It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No, marijuana use doesn’t lower your IQ

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElohimJD

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

I have to say though that arguing over IQ with someone who doesn't see such simple logic is perhaps all the proof that is needed.

Korg.

Someone call Alanis Morissette, THIS is IRONY.

I take it you didn't read my subtlety very well.

It was a comment stating I must be stupid to argue with someone about logic even a child could understand.

Korg.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Korg Trinity

I see now... You don't know what the words "permanent" and "temporary" mean... You should go consult a dictionary, it will illuminate you as to what my points are in reference to marijuana not doing permanent damage to memory and the effects are only temporary.

Please show me where I said the effects are permanent?

Because the only way that memory loss could effect IQ is if it were permanent. That should be obvious. If I break my arm, it doesn't mean that my ability to throw a baseball is permanently effected. No it's a temporary injury, that once healed, I'll be right back up to 100%. This is the same thing. A temporary decrease in memory ability that comes back once you aren't high.

Though I have never known a stoner to be 'Dry' for very long....

Korg.

The frequency of use is irrelevant if all the person has to do is quit to regain their memory capacity.
edit on 23-10-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I see now... You don't know what the words "permanent" and "temporary" mean... You should go consult a dictionary, it will illuminate you as to what my points are in reference to marijuana not doing permanent damage to memory and the effects are only temporary.

Please show me where I said the effects are permanent?

Because the only way that memory loss could effect IQ is if it were permanent. That should be obvious.

Though I have never known a stoner to be 'Dry' for very long....

Korg.

The frequency of use is irrelevant if all the person has to do is quit to regain their memory capacity.

Oh I see... so the IQ test you think should only be taken during the period of none consumption! Ahhh that makes sense!!

Korg.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Why wouldn't you take it during non-consumption? Isn't the idea to be at peak proficiency? Would you enter a foot race with a broken ankle?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Why wouldn't you take it during non-consumption? Isn't the idea to be at peak proficiency? Would you enter a foot race with a broken ankle?

That would only prove if the effects were permanent or not.

To gain a real picture of the effects the test should be conducted with a test group when dry and then measured again during the effects of smoking cannabis.

This would give a true picture of the effects of smoking cannabis.... let me dig about i'm sure there has been a clinical trial.

Korg.
edit on 23-10-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

That would only produce temporary effects. IQ change is a long term effect. If the effects go away when you aren't high, then it is no different then taking a performance enhancing drug while playing sports (except in this case it has the opposite effect). It changes your baseline temporarily and once it wears off, the change goes away.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

That would only produce temporary effects. IQ change is a long term effect. If the effects go away when you aren't high, then it is no different then taking a performance enhancing drug while playing sports (except in this case it has the opposite effect). It changes your baseline temporarily and once it wears off, the change goes away.

This is where you are making your error. IQ is measured by sampling at set times. and even if you were to analyse the data over a timeline, you would have to include the test results during the times stoned... and average the values to gain an average IQ over the time interval.

An example of this... if you were drunk and you took an IQ test you wouldn't score very well.... why is that?? because you are drunk.... then you sampled IQ when sober and you add the two values together and devide by two. this would give you an average IQ over a time period.....

You would score a lower average IQ in that time than if you had not been drunk....

The same is true of being stoned.

It seems incredible to me that you are arguing something so simple to understand!

Korg.
edit on 23-10-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

That would be true if intelligence was in some way considered to be related to ability to perform a task. Cannabis clearly inhibits task performance via reduced concentration and short-term and working memory (just like alcohol). All these would affect test results but wouldn't necessarily reveal that the person no longer understood the concepts in the tests.

One difference between cannabis and alcohol is that with cannabis the brain basically switches off those areas of the brain until the person has sobered up (with no detrimental affect to the neurons), however chronic alcoholism can lead to permanent damage to hippocampal and frontal lobe areas of the brain (Korsakoff's Syndrome - 95% of time down to alcoholism).

The studies in the OP article were arguing that IQ over time diminishes through cannabis use. So they would predict that an 8 year old's IQ would be higher than chronic smoker who was sober whilst taking the test. That's a different argument.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Tricky to describe, being mindful of the T&C's and all, but I may chime in....

I did an IQ test a few months ago - I had just done a 12 hour night shift and let's just say I don't like a beer after work - I scored 160.

160! After being awake for close to 24 hours, having done a full night at work and then being "hazy"...

Puts that argument to bed, as far as I am concerned.

Either that, or my "sober" IQ is astronomical....

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: liteonit6969
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I agree totally with all of the positive effects it has on people and in a perfect world devoid of the corruption and manipulation of our minds it would have in my opinion world changing potential. The calm induced by it could potentially allow our minds to expand and view life in a new way developing the more subtle relationships with everyone and everything.

I don't want it legalized either, at least not yet.
Did you see the market yesterday? HEMP up 60%, I think MDBX also. MJNA was up well over 20%. It was just ridiculous on the Marijuana Index. Huge volatility means huge gains and/or losses. Predicting the movement is difficult but it helps reading tons of crap on ATS.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Seeing as some of the smartest people I know indulge in professor green id say no **** Sherlock

At uni the lazy ones binge drank the smart ones smoked weed.

Maybe I would have got a better score if id smoked not drank

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Quite - it's proven drinking actually kills brain cells, hence the hangovers!

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

Quite - it's proven drinking actually kills brain cells, hence the hangovers!

To be fair was never much of a drinker either. Can count on 1 hand how many times I got drank, never liked the after effects. Probably why I could afford to run a car at university! But the reall heavy drinkers either were doing the easy courses and getting there BA's or if on BSc courses which I was on got below 2.2's or failed

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I used to drink quite a bit up until my daughter was born, when I was 21, but never really liked going overboard and certainly didn't like the feeling the next morning! Another bonus of smoking weed - no after affects the next day!

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
Another bonus of smoking weed - no after affects the next day!

I have been tempted for health reason but I think im too much of a wuss when it comes to breaking the law

But have been around smokers quiet happily and prefer there company to drinkers.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

16 years and not one arrest for it - that's all I have to say.

The peeps that do get caught for it are the one's who'll smoke in public (down the park, in the street etc) or carry it on them while committing other offences (duh....)

In the privacy of one's own home, who's going to know?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Its the buying bit that worry's me

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Why not legalize heroine while were at it. Drugs are drugs...

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: 3u40r15m

And some drugs are legal, and some aren't. Not sure of your point.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3u40r15m
Why not legalize heroine while were at it. Drugs are drugs...

O get a basic science text book and read some facts.

MJ has nowhere near the toxicity or addictiveness or even Alcohol let Heroine.

I can counter you back this:

If MJ is Illegal then why is Alcohol not illegal I mean drugs are drugs...........

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join