It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative dad threatens ‘****storm’ if daughter’s world history class includes Islam

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This guy doesn't seem to grasp what it means to practice ones religion. Simply learning about the historical impacts certain religions have had on our world is not practicing a religion.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: olaru12

Stupid

The class is "world History"

So no # Sherlock its going to include Islam

If the course only focused on Islam or had a pro Islam slant then id get the anger but just for covering it?

I wonder if "World History" class includes Christianity, besides its role in the crusades. Probably not.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
They should go ahead and teach the truth about Islam and Christianity in schools. This way the kids will realize how dark the past for both these religions was, but then again, we can't teach the truth in schools or someone might get offended.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
You can't teach history without touching on the subject of religion.

Sorry. The truth is, religion always has an impact on a place, it's people, it's governments. It's a fact of life (and history).

Learning about it is not the same as teaching it's doctrines or trying to make followers of it.

The man needs to calm down and think back to his own history classes (if he had any....which I'm in serious doubt of at this point).

How would you teach about the middle ages up through the 18th century if you didn't allow anything about the Catholic Church?

You can't.

Same goes for areas affected by Islam. It's part of history.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Not for nothing, but considering the press and amount of political interest in the ME for the last 2 decades and beyond..., I think it only makes sense to have our kids understand what the people over there are doing and what the main driving force for all that is.

Its not like this isnt school. Teach things, all things...sure.

we can't teach the truth in schools or someone might get offended.

Metallicus, Amen sir.
edit on 10 28 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Uh... the world history class was trying to teach the history of Islam, which is allowed. How about going back and rereading the article?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: olaru12

Stupid

The class is "world History"

So no # Sherlock its going to include Islam

If the course only focused on Islam or had a pro Islam slant then id get the anger but just for covering it?

I wonder if "World History" class includes Christianity, besides its role in the crusades. Probably not.

Why wouldn't it? Christianity helped shape most of the Western world (which is usually the primary focus of most western based world history classes), and yes the Crusades are part of that shaping of the world. Christianity was one of the driving factors for the colonization of the New World (ex: pilgrims), I'm sure the history class talks about the Renaissance and Martin Luther. You are just making up assumptions so you can feign offense.
edit on 28-10-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Why? You will argue with me no matter what I say because I am on the side of Christianity...We do this in every thread and why stop now? I am not wasting my time or off topic posts (other than this) to explain why I am not battling you AGAIN on religion! I said I am on his side, no need for me to explain to you anything other than that. I don't agree and don't need facts or re-reading something to form my opinion.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

The Calendar YEAR is the only thing about the Calendar based on Yeshua. (Jesus's REAL name, btw.) It's 2014 AD. That's only affect Yeshua had on the calendar.

Everything else is based on a system that came from Rome, and even the names of the days themselves are based in other religions (Roman, Nordic, specifically)

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
I don't agree and don't need facts or re-reading something to form my opinion.

That pretty much says it all then....

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

And you are on his side incorrectly. As has been stated multiple times in this thread, the class is teaching the HISTORY of Islam, which is ok. Just like teaching the HISTORY of Christianity is ok. I'm not attacking you because of your beliefs. I'm disagreeing with you because you are wrong. It's just that simple. I have nothing against teaching the history of a religion.

Also, LOL at this:

Clearly you aren't a fan of facts and truth.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The guy is a nutter. What do his political leanings have to do with it?
Every group has fringe extremists.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
TDLR version of the Ottoman Empire:

"This Empire lasted many centuries and spanned lands from northern Africa, southern Europe to over there. It was run by the people from over there. They believed things, which included allowing people to govern themselves to a limited extent, which allowed this Empire to flourish."

Good luck on Jeopardy.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

And you are on his side incorrectly. As has been stated multiple times in this thread, the class is teaching the HISTORY of Islam, which is ok. Just like teaching the HISTORY of Christianity is ok. I'm not attacking you because of your beliefs. I'm disagreeing with you because you are wrong. It's just that simple. I have nothing against teaching the history of a religion.

Also, LOL at this:

Clearly you aren't a fan of facts and truth.

Sure, I care about facts when arguing something I need to back up. My opinion of what they are teaching in a school is not one of them. I agree with the dad getting mad about the topic, end of story...No more "facts" needed for my opinion to change....Simple

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Yeah - but you're forming an opinion based on another man's (possibly willful) misunderstanding of a situation.

This bloke's kids aren't being taught about the beliefs and cultures of Islam, they're being taught about the historical importance of the Islamic Empires which shaped a good proportion of our world and - possibly more importantly - form some of the roots of the conflicts we see today.

Be honest... do you really think kids shouldn't understand why things aren't the way they are just because it mentions the dreadful 'I' word? Come on. And don't give us all the 'they don't teach about Christian history' nonsense either because Western schools teach predominently Western history - and that, quite literally, is the history of Christianity.

If you're on the 'side' of Christian history, you should be glad they learn about the other sides in it all too as it gives Christian history all the more context and importance.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I understand you're a devoted Christian, that's admirable. But I think people are trying to let you know that it's not the religion they're teaching, merely it's history. When I was in high school (A mere ten years ago), I was taught about the history of Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc when the regions of their origin was the topic of discussion. I learned a lot about many religions, and I never felt pressured or pushed in any one direction.

When they're trying to refute your line of thinking, they aren't attacking you or your religion. They're trying to get you to understand that history is a complex subject, and can't be taught without including religion, because that's part of history. No matter what religion is on topic for that assignment, it has to be taught to understand the context and culture of the region they're studying.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Facts and opinions aren't the same thing buddy. Facts support the truth regardless of opinion and the facts say that the class was teaching the history of Islam. That isn't an opinion, it's just the truth. Siding with the dad in this regard just shows you don't understand the first amendment.

Though if you support sheltering your children from other religions, maybe this isn't the country for you to live in.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I am on the side of Christianity...

Well, that's a little confusing as Christianity and the teaching of Christ are often at odds.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
What a complete jerk job!

A lack of intellect will cause such a reaction and I'm surprised he had the wherewithal to even become a Marine.

But his imperialistic vitriol is no surprise coming from someone with a far right leaning that is so engulfed in Christianity!

Anyone who wants to re-write history such as Islam can forget about complex mathematics as well!

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Why? You will argue with me no matter what I say because I am on the side of Christianity...We do this in every thread and why stop now? I am not wasting my time or off topic posts (other than this) to explain why I am not battling you AGAIN on religion! I said I am on his side, no need for me to explain to you anything other than that. I don't agree and don't need facts or re-reading something to form my opinion.

You see that's the problem: Sides.

There are no "sides" in this.

It's history. Period.

Did the crusades happen? Yes. That's history.
Did the moors invade Spain? Yes. That's history.
Did the Spanish Inquisition happen? Yes. That's history.
Did Muhammad help create Islam around 610 AD? Yes. THAT is history.

There is no Their Side/Our Side of it. It's history that is well documented.

If a class in school is going to be World History over a certain time period in a certain area, ALL things about it should be taught, and having home schooled my son, I can tell you it is.

If we deny our children the knowledge of past things, how can they in turn help avoid future things that could turn out bad? How can they learn to understand different people and cultures?

Or should we instead teach nothing but some indoctronated opinion? Make good little robots out of them, and have them not question anything, or learn anything about the world around them?

There is no "side" and those that insist there is, are doing a disservice to children around the world. It's a world they will inherit. They should know what's out there and how things came to be.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join