It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PLEASE, recommend me a good science fiction movie.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
One of my favorite 'under the radar' SciFi films is Minority Report.

For other ideas you could check out authors who have pretty much defined the genre. For example, anything by H.G. Wells. You have War of the Worlds (the original and remake) and many variations and spin offs of The Time Machine.

If you really want to go old school check out the original Day the Earth Stood Still or Fantastic Voyage.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The Martian Chronicles a mini tv series 1980

Space above and beyond.

edit on kMon, 03 Nov 2014 11:48:19 -06002014am110319201430v by KROandSOTV because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Space Precinct was a fun sci fi tv show. I'm pretty sure Gerry Anderson did it.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Don't know if it has been mentioned yet (probably not as it is one of the most unerrated films ever) but YOU HAVE to watch Cloud Atlas. Literally one of the best sci-fi movies I have seen. You will need to watch it more than once, like Donnie Darko, but it is well worth it. All star cast, great twisting plot, astonishing reveals, this flick has it all. Highly recommended.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
What about Plan Nine from Outer Space.. Dune was OK but couldn't hold a candle to the book, thet cut to much of the story line out. I think Blade Runner was a good film but I also liked Pitch Black.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Days, months and even years after I saw these movies,
I still find myself thinking about them.
Sci-fi at it's best!

La Jetee
Brazil
Primer
Pi
Stalker

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I second both Snowpiercer and The Europa Report. Both were great.

Doomsday Book is another. Foreign film so subtitles but the stories from the Doomsday Book have a really interesting mix of humor and sobriety. Very different from the norm.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Can't add much man. With what you've seen and what has been recommended(Outlander and Blade Runner were my first choices) there isn't much left in movies. I'll keep thinking though. TV? If you haven't seen them check out Farscsape. Fringe. And if you happen to be a naughty person... LEXX.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Forbidden Planet- 1959? Walter Pigeon, ANN FRANCIS, Leslie Nielson. The original "The day the Earth stood still" another 1950's classic in black and white.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I have seen a lot of sci-fies too and in order to bumb into something I haven;t seen I opened up a thread for it here.

An other way to find films of any genre is paying a visit to the IMDB. The International Movie Database. Any film lover should be aware of this site. I am told that many actors, directors and what not working in the film industry is using this site as a source for information.

I give you THIS direct link to the genre page... eat your heart out.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i think sunshine is a great and under estimated film

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Moon
Timecrimes
Coherence

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
edit;

sorry got excited because someone mentioned Lexx
edit on 3-11-2014 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Some of my favorites which you should check out if you get the chance:

The Quiet Earth - A scientist overdoses on pills and wakes up in a world where everyone else has disappeared.
en.wikipedia.org...(film)

Memories - Anime film from 1995 that is impeccably drawn with three great scifi stories.
en.wikipedia.org...(1995_film)

Gantz - An amazing manga series that finished it's run not too long ago. An ok anime mini-series. And two so-so live action films. The funny part is that all three start out the same but eventually veer off into completely different directions.
It's about these various people who die in different ways and are resurrected by a mysterious black ball called Gantz. They are then forced to hunt down extremely deadly aliens hiding out on Earth in exchange. If they can reach 100 points, they are given the option to go free.
en.wikipedia.org...

Edge of Tomorrow - The fairly new Tom Cruise film based on the great novel "All You Need is Kill". It's a bit like Groundhog Day meets Battle: Los Angeles. It is about this officer in the US Army who is knocked unconscious and forced into combat as a private. On his first mission, he dies. But is covered with alien blood which causes him to keep reliving the same day over and over again just as long as he dies every day.
en.wikipedia.org...(film)

Voices of a Distant Star - A short anime film about this girl who is selected to become a mech pilot and venture into space to destroy an alien race that attacked Earth. Throughout the film, she writes messages to her childhood friend and love interest on a cell phone. But the further out into space she goes, the longer it takes for the messages to arrive. So while she is staying young, her friend/love is not. It is also a manga. And reminded me somewhat of "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman.
en.wikipedia.org...

Soldier - The Kurt Russell film from 1998 in which Russell, an experienced soldier trained for combat from birth is considered obsolete and disposed of on a harsh garbage dump planet.
en.wikipedia.org...(1998_American_film)

Robot Jox - A definite B movie from 1990. With plenty of stop motion giant robot fights. What can I say? It's cheesy in a good way.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I just realized I'm going to take up way too much space here. So the rest of my suggestions will just be in list form.

- Miracle Mile
- They Live
- Maximum Overdrive
- No Escape
- Ghost in the Shell
- Cube
- Deep Rising
- Dark City
- Galaxy Quest
- Dreamcatcher
- Save The Green Planet!
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- Idiocracy
- Southland Tales
- Timecrimes (Spanish film)
- Triangle
- Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel
- Attack The Block
- Limitless
- Chronicle
- Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I second Fringe. Overall that series was awesome.

That and LOST are JJ Abrams at his best IMO.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Dune was OK but couldn't hold a candle to the book

Hey from one fan of Frank Herbert to another, the movie was awesome! David Lynch did a great job in my opinion. Sure, there was a lot of stuff left out that us hardcore fans of the novel can complain about. It's a solid movie though. David Lynch has that unique style that fits so well with the world of Frank Herbert. Frank Herbert was also working closely with Lynch during that production iirc, so you could say it has his seal of approval. But I would suggest to any fans of the movie to pick up the books because they are phenomenal.

The spice must flow!
edit on 11-3-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
I can do anime, but some of it is weird. I do enjoy it though. Just not an anime person.

any good anime recommendations?

Cowboy Bebop, the series. Hands down one of the best.

There is Steiners;Gate which is an interesting anime that brings CERN, and John Titor into the story. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's an awesome series but it was worth the watch imo. The whole thing is free to watch on YouTube.
edit on 11-3-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I'm sure it's been said already, but bears saying again ( if so - FTR I have taken my night meds so even if I read the replies I'd forget what I read before I got back here... )

Blade Runner. For my money best Sci-Fi movie ever.

Another good one is an old Sean Connery film called "Outland". Not many remember it, but it is excellent.

A newer film, Transcendence was also pretty good as well. Oh and I enjoyed "Moon" too.

Oh and Predators - the Adrian Brody one. That rocked as well.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
A few new-ish shows out there that aren't bad.

The 100
Intruders
Orphan Black

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join