It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative dad threatens ‘****storm’ if daughter’s world history class includes Islam

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

angry father has been banned from a Maryland high school’s campus after he made vague but ominous threats against the school because his daughter’s history homework mentioned the Islamic faith.

BayNet.com reported that La Plata High School in Charles County, Maryland has issued a No Trespass order after parent Kevin Wood — a former U.S. Marine — called the school and threatened to disrupt classes if his daughter’s world history class continued to study the religion and its impact on human history.

Wood reportedly telephoned Vice Principal Shannon Morris last Thursday enraged over a homework assignment which dealt with the formation of Middle Eastern empires centuries ago. History teacher Katie O’Malley Simpson said that the history curriculum has never been considered controversial in the past.

“The assignment has been given for years,” O’Malley-Simpson said.

La Plata High School Principal Evelyn Arnold issued a No Trespass order against Wood after hearing about the contentious call, in which Wood promised to come to the school and disrupt classes if Islam was mentioned any further.

The difference between History and Religious indoctrination seems to be lost on those who have let ideology get in the way of their common sense.

“I told her straight up ‘you could take that Muslim-loving piece of paper and shove it up your white [expletive],” Wood said on Monday. “If [students] can’t practice Christianity in school, they should not be allowed to practice Islam in school.”

Wood told Superintendent Morris that the school is violating his daughter’s “constitutional rights” and threatened to “bring down a s **it-storm on them like they’ve never seen.”

Mr. Wood should take this to court and let his grievances be known and aired in a public forum.
edit on 28-10-2014 by olaru12 because: ,ee90--9ii,

edit on Tue Oct 28 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: amended title....****

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Stupid

The class is "world History"

So no # Sherlock its going to include Islam

If the course only focused on Islam or had a pro Islam slant then id get the anger but just for covering it?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Man he is really climbing the sh*t rope with this one

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but this guy sounds like a complete loser.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This is evidence of what can happen when certain ideologies teach hatred towards people of different beliefs and faiths.

I could be wrong, but I would bet this guy is a FoxNews watching so-called "conservative".

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Poor guy.....seems he may need to go back to school as well. History class typically teaches of how Christianity came about as well......it isn't like they are reciting from a religious text. But I guess some would rather their kids be sheltered from everything and grow up to be just as ignorant as their parents.

But I can also read between the lines with the spin the article author and the school tried to put on it. Not sure how the author deemed this guy was a conservative because he doesn't want his kid being taught Islam though....sounds like a reporter wanting to make more controversy out of an already stupid situation.
edit on 10/28/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I am on his side here....Kid's can't even learn Christianity anymore but they cover Islam religions?? Even if it is just "covering" it, it is still brought up....That shouldn't be the case, if they want to speak about the location, fine, the people, fine, but the religion....NOPE!!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Beware of anyone trying to "control" history. They are either guilty of something --or an accomplice.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

I am on his side here....Kid's can't even learn Christianity anymore but they cover Islam religions?? Even if it is just "covering" it, it is still brought up....That shouldn't be the case, if they want to speak about the location, fine, the people, fine, but the religion....NOPE!!

They are not teaching religion. They are teaching history and how it was affected by the religions practiced in the region. When I was in HS it was the same way. I learned about how Christianity, Islam and other religions affected governments, war and all sorts of things.

Just because you talk about the affect it had, does not mean your are teaching the religion itself.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I went to Catholic EVERYTHING. Pre K - first year of college.

The best religious classes we had actually talked about other faiths.

This guy is probably the sort of person to consider himself a "true American". Except he acts like the other EXTREME side of the spectrum that an Extreme neo liberal occupies. This is retarded. This guy should be sent to some dictatorship somewhere where he could just "kill people" that disagree with him.

edit on 10 28 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
This is evidence of what can happen when certain ideologies teach hatred towards people of different beliefs and faiths.

I could be wrong, but I would bet this guy is a FoxNews watching so-called "conservative".

He probably even watches Fox News ?

C'mon man...That's almost as ignorant as this dad.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
It would be hard to teach about the Ottoman Empire without mentioning Islam.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

But they're not learning about Islam - they're learning about the history of the Islamic Empires. It's a different thing entirely.

It's no different to learning about the Roman or British Empires. Like it or not, they shaped the world just as much...

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

WRONG! History class still teaches the history of Christianity.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The truly sad part of this story is than now Mr. Woods daughter is going to be socially stigmatized at school because of her idiot father.

I can just imagine the cruel jabs her peers are going to rain down on her thru no fault of her own.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Seems like the determination to keep Christianity out of school while the determination to keep Islam in has ruffled a few feathers.

Can't say I blame him although he could have made his point in a more civil manner.

It's a clear double standard and is being done for political and ideological reasons.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

WRONG! Not the religion itself....Just like others are claiming above.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Not to mention it is kind of hard not to teach a little Christianity, being that when you look at the calendar it is based on Jesus...How do you explain that to kids without "teaching" something about Christianity? I am talking about being ABLE to teach kids about Christianity...Schools can't anymore, so being that everything we base time off of was from "Christianity" and we can't teach it, but the school can cover Islam religions because it is "world history class"? No, I don't buy it....Nor do I like it

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Sorry amigo, you too need to back away from Rush and Fox. Christianity is well covered in its impact on world culture in secondary school in History classes, comparative religion classes, etc.

Fail....

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Um...yeah. Just because the history is categorized under "Islam" doesn't mean that they're studying the religion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join