suspect it's the case with the majority of non-voters. They keep throwing the apathy word around as "FACT," when in reality it has much more to do with disgust than apathy.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

Well then, you should stay out of the political forums. If you can't be bothered with voting for our future, I don't care to listen to your political rants/opinions.

Either be part of our system or STFU. Just my two round shiney copper peices...

I agree...I would go a step further, and tell them to renounce their citizenship and GTFO of America...go live where you don't have to worry about voting, due to not even having that right.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpeakerofTruth

a reply to: I'm not apathetic, I'm pissed off!!
I am right with you. I suspect it's the case with the majority of non-voters. They keep throwing the apathy word around as "FACT," when in reality it has much more to do with disgust than apathy.

low and middle income republicans liked being controlled by the extremely wealthy in our society...talk about hope....

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Nope and you don't have the power to do anything about it.

Not a supporter of free speech are you? Do you think your vote is gonna change anything you view as wrong with the US?

I guess your opinion goes for the over 60% that didn't vote?
edit on 13-11-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

There should be a box to check on the ballot that states I have no confidence in any of the candidates running for this position. If the majority vote no confidence there should be another election with different candidates.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

google:

" nevada ballot none of these candidates "

It works there !!

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Thanks!

That would be a great option for the upcoming Bush / Clinton election.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join